Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    DK, if we agree that this happens, it happens for the following reasons

Evaporation

Dissolved Gasses

Convection

Surroundings

Supercooling

Out of these which one(s) apply? Certainly evaporation has a cooling effect more on warm water then cold water the other is probably surrondings, but again did we confirm this phenomenon on are cars even?

Post Thanks / Like
    So what,s the bottom line ? When it is below freezing, should I wash with warm, or cold water?

Post Thanks / Like

Working Menz PO85RD

How much can you work PO8RD once it turns clear?

I was experimenting last night and it seemed to have no ill effect.

Is there any benefit to continue to polish using lighter pressure? I really am not sure if there was any positive effect either but obviously did not spend a lot of time since I was trying to finish up the car (not even 1/4 way done doing it at night). I had just work it until it clears plus a few light passes.

I also had run it at speed 5 with the flex and then decided to try speed 5.5 (just not quite 6) and it did work a little faster. Any harm at 6?

If you notice, I have doing some polishing but do not often try varying anything if the one routine gave satisfactory results. Now, I am getting curious about the variables to see if I can get better results.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    How much can you work PO8RD once it turns clear?

I was experimenting last night and it seemed to have no ill effect.

Is there any benefit to continue to polish using lighter pressure? I really am not sure if there was any positive effect either but obviously did not spend a lot of time since I was trying to finish up the car (not even 1/4 way done doing it at night). I had just work it until it clears plus a few light passes.

I also had run it at speed 5 with the flex and then decided to try speed 5.5 (just not quite 6) and it did work a little faster. Any harm at 6?

If you notice, I have doing some polishing but do not often try varying anything if the one routine gave satisfactory results. Now, I am getting curious about the variables to see if I can get better results.
    I work 85rd to death when using to jewel the paint. Once the abbrasives break down it`s like jewelers rouge. Most stop too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know Al. After having conversation with Kevin, I wonder if I`m doing anything right ut:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don`t know Al. After having conversation with Kevin, I wonder if I`m doing anything right ut:
    Flash, do we need to get you on a couch and take notes. You know you are a darn good detailer.
    Now that will be $50 for my time.....jk
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve easily gone 9 passes with it on speed 6 with the 3401 getting lighter as I go towards the end. Paint looks great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd did a great writeup on this.
    Check it out.
    http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...light=jeweling
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I`ve easily gone 9 passes with it on speed 6 with the 3401 getting lighter as I go towards the end. Paint looks great.
    That is what i wanted to hear. When it turns clear, it is virtually gone and the paint has a squeaky feel since it comes off so cleanly.

I just was not sure how much I should continue to refine. I did some tape offs to see comparisons but nothing really noticeable- maybe yes but not sure.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Once its broken down (clear) there really isnt any benefit to continue...if you choose to continue use light pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw5541 View Post
    Todd did a great writeup on this.
    Check it out.
    http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/sh...light=jeweling
    Todd uses a rotary and says do not overwork it. Now, it becomes when it is overworked. It definitely breaks down based upon speed, pressure, so maybe with a DA the work time is a bit longer.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I`ve never counted but I must be in the same range Cory and agree, the paint looks great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that write up by Todd. I have read it probably 5-6 times through. I have alot of 85rd but havent had a chance to use it in a long time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I`ve never counted but I must be in the same range Cory and agree, the paint looks great.
    Let me ask it this way. Corey says 9 passes and you tend to agree around that number. I found with a 6.5-in black pad / Flex DA speed 5 that if you use a minimal amount of polish it starts the clear transition around pass 4 to 5. After two more passes it is generally clear except sometimes on the perimeter.

The question is once it is clear how many passes do you continue to work the polish once it reaches this point since the transition depends on speed, amount of polish used, etc so just saying 9 may not be the best way to get a common benchmark.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Let me ask it this way. Corey says 9 passes and you tend to agree around that number. I found with a 6.5-in black pad / Flex DA speed 5 that if you use a minimal amount of polish it starts the clear transition around pass 4 to 5. After two more passes it is generally clear except sometimes on the perimeter.

The question is once it is clear how many passes do you continue to work the polish once it reaches this point since the transition depends on speed, amount of polish used, etc so just saying 9 may not be the best way to get a common benchmark.
    I`m surprised it is clear after 6-7 passes for you. You are right though, there are some factors that allow the product to break down at different speeds for us. My problem with answering you`re question based on when its "clear" is I might have a different definition of clear then you depending on the lighting, paint color, etc. that we each see it break down under. Next time I use it I will pay much more attention to when I think it is clear. For my definition of clear I`m pretty sure I stop the machine there or run it 1-2 passes at the most with just the weight of the machine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information