Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have had VERY little time lately and I have 2 coats of SG on my ML right now that were applied a little over a week apart. It has been about 2 weeks since then, can I still apply more SG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. They get a little harder to remove but present no real problems.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    over 2 months apart with no problems. Just make sure the car is clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Brad and DK. Happy detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Orange Peel on Black Vehicles

I would like to get the opinion of everyone on what is their preferred way to remove the orange peel off of black vehicles. I understand that it all depends on hard/soft paint and couple other factors. I think that wet sanding would probably be the best but would worry about doing too much damage. X_X I would almost rather have a professional like yourselves to do the work but fear Da Rules! Thanks a bunch!
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits" - Ron White

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_28 View Post
    I would like to get the opinion of everyone on what is their preferred way to remove the orange peel off of black vehicles. I understand that it all depends on hard/soft paint and couple other factors. I think that wet sanding would probably be the best but would worry about doing too much damage. X_X I would almost rather have a professional like yourselves to do the work but fear Da Rules! Thanks a bunch!

Removing orange peel is done via wet sanding.

The biggest problem is that with most factory painted cars today you really don`t have an adequate amount of clear to safely remove the orange peel.

Can it be done? To a degree, yes. But it would be at the risk of striking through as well as premature clear coat failure.

Do I suggest doing it? Nope.

If this is a repainted car then you likely have much more paint to work with.

Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a real shame. Most of us have the same issue. I wanted to get rid of some orange peel on my Sky but being that it`s factory painted there was no way I was going to eat up my clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that is disappointing. But that is unforunately typical these days. Everyone trys to cut out as much as they can to deliver a "acceptable" product. Thanks guys!
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits" - Ron White

Post Thanks / Like
    Just learn to live with it.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuck91 View Post
    Just learn to live with it.
    It just kinda sucks!!
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    So, this leads me to this question (for instance)... Barry, that sweet Q7 you are working on right now. I see the before and after on the paint, does that have any orange peel on it? Because what I have seen so far it does not seem that way. This is what I see with almost all of the vehicles I see on here, which led me to think that no one has orange peel on their vehicles except me.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, this leads me to this question (for instance)... Barry, that sweet Q7 you are working on right now. I see the before and after on the paint, does that have any orange peel on it? Because what I have seen so far it does not seem that way. This is what I see with almost all of the vehicles I see on here, which led me to think that no one has orange peel on their vehicles except me.
    No Lou, there is no Orange Peel on the Q7 I am working on, but I have seen many cars that have it. My wife`s 2010 Beige Toyota Camery has a little bit of it.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to argue with Barry, but I find some level of orange peel (i.e. not wet sanded smooth) on all new vehicles. You only need to check our friend in eastern europe who tames those Italian horses so see what I mean (yes you Jesse!):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Can it be done? To a degree, yes.

Do I suggest doing it? Nope.

Good advice.....

Post Thanks / Like
    My Sky has some peel on the lower corner panel areas. The rest of the car, especially hood and the rear lid are very smooth. It`s not so bad anywhere that you will easily notice it in pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information