Post Thanks / Like

orange power pad break-in

How have u guys found the best way to prime-break in the orang power pads? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know about "break-in"... I just start using them and they work!!!

As far as priming.... I usually place several pea-sized dots of polish/compound around the pad evenly spaced. Then I give it a spray of water. Finally I use my fingers and rub the compound into the pad in a circular motion, until it appears to be soaking into the foam.

When I start polishing, I start with a slower speed and work my way up to the higher speeds...

These pictures are for the flat pads, but I use the same methodology for all pads...

Compound:

Primed:

Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I go with what Bill say`s, I used a fine mist of M34 and a little extra of the product I`m using when I first start out with a new pad.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

TOGWT
    Priming / Seasoning Pads
    Don?t use a quick detailer or a pad conditioner as they are usually formulated with silicones, oils, waxes, polymers, gloss enhancers, or even water, which will negatively impact the polishing process. Spread the polish / compound over the pad evenly and ensure it is absorbed into the foam, then spread that polish onto the pad by hand until it becomes 80% saturated.

To apply to the paint surface; lightly raise the back of the machine so you are working with the top 1/3 of the pad. After polishing for a minute or two the pad will become more evenly saturated with product and actually become softer from heat build-up (seasoned). At this point, you can safely transition from a tilted up to a flat polishing position. Every time you put a fresh pad on your machine (and this should be done often) you should prime and then season it for a minute or two before "flat" polishing.

Once the pad has been seasoned (pad should be 80% saturated with product being used to compound / polish) you can reduce the amount of polish / compound applied to the pad for subsequent passes; dependent upon what you`re trying to accomplish. If you use too much polish or compound the oils will cause the surface to become over lubricated, which will negatively impact the abrasive abilities

An extract from one of a series of in-depth detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2008, all rights reserved

Post Thanks / Like
    Per CMA`s very informative web site:

Pad Priming: The new micro non-diminishing abrasives from Meguiar`s require that the pores of the pad are evenly primed with product for fastest cutting and highest gloss. It is recommended to "prime" a fresh, dry pad one of three ways:

The Kevin Brown Method (KBM): Apply a liberal amount of polish on the surface of the pad and massage the product into the pores with your fingers until the surface is covered in a fine film of polish. Remove excess polish from the pad, so that it feels slightly damp, by lightly pressing a cotton terry or microfiber cloth against the pad while it spins.

Meguiar`s M34: Meguiar`s recommends misting the dry pad with M34 Final Inspection, then drawing two lines of product, in an X fashion, across the diameter of the pad. M34 will help the polish spread across the pad during the initial polishing application.

Hybrid: ProperAutoCare.com recommends using a hybrid pad priming system to save on material costs and increase ease of use. Mist the dry pad with M34 Final Inspection then draw an X across the pad. Quickly massage the polishing with your fingers into the pad and cover as much surface as possible.

Regardless of the priming method you choose, once the pad has been primed, apply a small amount of polish to the pad between sections. Three ?dime sized? amounts, applied to the outer 1/3 of the pad are sufficient.

Polish one small section at a time, two feet by two feet, per application. Start by placing the pad on the paint and spreading the polish out, then turn the polisher on. Using firm pressure and overlapping left to right, right to left strokes cover the area to be polished

Thread Information