Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
    If I wanted to buy clay bars only from a local store...what brand and what store can I find them?
    It seems like they are always sold as a kit....and I don`t need the mf towels or lubricant that comes with it.
    thanks for the help.
    Locally, I`ve only seen them in a kit with a MF and Clay Lube. (That`s called marketing.)

If you want only the clay, you`ll have to shop online. (In my experience.)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like

That suck$...sometimes we don`t need more of towels or lubricant.

I have plenty of that already....so instead of spending $15-17 for the kit..I would rather spend let`s say $4-8 for 1-2 bars of clay.
    I would rather not order those items on line...well at least not for just for a few clay bars...plus you gotta to pay shipping...I am not a pro so I don`t go through them that often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonyn View Post
    I have plenty of that already....so instead of spending $15-17 for the kit..I would rather spend let`s say $4-8 for 1-2 bars of clay.
    I would rather not order those items on line...well at least not for just for a few clay bars...plus you gotta to pay shipping...I am not a pro so I don`t
    go through them that often.
    Well, I guess they`ve got ya. You either pay for products you don`t need or you pay for shipping.

It`s kind of like buying a car part. A lot of times you can`t just buy that one small part, you have to buy the "Assembly"!!! ut:
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but,
    I only polish my own vehicles (true amateur), and "discovered" clay via PAC`s great website a few years ago. The sandwich bag test converted the skeptic in me :w00t:. The clay makes the polish pop for lack of a better term - gives it a smoother surface to work from. I have used Black Fire lube with clay magic with good results. But again have not had much experience mixing and matching clay with various lubes.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    In regards to my specific car 03 Cobra I do not clay bar it, but just start off with polish.
    I only do this because it`s never really parked outside and never driven in snow/rain.

Would anyone else recommend I start off with a clay bar on the Cobra?

In regards to my 00 Lincoln LS I would definitely start off with a clay bar because it`s parked outside and been driven through Chicago winters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by svtcobra View Post
    In regards to my specific car 03 Cobra I do not clay bar it, but just start off with polish.
    I only do this because it`s never really parked outside and never driven in snow/rain.

Would anyone else recommend I start off with a clay bar on the Cobra?

In regards to my 00 Lincoln LS I would definitely start off with a clay bar because it`s parked outside and been driven through Chicago winters.
    The best way to tell if claying would be benefical is to wash the car normally then feel the paint with your hand. If you can feel little bumps or grit and the paint isn`t perfectly smooth then its ready for clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, question here. i have washed my car and dried it, and ran my bare fingers across the paint and it was smooth as glass. Then, I tried the bag test and it was totally different. The surface of my car was not smooth with the bag test. I didnt feel any "snags" so to speak, but the surface felt bumpy.

Now, are the bumps im feeling CAUSED by the bag, or is the bag allowing me to feel something that you cant feel with your bare hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sd37 View Post
    ok, question here. i have washed my car and dried it, and ran my bare fingers across the paint and it was smooth as glass. Then, I tried the bag test and it was totally different. The surface of my car was not smooth with the bag test. I didnt feel any "snags" so to speak, but the surface felt bumpy.

Now, are the bumps im feeling CAUSED by the bag, or is the bag allowing me to feel something that you cant feel with your bare hand?
    The plastic bag MAGINFIES the contaminants. You are exactly right... it allows you to feel the bumps you can`t feel with your bare hand. Time to clay.:wink:

This is a picture of the claybar I used last week on a perfectly smooth and clean white car. This picture was taken right after I washed and dried the car.

Bill Luster

Think about it.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always say when in doubt always clay......
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    i recently 5-stepped (clay,intensive polish,final polish II, finishing glaze, FMJ) my wifes sequoia ltd and it was in BAD shape. not like the worst pics from here but bad enough(pics coming). i couldnt imagine not doing the clay. having said that, i plan on putting another couple coats of FMJ on it in a few weeks.

knowing that, what would you experts recommend on doing before i put more FMJ on it? obviously a wash/dry, but after that, which step? claying then wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goathead View Post
    i recently 5-stepped (clay,intensive polish,final polish II, finishing glaze, FMJ) my wifes sequoia ltd and it was in BAD shape. not like the worst pics from here but bad enough(pics coming). i couldnt imagine not doing the clay. having said that, i plan on putting another couple coats of FMJ on it in a few weeks.

knowing that, what would you experts recommend on doing before i put more FMJ on it? obviously a wash/dry, but after that, which step? claying then wax?
    Claying will be counterproductive if you want to simply add another layer of wax... just wash it well, quick detail after/during drying, then apply the wax.
    Ivan Rajic
    LUSTR Auto Detail - Owner
    Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ivopivo View Post
    Claying will be counterproductive if you want to simply add another layer of wax... just wash it well, quick detail after/during drying, then apply the wax.
    True... because you`d be taking off all the wax by claying!
    Bill Luster

Think about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information