Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Len_A [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I hope I don`t get flamed on this, but the best thing I ever found in the winter time here in Detroit was two or three coats of <strong class=`bbc`>Meguiar`s No. 20 Polymer Sealant [/b].

[/b]</blockquote>
    You creep!!! haha, j/k

Klasse, Zaino, Meguair`s.. Most of those polymer-type products are fundamentally the same when it comes to durability. There are a few small differences in things such as appearance, application, ease of removal, etc. Klasse provides a deeper shine....Zaino is slicker...etc...etc.

So even though I haven`t tried it, I`m sure Meg`s #20 provides great durability and will provide adequate protection through a harsh winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Len_A, I feel your winter pain. Do the quick detailer`s work OK for you when it is below freezing, or are you in a heated garage?

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by autopia [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>jps,

I think I understand the problem.

Most HP car washes use very heavy detergents to clean. In my testing, Dawn will remove BF, Klasse, Zaino, Autoglym, Mirror Glaze, NuFinish, and most other sealants. I have not found one yet that can stand up to multiple HP washes if the carwash owner uses a hard wash detergent.

db [/b]</blockquote>
    David,

When you say HP car washes, do you mean the do-it-yourself High Pressure coin-op car washes? If so, then is it safe to assume that it would be OK to use them but just don`t turn the knob to "high-pressure soap?" These are pretty much the only places I can wash my car.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jps [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Hey Len_A, I feel your winter pain. Do the quick detailer`s work OK for you when it is below freezing, or are you in a heated garage? [/b]</blockquote>
    Thry`re a pain in freezing weather, but even though the garage <strong class=`bbc`>isn`t[/b] heated, it`s attached, and usually a few degrees warmer than the rest of the outside air. To be blunt, when it gets <strong class=`bbc`>REALLY[/b] cold, like consistantly below freezing, I won`t even bother with the quick detailers at home. Instead, there`s an <strong class=`bbc`>In-Door Do-It-Yourself[/b] place about five miles from home where you can drive your car in, grab a stall, and bucket wash to your hearts content. One, it lines up like crazy in the winter time (understandable), and Two, I hope it`s still in business this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>No flames intended.

The Meguiars #20 polymer sealant contains cleaners in it that will strip off/weaken the previous coat of #20. So in short, there will not be three coats of #20, maybe 1 to 1/2.

Also Meguiars #26 Hi-tech yellow wax is a good wax, but lacks in durability, get about 4 weeks on it. I prefer Blitz. If durability was not an issue, I`ll pick up my Souveran.

Just my 1 cent,
    Jason [/b]</blockquote>
    <strong class=`bbc`>Jason [/b] - I`ve seen others say that the No. 20 has a cleaner in it, yet neither Meguiar`s website, nor the bottle mention any. I`m going to email them and flatout ask them and see what they say.

I`ve always, especially with an orbital polisher, had better longevity with multiple coats of No. 20 than with single coats, but now, I`m just dam curious about the idea of a cleaner in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have found that Dawn will remove Zaino? Interesting......
    1999 Mercedes ML 430...Black

autopia
    I was corrected in a couple of PMs that Dawn and other detergents don`t remove sealants. This is particularly true from a painter`s perspective. It really takes a solvent, like alcohol or PrepSol to remove sealants.

I agree with this, however, I think everyone knew what I meant... the HP car wash detergent dulled the nice finish of the BF protectant.

Ronin... does Dawn remove Zaino? Remove, no. Dull, yes. I`m sure the protection is still available, but not the shine. My understanding is that many Zaino users wash with Dawn before applying new coats of polish.

I got another email with concern to using Dawn. Is it safe? Yes it is, if you plan to re-seal or re-wax the car. However, my own feeling is that use of Dawn should be limited to a couple times a year.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawn is good for removing carnubas and oils from your paint for prepping to use a polymer sealant. I never use it very concentrated or more than 1-2 times a year MAX. If you dawn wash over a sealant it could leave a film that could dull the finish or reduce water beading which would make one think that the sealant was removed, but in fact if you wash with a standard car wash, you will see that gloss and water beading reappear. Dawn has a high alkaline content, and will remove some sealants, but not all of them.

Depending on the location and time of year, auto car washes use different types of detergents. These can be as mild as baby shampoo to very harsh detergents that could strip some sealants, and most definately strip carnuba. I would avoid these washes at all costs. If anything, use a self serve wash, with your own car soap.

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>...............These can be as mild as baby shampoo to very harsh detergents that could strip some sealants, and most definately strip carnuba. I would avoid these washes at all costs. If anything, use a self serve wash, with your own car soap. [/b]</blockquote>
    Problem I have with the self serve car washes around here is that hand washing is prohibited. What they would do if I showed up with my own bucket and wash mitts is in question - a question that I will have an answer to this winter, as I intend to test the waters, so-to-speak. Personally, I want to see someone tell me in person that I can`t hand wash my car in their self service wash bays on some slow day when no one is lined up waiting to wash their cars(LOL).

:bounce

Post Thanks / Like

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>

You creep!!! haha, j/k

Klasse, Zaino, Meguair`s.. Most of those polymer-type products are fundamentally the same when it comes to durability. There are a few small differences in things such as appearance, application, ease of removal, etc. Klasse provides a deeper shine....Zaino is slicker...etc...etc.

So even though I haven`t tried it, I`m sure Meg`s #20 provides great durability and will provide adequate protection through a harsh winter. [/b]</blockquote>
    Creep!?!?!? How dare you!! LOL

<strong class=`bbc`>Intermezzo330I[/b] - I haven`t tried any of the other polymer sealants - <strong class=`bbc`><em class=`bbc`>YET[/i][/b], but I can say that the Meguiars No. 20 is REAL easy to take off, while the Meguiars Medallion (which isn`t worth a damn as far as I`m concerned) doesn`t some off near as fast. May try Blackfire next spring, after I finish my supply of Meguiars No. 20. Durability of the No. 20 has been incredible in the nearly fifteen years that I`ve used the stuff. Applying this last time around with my Porter Cable polisher only seems to improve the results, although I don`t know why orbital polisher applied seems to be more durable than hand applied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Len_A,

I live in the Detroit area and found that if you go to the self wash places early in the morning or late in the evening when there isn`t a lot of people there, the owners don`t care if you hand wash. I had the owners walk right by me and say hi. They just don`t want you holding up traffic when it is busy. I found the Meguiars #20 is a great sealant, but doesn`t hold up as long as Klasse. The #20 is easier to apply though and can be bought at any Murray`s auto store instead of only online. If you like the results with #20 I see no reason for you to change. With Klasse though you may notice some increase in shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in the same situation as many others here: No garage or way to hand wash and detail my car during Winter. Seems odd that most of us don`t know someone nearby with a heated garage or similar space.

By the way, should someone in the North Shore area of Massachusetts have such a heated garage, please, please, PLEASE let me use it a couple of times this season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the best product to keep that car clean during the winter and allow you to hose off dirt would be a second car. Sorry.

But I do not think there will ever be a product that is miraculous and allows all road grime to simple rinse off. They would make better dirt then so you buy more detailing stuff then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could try shrink wrapping your car, and then just removing it and reapplying it after it gets dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good one WAXMAN what about them tearoff thingys Motorcross riders have on their eyeshields. Just roll down your window while driving and peel back a layer. LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information