Post Thanks / Like

Post Share your masking expertise, tips & tricks

I sure everyone could benefit from a thread concerning masking technique and do`s and dont`s - I for one have found polish getting where I didnt want it to go. May not be a huge subject but the combined knowledge would make this a good one to bookmark for reference.
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egoXtension View Post
    I sure everyone could benefit from a thread concerning masking technique and do`s and dont`s - I for one have found polish getting where I didnt want it to go. May not be a huge subject but the combined knowledge would make this a good one to bookmark for reference.
    Not sure about any real tricks per say, but one tip I I`ll give you that I find very useful is to tape off the wiper blades as it`s near impossible to get off all the little dots that stick onto them, or just put a towel over the windshield.

Same with Convertable tops, cover them with a towel so you don`t get splatter everywhere and stain the material.

Also make sure you tape off areas of extreme angle such as scoops of vents or around the mirror base cause you will more then likely skim it with the pad while polishing and you don`t want to rip off the paint... literally.

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Post Thanks / Like
    Masking off black plastic trim will prevent compound, polish and sealant from penetrating the pores of that material.

I also mask any sharp edges on the trim or emblems to keep from tearing up foam pads! (I ruined a few before I learned that lesson. I still occasionally have a slip!)

Mask the edges of plastic headlight lenses to prevent the pad from accidently rubbing against the lens and doing possible damage.
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

TOGWT
    Painter?s Tape (Masking Tape):

When to use masking tape;
    1. To avoid discolouring the trim with synthetic polishes
    2. Avoid soiling the pad when going over black trim. The dirt from the rubber gets pulled into the pad.
    3. Avoid polish residue built up along the seams of the trim.
    4. Tape edges of paint as to not polish too far since paint is usually thinner on the edges.
    5. Also, tape paint seams to avoid residue in the jams.
    6. Use masking tape to protect from ?burning? trim (rubber, vinyl or metal); around windows, badges, light surrounds etc, can also be used to mask panel edges to avoid thinning the paint surface
    Scotch? 3M Painter`s Tapes are the most versatile in the Scotch? masking tape line. The low adhesion levels make them suitable for use on both coated and non-coated surfaces and are specially designed for safe use on delicate or smooth surfaces such as glass and painted metal, even on freshly painted surfaces.

These tapes are also UV and sunlight resistant, making them ideal for use on glass surfaces, without leaving any sticky residue. Tape sizes available 0.75 to 2-inch

3M Scotch? Performance Masking Tape Green- highly conformable, provides the best adhesive transfer resistance, hugs curves, contours and provides outstanding paint lines. Goes on quickly and easily, sticks at a touch and stays put. This tape has excellent conformability, Transfer resistance, and is resistant to bleed through, also has better UV resistance than traditional masking tapes.

3M`s Scotch? Safe-Release TM Blue Painters` Masking Tape, this tape removes cleanly from a paint film or glass surface without adhesive transfer or surface damage for up to 14 days - even when exposed to direct sunlight. It is a medium adhesion tape with a flexible crepe backing allows for exceptional conformability to semi-smooth surfaces.

To remove any residue use a safe solvent; d-Limonene (3M Citrus-Based Spray Adhesive Remover or 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover)

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t really have any tricks to add but I make sure no adhesive sides are exposed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont cover the trim as if I do that, the 3M painters delicate tape leaves a permanent pattern of it on it

When taping, I move the tape as I go along.
    I start on the hood and put 3/4 of the tape on the front guard section of the panel gap
    then I switch to the other side when doing the guard and I also buff over the tape

because of this, there is no strip of paint that I have to hand buff afterwards and no tape lines

the delicate tape is much better than the green or regular blue

when using Gtechniq P1, I dont tape at all as it is impossible to burn the edge at 600 rpm
    it does at 600 rpm what all other products can only do at 1200 to 1500 rpm and in about 20 seconds

Post Thanks / Like
    I started buying "Sherwin-Williams Painter`s Tape". It is exactly half the price of the 3M product and does the same thing.....Excellent quality and comes off with no residue.

It is cream color, not blue or green.

If you use a lot of tape, it`s well worth buying.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill, great suggestion. Last time I was in Lowes I was surprised by the retail price of the 3M tape. WAY too overpriced plus I have a SW store nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Thanks Bill, great suggestion. Last time I was in Lowes I was surprised by the retail price of the 3M tape. WAY too overpriced plus I have a SW store nearby.
    Yeah, I decided a while back I wasn`t going to pay $8 for a roll of tape.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Puckman... I might add that I get a contractor`s discount at SW, but the SW Painter`s Tape at regular price is still about 40% cheaper than 3M. I`m just not willing to pay 40-50% more because the tape is BLUE.
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips so far...

But some "masking" pics would be even nicer!

Would like to see your techinques - like how you mask a hood or trunk area, different types of triim - and how much of the paint do you cover that doesnt get polished - or do you go back over those areas by hand?
    Dave - confirmed egotist

Auto Detailing - Cuz you want to be noticed!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to an automotive paint supply store, they have 1/4" painters tape and down to 1/8" plastic painters tape. We used it to start the line in really close places, and then tape on the top of it, avoiding the leading edge with paper and tape from a masking tape and paper machine.
    The current 3m painters tape is green in the 1/4" size, and blue plastic in the 1/8" size today.
    I like to use the 1/4" tape to cover pinstripes, if I am going to be using a strong cutting compound, and yes any tape will leave a clean line around the rest of the work when pulled off. You just have to finish the polishing, etc., with the tape off, so that the material now gets on the pin stripes, etc., and it is all even.
    You will find that this 1/4" tape is easilly pulled into any kind of curve, etc., and that is how we used to make painted pinstripes back in the day before they started using stick-on pinstripes..
    And waaaay before this small tape, there were guys like Von Dutch that hand painted pinstripes, etc.,using a little camel hair sword brush in different sizes.
    We used to use similar sword brushes to touch up painted finishes, long before they came along with pens, markers, all that other stuff that people use today..

End of history lesson, class dismissed !! Go play outside ! No hitting, punching, tripping, hair pulling, or breaking wind !!

DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    And waaaay before this small tape, there were guys like Von Dutch that hand painted pinstripes, etc.,using a little camel hair sword brush in different sizes.
    End of history lesson, class dismissed !! Go play outside ! No hitting, punching, tripping, hair pulling, or breaking wind !!

DanF
    LOL! Yes, those guys were called "Pinstripers"... if you ever go to really big car shows, you`ll still see those guys with vendor booths set up for the street-rodders!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Thread Information