Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    the only machine i`ve used other than a rotary is the old type buffer. i wanted the best and quickest correcting machine so i chose the rotary. the learning curve is steep but i wouldn`t go any other way... i may not be correcting 100% like the pros do but its getting closer everytime i do it. i haven`t burnt through any paint yet either...

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the KBM method, one can get the job done with their PC.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another point of view for the rotary, is when it comes to jeweling the paint, as outlined by Todd in his article "Achieving the Ultimate Shine" dated 10-01, he points out that Jeweling can ONLY be accomplished by using an rotary. Also, I find it very interesting, that most, if not all, guys that detail for a living, have both.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both and use either just as often as the other. On softer paints I still like the DA (well....PC). I also like the PC for applying cleaner waxes like Klasse.

Bottom line: They both have strong points. You will not abandon your DA when you get a rotary.

Do it!

:White Horse:
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson buffer View Post
    Another point of view for the rotary, is when it comes to jeweling the paint, as outlined by Todd in his article "Achieving the Ultimate Shine" dated 10-01, he points out that Jeweling can ONLY be accomplished by using an rotary. Also, I find it very interesting, that most, if not all, guys that detail for a living, have both.
    Let me clarify my statement, I believe that a rotary is an integral part of paint `jeweling` as I define it. Other definitions may look at it different, but the process of reducing pressure and speed really only offers a benefit when you used with rotary polishers and a diminishing abrasive polish.

If you are using a non-diminishing abrasive polish or a dual-action polisher you can likely still achieve the same final gloss, but the process required to do so is different IME.

Reducing pressure or using too soft a pad on a dual-action polisher can actually reduce the quality of finish, although so slightly, that most people will never tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still much more comfortable with my circular at this point of my experience level than my DA. I have done the KBM with both machines and can "feel" correction a little better with the circular. As Todd mentioned, I do all of my fine polishing with the circular by varying my pad/product/pressure/speed of movement.

I had been using a DA for about 3 to 4 years before switching out to a circular. Never looked back until the KBM use of 105/205 and even after experimenting a bit with that method I now go to the circular for most cut downs and fine polishing. For me it does save time and offers better results.

Can`t really comment on the Flex having used one for all of about 4 minutes about 2 years ago to try it. At the time I already had my PC DA and my Hitachi Rotary and wasn`t looking to get another buffer. If my PC dies (good luck on that one) I will replace it with one of the current, more powerful DA`s on the market (probably the PC 7424XP).

I use my rotary for a lot more applications on many different paint conditions and characteristics. I just think it`s more versatile once you get a good "feel" for the machine however it`s good to have both as I still use the DA on every detail for AIO and LSP`s.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Kevin Brown has raised the bar on what you can do with a DA, however, I think he acknowledges there remains a time and place for the rotary.

I don`t use a rotary and probably never will because for me, the trade off for speed, isn`t worth the problems that a buffoon like me might encounter with a rotary.

Also, as pointed out, M105/M205 really helped DA users speed up their process of correction.
    Unemployed Since 2009 - Gibs Me Dat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I think Kevin Brown has raised the bar on what you can do with a DA, however, I think he acknowledges there remains a time and place for the rotary.

I don`t use a rotary and probably never will because for me, the trade off for speed, isn`t worth the problems that a buffoon like me might encounter with a rotary.

Also, as pointed out, M105/M205 really helped DA users speed up their process of correction.

Wonder where ole Kev has been....Hadn`t heard from him in ages :yawn:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information