Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally found a place where I can discuss this "garage` obsession

Here`s what I`ve done so far:

So far the remodel includes:
    4 - 20A circuits & receptacles (3 4X per wall)
    2 - Overhead flourescent lights (white enclosed boxes)
    1 - Epoxy "granite look" floor
    36`- of custom maple cabinets (floor to ceiling)
    1 - Custom cabinet over heater & Water heater
    2 - Parkzone "platinum" Parking assist units
    1 - Wayne Dalton Thermowayne II Garage Door
    1 - Wayne Dalton Doormaster opener

* If you`re shopping, this is the really trick setup. No opener in the garage, it`s on the header & turns the spring.

1 - Extra powdercoating for garage door rails
    1 - GE Spacesaver Mini-Refrigerator
    1 - 20" Sony Wega Television on a pull out swivel
    1 - Sony STRDE135 Stereo Receiver
    1 - Sony 5-Disc CD Changer
    1 - ReplayTV 4000 PVR
    1 - Retractable screen door (garage--> house)
    1 - Hose Dragon motorized hose retractor built into one of the cabinets along with a water spigot.
    1 - Ethernet, Cable, telephone line (spare) and speaker wire run to stereo location.
    1 - Bose subwoofer (hidden in a vented cabinet) and 3 cube speakers
    1 - Wireless motion detector off of home alarm system. (all controlled by any phone in the house or dial in)
    1- Fire Extinguisher

Here`s a before picture:

Here`s today: (80% done)

Monday the cabinet maker returns to finish the back wall. Basically, it`s going to be done to match the side walls, with all maple melamine. I`m considering skinning the door and painting the door frame.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome.

That looks fantastic. I spend enough time in the garage as it is, I`d never leave if it looked like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks utterly fantastic. As someone with no garage at all, I am very envious.

A job well done :up

Steven

Alfa 164

autopia
    Wow! What lucky car gets to call that garage home?

Just curious... where`s the workbench?

db

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by autopia [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Wow! What lucky car gets to call that garage home?

Just curious... where`s the workbench?

db

[/b]</blockquote>
    2002 Black/Black SC430

On the back wall, there will be a 24W X 40D fold down work bench behind two doors. The back wall is being finished with 6 doors, 4 to cover the water heater and house heater, the other 2 for the fold down bench. I do have a decent sized Craftsman tool box in one of the cabinets, which required that shelf to be fixed in place and reinforced.

This garage wasn`t intended as a "mechanics garage", more of a super clean car garage with tons of storage. I do have a water outlet in one of the cabinets with a Hose Dragon electric, hose reel. (VERY COOL) Also, a wall mount shop vac is installed in another. It all works very well for the intent.

Almost done...

I`ve learned a bunch with this one. The next one will be a 3 car, most likely 2 wide and 2 deep on one side. (Since I`m looking for a spot to build in the Channel Islands Harbor area, 3 wides are pretty rare) I really need the indoor space for a boat and a couple of Jet Ski`s. I have even better plans for the next one! Stay tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    :up ..............that is an awesome garage....those cabinets are huge....how deep are they

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all 24" deep, most are 36" wide with a couple 44" for wider storage such as bicycles hanging. of course, they all have full backs and go completely to the ceiling. Even the little gap at the top was filled.

Post Thanks / Like
    fantastic job.....be sure to send a pic when you have everything all stuffed in there....because as unbelievable as it seems now....in less than a yr or so...you`ll prbably have them all filled up....but the bright side is...now u have a great excuse to buy all new stuff...cant have a bunch of empty cabinets now can we..............

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Nice Garage. Many people here, including myself, have been fixing up their garages before winter hits. I had my floor done in 2-part Epoxy a few weeks ago. :up I dont have a big budget for the garage, and I spent some money to have the floor done by a pro, so I have to do most of the cabinet work myself. If you don`t mind my asking, how much did it cost you to redo your garage like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything totaled was just at $14K. That includes $2,000 for the garage door and the additional $1,500 I am spending for the back wall to be completed.

I looked at "off the shelf" cabinets, but decided to have a custom job done. One issue was the beam across the top at 7` in. It is actually incorporated into the cabinets. It was also a challenge for the door opener. Everyone in my neighborhood with this model home has their door coming under the beam and a traditional opener below that. We did some exact measurements and determined with a high rise rail, we could take a foot out of the door depth and with the Wayne Dalton opener, it would be completely hidden. See the bottom pic? The door slides up and comes within 1" of the beam, yet tucks perfectly in place. The garage light is actually where the opener gets it`s power, it`s also the radio. I`ve been thinking about relocating it to the other side of the beam for an even more dramatic effect. The really cool thing about that opener is that it is really DC powered and it`s power feed (a thin phone line) actually is charging the batteries. I accidentally unplugged the opener and it worked fine for 5 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, $14K for the garage. I wish I had that kind of money to spend on the garage. It looks great though, nice job. :up

Post Thanks / Like

Got a tough one for you guys!

Ok guys I need some serious help and quick haha! i am doing some side work for a friend of mine that owns a local car audio store, Metro Audio Dynamics. He has a Toyota SUV that has been completely customized. It was painted Dec 20th 2009 and the painter that did it, well to put it bluntly did a **** job. It had a ton of orange peel, dirt nibs and fish eyes. To make matters worse, they brought in a guy that didnt have a clue on what he was doing to wet sand and buff it. The guy did an ok job wet sanding it, but it looks like he used his hand and no block. So its wavy on some panels. Which could be from the paint or the body work. Im not sure. The Truck is black.

The clear coat that was used is super ****. It is just garbage stuff. It scratches and swirls super easily. That is where my problem lies. When I am wiping off the polish/compound, it swirls the paint and leaves slight hair line scratches. Im using Micro fiber towels that I got through my BFWD kit. So I know those shouldnt swirl the clear but they are. They are clean, i washed them by themselves in my washer. They havent been around anything that would leave stuff on the surface. I make sure if i drop on on the concrete, I use a new one. The compound/polish I am using is called Super Sonic. It is truly an amazing product. It can be used on a wool pad to cut and then on the foam pad to bring out the shine. Its what we use at work. It doesnt cut like 3m heavy compound but does a decent job.

Products I am using:
    makita rotary buffer/polisher
    3m wool pad
    3m black waffle pad
    Hi-Temp Super Sonic polish
    Micro fiber towels from Pac.com
    BFWD as the final step

How do I stop the paint from swirling when im taking off the polish? Ive never had this problem before in my life. It completely baffles me. This truck needs to be 110% perfect. Because when im done with it, it is going to LA for a photo shoot for a few car magazines.

Im using the same techniques i use on a daily basis at work, and I never have this issue. ive never had this issue anytime in my life. I think it goes back to the ````ty clear that was used. I should be able to take of it though, hopefully !

So what would you guys suggest?

Thanks!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyg402 View Post
    Ok guys I need some serious help and quick haha! i am doing some side work for a friend of mine that owns a local car audio store, Metro Audio Dynamics. He has a Toyota SUV that has been completely customized. It was painted Dec 20th 2009 and the painter that did it, well to put it bluntly did a **** job. It had a ton of orange peel, dirt nibs and fish eyes. To make matters worse, they brought in a guy that didnt have a clue on what he was doing to wet sand and buff it. The guy did an ok job wet sanding it, but it looks like he used his hand and no block. So its wavy on some panels. Which could be from the paint or the body work. Im not sure. The Truck is black.

The clear coat that was used is super ****. It is just garbage stuff. It scratches and swirls super easily. That is where my problem lies. When I am wiping off the polish/compound, it swirls the paint and leaves slight hair line scratches. Im using Micro fiber towels that I got through my BFWD kit. So I know those shouldnt swirl the clear but they are. They are clean, i washed them by themselves in my washer. They havent been around anything that would leave stuff on the surface. I make sure if i drop on on the concrete, I use a new one. The compound/polish I am using is called Super Sonic. It is truly an amazing product. It can be used on a wool pad to cut and then on the foam pad to bring out the shine. Its what we use at work. It doesnt cut like 3m heavy compound but does a decent job.

Products I am using:
    makita rotary buffer/polisher
    3m wool pad
    3m black waffle pad
    Hi-Temp Super Sonic polish
    Micro fiber towels from Pac.com
    BFWD as the final step

How do I stop the paint from swirling when im taking off the polish? Ive never had this problem before in my life. It completely baffles me. This truck needs to be 110% perfect. Because when im done with it, it is going to LA for a photo shoot for a few car magazines.

Im using the same techniques i use on a daily basis at work, and I never have this issue. ive never had this issue anytime in my life. I think it goes back to the ````ty clear that was used. I should be able to take of it though, hopefully !

So what would you guys suggest?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Mike, I would ask/pm Chad a.k.a. Rasky his advice on this one. He is the resident wet sander here @ TID :judge:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Mike, I would ask/pm Chad a.k.a. Rasky his advice on this one. He is the resident wet sander here @ TID :judge:
    Well the wet sanding isnt the issue. Ive wet sanded more than my fair share of cars haha. On this vehicle the issue at hand is when I wipe the polish clean its leaving swirls behind. I think Im going to try some 3m Ultra Fina with a blue pad on my rotary and see if that will do it

Post Thanks / Like
    About the only thing I can think of is that the polish you`re using is too strong? You did say that you use it on wool and foam? If the paint is as soft as you say it is, I`m guessing the polish may have too much cut. I`m not familiar with 3m products, but I`ve heard good things about Ultrafina. From my own experience, I find FP II/Po85rd on a green polishing pad works great.

In the end, if the paint job is really as bad as you say, you might be SOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information