Post Thanks / Like

Flex vs circular

New to the forum, but have been "lurking" for a bit reading some other posts on this subject so I do understand the basics of the 2 options.

Basically I`m looking for opinions on my particular situation. I have a mobile detailing business. ( 5 years in business ) I have been using the PC up til now because It`s pretty much a wax/polish type detail on the exterior. I don`t get very much call for "fixing" paint defects. Occasionally I get a guy who took his black pickup into the mountains to hunt and has light scratches in it. Or maybe a shopping cart scuff on a door panel. These are tough jobs w/ the pc but I do get decent results. I was considering upgrading to make these type jobs easier. I know the circulars are the best for these things but have a learning curve. I don`t really have the luxury of learning on customer vehicles and don`t want to cut through paint on edges etc. while I am learning. So my question:

For the occasional paint defects I encounter is the Flex enough of an upgrade (and still keeps me safe) or do I get the circular and try to get some practice on my own stuff, then hope I don`t mess up on a customer vehicle?

Thanks for your opinions

Post Thanks / Like
    I get excellent results with my Flex. I just change pad and compounds for more correction. If I cant get it out or at least hide it with those then I cant fix them. I dont think it is worth the risk of mistakes to go Circular. I say that but I am looking into going that route to try and save time, but I will practice before I put it on a customers paint.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard rockymountaindetail, for the best and fastest correction it will be using the rotary. The Flex is a good machine but it has it limits too (Backing Plates). As for the learning curve you might pick up a hood, door or trunk lid from a body shop or a junk yard and do some homework on it. That is something you need to think about and go with your own gut feeling on which machine to get. If you need anything just call me at PAC 1-800-628-7596............Angelo
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the type of work you do I think you will be more then fine with the Flex. The Flex is significantly more powerful the the PC and very close to rotary, but the chances of getting holograms are far less. Also you can do a better `one step` polish with a Flex in my experience.

`One Step` polishes on a rotary generaly require a very fine pad and very fine polish to avoid instillling holograms. This finishing combination is going to have a very limited cut. By switching the motion of the machine from a direct rotation to orbital motion most of the action that creates visible holograms is removed. This allows for a more aggressive combination to be used (while the gloss may not be as high) with out instilling holograms.

If you use a moderate cutting pad and Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound you should be able to effectively remove a large majority of the paint defects you encounter, but going this aggressive will require a second step!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the advice. I`m still weighing the choice. can someone tell me the difference between the Flex Rotary and the Flex Circular machines? I thought rotary and circular were the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you`re talking about the same machine. The Flex rotary/circular is the same machine as the Dewalt and Makita rotaries. Maybe you`re talking about the difference between the Flex rotary and the Flex Dual Action polisher?

Post Thanks / Like
    as listed on the PAC site:

Flex LK603VVB Circular Polisher & Flex L3403VRG Rotary Polisher

The only difference I can see is the 3403 is smaller and lighter, but they called one rotary and 1 circular. I assumed they were the same but wanted to be sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymountaindetail View Post
    as listed on the PAC site:

Flex LK603VVB Circular Polisher & Flex L3403VRG Rotary Polisher

The only difference I can see is the 3403 is smaller and lighter, but they called one rotary and 1 circular. I assumed they were the same but wanted to be sure
    Thank you for poing out the different text. One of my on going projects is to clean up indescrpencies such as this that occur. CMA has been around a long time, and many different people have had a hand in typing the different articles, so it is a matter of getting everything squared away.

Being a professional detailer, I have never called a rotary polisher a circular polisher, so one I am changing the text from circular to rotary. They are the same. Rotary polishers are also called (depending on who you ask) circular, variable speed, or high speed polishers.

Flex does make a normal size rotary (the LK603) and a smaller sized unit (3403).

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your right, one is small and lighter too. But both the machines don`t come with a backing plate, so remember to order one if you do get one of them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom mazda5 View Post
    Your right, one is small and lighter too. But both the machines don`t come with a backing plate, so remember to order one if you do get one of them.
    Rocky,For pointing on the difference I will thrown in a blacking plate! PM me before you order

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, when I make the final decision, I will do that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Flex does make a normal size rotary (the LK603) and a smaller sized unit (3403).

If these are the 2 that flexs makes then can you tell me about the FLEX XC3401VRGI`m in the process of starting a detailing business and was looking around for a good polisher. Porter cable was popping up everywhere and then I started hearing and reading about FLEX...nothing but rave reviews. So i am waiting on mine, I bought one and it will be delivered on the 12th. I bought the FLEX XC3401VRG. how is this one and what are the differences between the 2 mentioned above?

Thread Information