Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Eagle One Tire Swipes with my tire dressing all the time. (Zaino and Eagle One Concours Satin). My swipes seep to get all leaky and slimy after a few uses. So much so that I can`t pick them up without getting the gunk all over my hands.

Does anyone else experience this? If not, what is your trick?

I love the swipes and will continue to use them but it would be better if they didn`t get slimy.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    The yellow part gets as slippery as ... well FLONI.

Happens to me all the time plus when using 303 and such types the stuff tends to drip out easily. It seems the foam is too ... foamy.. er big holes.. that the really liquid stuf seeps out.

For gels it is OK but then the yellow hang-er-on thingy gets real slippery.

Once I got a knive and cut little grooves down the lenght og the yello to better hang onto it.

Another time I grabed the yellow with a crappy small wash cloth. that helped keep my hands clean but still a PIA.

Maybe we need to invent a better one??

Post Thanks / Like
    I thunk of something else.

After you apply protectant to swipe then the first time you touch the tire it all leaks out onto the tire and you have to swipe fast or it drips on the wheel. But then if you go to fast your hand slips off and you drop the puppy.

I am not applying that much either 2-3 sprays with 303. Remember I have big tires with tons of things to grab the swipe and cause it to slip out of my slicked up hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    with the Zaino stuff.I always wait to do the tires last because the slim gets under my finger nails and on my hands and I do`nt want get this slim on my paint.I try to use a different swipe for Zaino than I use for 303 and the 303 does`nt seem to get as bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess My Name, 2-3 squirts of 303? I apply about 5-7 drops of Z-16 unto the swipe at a time. If I`m using 303, I gently squeeze the trigger so that a small amount drips unto the swipe. Then I work the swipe into 1/4th or less of the tire. I really work it in until I get an even layer. I repeat this procedure about 4-5 times to get the whole tire and then go to the next tire. Also, I cut the tire swipes in half. The smaller swipe size allows better maneuverability.

I find that by using a small amount and really working it in, there is hardly any residual dressing left on the swipe and my yellow handles never get slimey. Also, the dressing never leaks out of the swipe on first contact with the tire and there is also no need to buff the tire again in 15, 30 mins or however long you`re supposed to wait. I just rub it in during the first application till I get it to the gloss level I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like cuttin them in 1/2`s....i used to get the slimy`s when i switched to 303 for tires...it took me a few days to realize what u said...i was using way too much....

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    here`s what I used (when I used oily tire dressing) hands don`t get messy at all

you can store the swipe in the glove turned inside out partly so that no oily stuff is exposed when you have it lying around.

Post Thanks / Like
    :p what is this country coming to....and Jas is on your site...i mean he`ll be representing our country soon....disgraceful.. ....BTW.do those come in blue??

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that if I use 303, I can wash the Tire Swipe clean and it`s okay. The first time I used the Swipe with the Eagle One WET Tire Shine, it turned black and slimey and I had to throw it away. I will never use the Eagle One WET Tire Shine again. The new EO Protectant Lotion is like a hand lotion and has a nice low gloss and it is not as slimey on the Tire Swipes but 303 is the easiest to clean out of the Tire Swipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the regular swipes only cover half of my tire. The SUV swipes are jnot big enough either. My tires are 265/70/17. They are huge! and have a large profile. Monster truck like!

I have tried one squirt but I get no where. My tires have ridges and stuff in them that need to have the swipe pushed into else they don`t get any. It is hard to describe but the swipey grabs at my dry and clean tire and tends to flip out of my hand until I get some 303 or Z on there.

Now after I do the first coat the second one applies much easier.

I let the first one sit like 30 mins or so. Then I can apply like one spray total per tire. I do this after I let her roll backwards a bit to get the naked spot. I then let that ist for another 30 mins or so. I then buff with old MF.

Go to your local Chevy place and try them big ole tires your self. Hell when I took them off to Z the inside of the wheels like to give me a freaking hernia. They HUGE!

Post Thanks / Like
    MB, I see what you mean. I forgot that you drive an SUV.

When I am applying dressing to tires with a lot of grooves and uneven surfaces, I dab the swipe inches apart and then work it into the tire (a quarter of the tire at a time). But that`s just for my tires. I haven`t seen your tires but I completely believe you when you say that your tires present sort of a different problem than mine with regard to size and texture. Like my wife always says, size DOES matter, in more ways than one. Haha, so does thickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    An Honest wife good for you!!!!

I will try the spray less and dab more techniques. I will wipe only after tires are covered.

Post Thanks / Like

3M "Clear Bra" Protective Paint Coating...

There are several brands of these clear plastic paint coatings. They are designed to keep the vehicle`s paint free of rock and bug chips for guys who do a lot of highway road trips...

I have considered putting this on the front bumper, headlights and mirrors of the new Vette, since we have a lot of road trips planned...

My main concern: I`ve seen these Clear-Bras that were neglected, and even though the paint was flawless underneath, the surface of the clear-bra itself looked HORRIBLE. Loaded with swirlmarks and etching from bug-guts!

My main questions:

1. How easy is it to scratch clear bra?

2. How easy/difficult is it to remove said swirl marks on this plastic coating?

3. Does polishing leave hazing?

4. Will it ever look as good as the paint underneath?

5. Is it worth it, or should I take my chances with the rocks and bugs? (the way I`ve always done it in the past!)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not do it Bill.

I think keeping lots of sealant on that vette, which I know you will do, is going to really help.

On some of the neglected vehicles I have done, they looked worse than the paint when they go downhill.

Plus I have found that you have to be careful when polishing or waxing since it can get stuck in the lines. Real PITA to get out too.
    Nick
    Tucker`s Detailing Services
    2012 Ford Transit Connect
    815-954-0773

Post Thanks / Like
    Most film (even under different names) is now owned by 3M but the quality varies greatly.

IMHO most films do not look like natural paint and have either a hazy look and or a lot of orange peel.

The only film that DOES NOT really distort the look of paint is 3M Venture film, its the most exclusive as most guys do not use it and its the most expensive but it looks damn good, zero orange peel and zero haze when applied correctly, that is if the installer dont over stretch it and you get stretch marks.

As for handling film it really is not very difficult, you just have to be careful and use common sense.

A few tips which I cannot emphasize enough. Do not use any alcohol on it, so no IPA wipedowns as that can dry out the plastic over time. I really like megs final inspection for wipedowns or prep work on film.

Use a DA for polishing, generates less heat and glides smoothly over the film, best polishes I have used on film are Menzerna 106FA and if needed P203s powerfinish. This will not haze up the film but instead clean it up well and leave a smooth finish.

If you keep it well protected than it really shouldnt be any trouble to keep clean and swirl free at all.

Here is a drophead coupe that has the entire body wrapped in 3M Venture film from Premier Films in CA.

You really cant tell anything is on there, flake comes through and the gloss is right where it needs to be...

^^^^ That is quality film, installed properly!

This is an M3 will a lesser quality film which had some swirls, big guts and rubber marks from the track, a 50/50... yes its correctable!

Close up of the film AFTER full correction and LSP (blackfire at the time)

Clean yes, but the orange peel is horrible, see how much of a different quality film makes?

My choice would be to go for it Bill, protect the most vulnerable areas from rock chips etc. Really does help.
    David Saunders

Street Dreams Detail
    Now in San Diego California

..And as for the critics, tell me I don`t get it
    Everybody can tell you how to do it, they never did it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information