Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99 View Post
    Thanks, but does that mean it has 6 amps?
    The more I look at it, I think it`s a 4.2 amp machine.

I think the paper is just stating that if your machine is from 0 to 6 amps you`ll need that specific gauge cord for that specific length. I think the 4.2 on the box is the actual amps of that machine.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    How would you compare it to the Flex DA? One of my client`s offered to let me use his brand spanking new Flex and I fell in love! I was gonna buy that Flex off him for $200 (I`m the only person who ever uses it!) but if the G110v2 is comparable/better I might change my mind...

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xconwrathx View Post
    How would you compare it to the Flex DA? One of my client`s offered to let me use his brand spanking new Flex and I fell in love! I was gonna buy that Flex off him for $200 (I`m the only person who ever uses it!) but if the G110v2 is comparable/better I might change my mind...
    I have to admit a bias on this one, because I am not a big fan of the Flex XC 3401 VRG.
    I WANT to be, and I SHOULD be, but I am not. I keep trying, though. Every time I use it, I just don`t enjoy it at all. Well, I DO dig that speed trigger!!

That being said.... if YOU like it, then grab it!
    I realize that the machine is plenty capable, and lots of talented guys use them with great success.

Personally, as far as forced rotation machine go, I REALLY like using the Festool Rotex RO150 FEQ. That puppy can DANCE!

If you go with the Flex, ask the guys on the forum to recommend pads for you.
    If I had to use the Flex from now on as my only machine, and I had to get all my pads RIGHT NOW, I would likely set things up so that I could get satisfactory results at LOWER speed settings. I would try to get cutting pads that weren`t overly stiff and perhaps a little taller (not super thick... I suppose PLIABLE would be the term), and I would try to keep the pad diameter as small as possible. For polishing and waxing, I would likely get something sized more like the Meguiar`s Soft Buff 2.0 pads.

Again- I really liked the G110v2 and did not like the Flex, so take it for what it is- an opinion!
    Kevin Brown
    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar`s/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar`s Distributor/Retailer

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    KEVIN BROWN, my third post with no reply... what is the amps and wattage on the Megs G110v2?
    Sorry I missed you Legacy 99... I figured somebody else would chime in. :banghead:
    They finally did but not before you asked three times (I did not realize you asked three times)..

I don`t have my machine in front of me, but the pics show it as a 4.2 amp, same as the original.
    So, amps x volts = watts, which means we`ve got ourselves about 4,620 watts. On the input side- I don`t know how much juice the motor uses up before it converts it to torque.

Even if this machine is not the most powerful out there, it is a top contender.
    There are other things to consider that also affect output. What is the reason you ask about the rating?
    Kevin Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    Again- I really liked the G110v2 and did not like the Flex, so take it for what it is- an opinion!
    That`s interesting! I think my work could definitely benefit from this new G110v2 machine. I`m sure the 7424XP will always have it`s place in my arsenal, but I`d sure like to try out the the G in a side-by-side comparison!

When will the Gv2 be available for purchase? (Not on PAC website yet... maybe I missed it!)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the G110v2, the feedback circuit works so well to curtail this inherent trait that the orbit speed can be dropped while still delivering impressive polishing results. This is a BIG DEAL in terms of improving COMFORT.
    This leads me to think vibration reduction is achieved by using lower speeds. Is that correct? How would you rate the G110v2`s vibes compared to the PC at comparable speeds? Hand-numbness is one of my biggest gripes with the PC. That and the stoopid placement of the speed dial. Seeing Joe Fernandez` videos using the G110v2 it appears the dial is still on the end of the machine. A nice speed wheel right under ones thumb would be a bonus...

TL

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    This leads me to think vibration reduction is achieved by using lower speeds. Is that correct?
    I would say that the vibration sensation is replaced with a feeling of increased lateral motion.
    Do you have the same discomfort when using your Porter Cable on a lower speed setting?

The following diagrams show what happens to the pattern when the speed is bumped from speed one to speed six on the Meguiar`s G110:

The pen marks clearly show how the slower speed setting creates a smooth curlique pattern at the transition point. On speed six, the transition becomes a point- imagine how abrupt an action it is as this occurs about 6,700 times per minute!

So, if you drop the speed, you may simply be exchanging one uncomfortable motion for another.
    My guess? Things will be much more comfortable at a lower speed setting. It is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    How would you rate the G110v2`s vibes compared to the PC at comparable speeds? Hand-numbness is one of my biggest gripes with the PC. That and the stupid placement of the speed dial. Seeing Joe Fernandez` videos using the G110v2 it appears the dial is still on the end of the machine. A nice speed wheel right under ones thumb would be a bonus...
    TL
    Ahh, good question. If I recall, the Porter Cable seemed to be a bit more buzzy.
    However- I did not do a dedicated side-by-side comparison of the two (I was using a lot of different machines).
    I hope someone else chimes in and can supply more specific info on this matter.
    Kevin Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, you are completely awesome! I just thought I`d add that to this. You are a master!

Can`t believe you attached pens to you backing plate to show the movement. Although, that is absolutely genius! :thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Chapman View Post
    Kevin, you are completely awesome! I just thought I`d add that to this. You are a master!

Can`t believe you attached pens to you backing plate to show the movement. Although, that is absolutely genius! :thumbup:
    That was the most AWESOME pic I`ve ever seen! And graph paper.......!

WOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I missed you Legacy 99... I figured somebody else would chime in. :banghead:
    They finally did but not before you asked three times (I did not realize you asked three times)..

I don`t have my machine in front of me, but the pics show it as a 4.2 amp, same as the original.
    So, amps x volts = watts, which means we`ve got ourselves about 4,620 watts. On the input side- I don`t know how much juice the motor uses up before it converts it to torque.

Even if this machine is not the most powerful out there, it is a top contender.
    There are other things to consider that also affect output. What is the reason you ask about the rating?
    The reason is because amps produce torque.

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh... got it.
    Kevin Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    My Festool just keeps going and going............... not bad for a "sander" bought it 2003 or 4 for big bucks $450.00 plus with tax so not many people buy this machine, but it is quality German tightness and the "HYDRO" pads love this machine and so do I.

Jedi Master
    Post Thanks / Like
    To add to this...

I think I did not understand at first the reason you wanted to know how many watts the G110v2 was rated at (none is given that I know of).
    Here are the formulas and info I was searching for and want some input if you can (any electrical gurus PLEASE feel free to chime in):

Electrical power is in general rated in Watts or Horsepower.

A horsepower is a unit of power equal to 746 watts or 33,000 lb.ft per minute (or 550 lb.ft per second).

A watt is a unit of measure equal to the power produced by a current of 1 amp across the potential difference of 1 volt. A watt is 1/746 of 1 horsepower.
    Even if the watt is the base unit of electrical power, its common to rate motor power in either horsepower or watts.

Power in Watts
    Electric power of a motor can be expressed as:
    Pw = ηm U I (1)
    where
    Pw = power (W, watt)
    ηm = motor efficiency
    U = voltage (V)
    I = current (A, amps)

Power in Horsepower
    Horse power of a motor can be expressed as:
    Php = Pw / 746 (2)
    or
    Php = ηm U I / 746 (2b)
    where
    Php = horsepower (hp)

So, you were wondering about watts in relation to horsepower ratings, not watts as an equivalent of amps x volts = watts... right?
    If you are an electrician (or anyone else out there is), or if you just happen to understand these ratings better than me...
    Please help me to understand the red highlighted specs below:

CYCLO MODEL 5 ELECTRIC SPECIFICATIONS:
    Power Supply: 115 Volts, 60 Hertz, 220 Watts
    Motor: alternating current, semi-enclosed 24-bar commutator, Speed: 3000 orbits/minute, Output: 1/3 H.P. (.25 Kw)
    Weight: 6.5 lb. (2.9 kg)
    Head Rotation/Diameter: clockwise/4"
    Electric Cord: 10` length, 16 ga/3SJTOW
    Housing: heavy-duty cast aluminum

I am a bit confused on the Power Supply rating of 220 watts, as it seems to me to mean that only about 2 amps is needed to run this machine (volts x amps = watts). I definitely think I am confused here.

I think I am understanding that the output of the machine is 1/3 horsepower, so that should equate to about 248-2/3 watts.

Thanks!
    Kevin Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to this...

I think I did not understand at first the reason you wanted to know how many watts the G110v2 was rated at (none is given that I know of).
    Here are the formulas and info I was searching for and want some input if you can (any electrical gurus PLEASE feel free to chime in):

Electrical power is in general rated in Watts or Horsepower.

A horsepower is a unit of power equal to 746 watts or 33,000 lb.ft per minute (or 550 lb.ft per second).

A watt is a unit of measure equal to the power produced by a current of 1 amp across the potential difference of 1 volt. A watt is 1/746 of 1 horsepower.
    Even if the watt is the base unit of electrical power, its common to rate motor power in either horsepower or watts.

Power in Watts
    Electric power of a motor can be expressed as:
    Pw = ηm U I (1)
    where
    Pw = power (W, watt)
    ηm = motor efficiency
    U = voltage (V)
    I = current (A, amps)

Power in Horsepower
    Horse power of a motor can be expressed as:
    Php = Pw / 746 (2)
    or
    Php = ηm U I / 746 (2b)
    where
    Php = horsepower (hp)

So, you were wondering about watts in relation to horsepower ratings, not watts as an equivalent of amps x volts = watts... right?
    If you are an electrician (or anyone else out there is), or if you just happen to understand these ratings better than me...
    Please help me to understand the red highlighted specs below:

CYCLO MODEL 5 ELECTRIC SPECIFICATIONS:
    Power Supply: 115 Volts, 60 Hertz, 220 Watts
    Motor: alternating current, semi-enclosed 24-bar commutator, Speed: 3000 orbits/minute, Output: 1/3 H.P. (.25 Kw)
    Weight: 6.5 lb. (2.9 kg)
    Head Rotation/Diameter: clockwise/4"
    Electric Cord: 10` length, 16 ga/3SJTOW
    Housing: heavy-duty cast aluminum

I am a bit confused on the Power Supply rating of 220 watts, as it seems to me to mean that only about 2 amps is needed to run this machine (volts x amps = watts). I definitely think I am confused here.

I think I am understanding that the output of the machine is 1/3 horsepower, so that should equate to about 248-2/3 watts.

Thanks!
    Quantum physics applied to paint correction............ here is what I can understand, does the machine work well? if so there you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    Quantum physics applied to paint correction............ here is what I can understand, does the machine work well? if so there you go.
    KB`s miles ahead of all of us!:biggrin:
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information