Post Thanks / Like

How do you use your Flex 3401?

I wanted to know from you guys that currently own the Flex 3401, do you do everything with it?(From Start to Finish) Like polish,LSP, Etc. I have seen lots of post with users of Flex resorting to the PC to apply LSP. Is that really necessary? I ask because I am still deciding on which machine I should keep. The PC or the Flex? Is there a reason for this? (Probably there is, I just don`t know. That`s why I`m here ) I am leaning toward keeping the Flex I just don`t understand why users of the Flex go back to the PC for LSP. Can`t the Flex do this just as good or better? From what I have heard and read on various forums the Flex can do everything the PC can do and then some. So what`s the deal?

Sorry for all the questions. I`m just a newb at all this.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! No one chimed in on this one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikela View Post
    I wanted to know from you guys that currently own the Flex 3401, do you do everything with it?(From Start to Finish) Like polish,LSP, Etc. I have seen lots of post with users of Flex resorting to the PC to apply LSP. Is that really necessary? I ask because I am still deciding on which machine I should keep. The PC or the Flex? Is there a reason for this? (Probably there is, I just don`t know. That`s why I`m here ) I am leaning toward keeping the Flex I just don`t understand why users of the Flex go back to the PC for LSP. Can`t the Flex do this just as good or better? From what I have heard and read on various forums the Flex can do everything the PC can do and then some. So what`s the deal?

Sorry for all the questions. I`m just a newb at all this.

Mike
    Okay Mike, you got me. I was about to go to bed, I have to teach a class 3 hours away all day tomorrow, but I don`t want to leave you hanging!!!!!

The main difference between the Porter Cable and the Flex3401VRG is that the pad on of the Flex is forced to rotate (it rotates 1 time for every 20 orbits) where as the Porter Cable isn`t. At low speeds (low orbits) I would, with little pressure (enough not to significantly slow the rotation of the pad on the free-wheeling Porter Cable) both machines will drive the pad across the paint in a fairly similar pattern. The main difference is that the Porter Cables motion will be slightly smoother and the Flex`s motion will be a little more jagged.

As far as applying a wax or sealant, and at speeds that should be used (2 on Flex/3 on PC) there will be no real difference in application. I tend to use what ever machine I last used. If I have been polishing with a rotary, I will usually grab the Flex because I am too lazy to put a backing plate on the PC, and the Flex already has one

If you are going to keep one machine, I would recommend keeping the Flex because it does offer increased potential over the Porter Cable. Let me know if that helps at all, if not I will give a more indepth answer upon my return tomorrow night. Now I need to get some sleep!

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd for polishes like M105 / M205, how does the Flex do it faster than a DA like G110 or original UDM? For me, M105 does its work in 3 to 4 passes and M205 is done is 5 to 6 passes (more or less how Mike demo`ed it at Detail Fest) with my UDM 1.0.

The Flex is on my list to get but just seems like M105/M205 really improved the DA correction capability.
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom for your input. I really do appreciate it. You did answer my question and have added confidence in my choice of going with the Flex. Thank you once again.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Does the Flex have a smaller backing plate now ?

Last time I checked it only had the 5" backing plate, so you are limited to that size unless they or someone released a smaller backing plate for it.

The PC 7424 can use the 5 and also a is it 4" or 3.5" backing plates, so in places where you dont want to get close to things that are fragile, etc., the PC with the smaller backing plate and pad is perfect. I have both and keep the PC set up with the smaller backing plate and the Flex with the larger one.
    Changing backing plates on the PC is like less than a minute, so that is not a challenge either.

Also, as has been said, the action of the Flex is less smooth in your hands than the PC which is really smooth and easy to control in any position, in my experience.

I started out with the PC and had used rotary buffers years past, but prefer the PC and the Flex now. Anytime you can minimize the number of times you have to do anything over in detailing, you are saving time and money..
    Good luck with your decision making.

DanF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike go to paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html and select Flex vs Porter Cable there you will see how to use the flex 3401 machine. While your there feel free to watch any of the other videos to see other products at work by a professional.

Thread Information