Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Best pads (5") for The Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher-

First, is this considered a SHORT or LONG throw polisher?

Second, without breaking the bank, what are some good pads that can be cleaned and used over again?

I need help ASAP as winter is fast approaching and I need to polish tomorrow.

I also need to fix some paint transfer on a friends bumper, so any advice on the pads for that, I would appreciate it...

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best pads (5") for The Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher-

Lake Country SDO.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes bassett72 liked this post
    Thanks bassett72 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say try the Lake Country SDO CCS. I really like the CCS tech. personally.

I have the regular orange SDO too and i really like that pad also.

Its a short throw.
    Likes bassett72 liked this post
    Thanks bassett72 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post
    I also need to fix some paint transfer on a friends bumper, so any advice on the pads for that, I would appreciate it...

Thanks...
    I usually try Clay first. IF that doesn`t work, I`d try a nonabrasive or minimally abrasive Paint Cleaner. IOW, I`d try to avoid taking off anything except the transfer. And I`d probably try to do it by hand instead of with the polisher as it`d be easier to control what`s going on.

Quote Originally Posted by noorth
    ...I really like the CCS tech. personally.
    Are those the ones with the dimples? IF so, I myself utterly despise those, threw `em away! NO, no, I"m not slamming noorth for his preferences, not a bit. Just pointing out how opinions/preferences can differ greatly, so much so that often there`s no right/wrong answer.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I usually try Clay first. IF that doesn`t work, I`d try a nonabrasive or minimally abrasive Paint Cleaner. IOW, I`d try to avoid taking off anything except the transfer. And I`d probably try to do it by hand instead of with the polisher as it`d be easier to control what`s going on.

Are those the ones with the dimples? IF so, I myself utterly despise those, threw `em away! NO, no, I"m not slamming noorth for his preferences, not a bit. Just pointing out how opinions/preferences can differ greatly, so much so that often there`s no right/wrong answer.
    Yep the ones with the dimples - but the SDO CCS is a newer style pad from LC - probably similar to the original CCS`s pads. A lot of this stuff comes down to user experience for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 5.5 inch Hydro-Tech Cyan and Tangerine.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using Lake Country CCS pads with mine.

Post Thanks / Like

bassett72: (A typical Captain Obvious question: What is the story behind this login name?!)
    Late to this discussion, BUT what specific manufacturer and type/their brand name/part number for an abrasive compound and/or polish are planning to use to remove this paint transfer?? Like Accumulator suggested, it is best to start with the LEAST abrasive/aggressive method FIRST, so a polish may the best starting point for you.
    Without knowing or seeing how much "paint transfer" is there on what you are trying to remove, it is difficult assess what exactly to start with, BUT I might be inclined to start with a scratch remover abrasive first if it is a "slight" paint transfer.
    If it involves removing what looks like deeper scratches along with the transferred paint, then a polish may be a better choice. Just a suggestion.....

Like noorth said the Porter-Cable 7424XP Dual-Action Polisher (PCXP-DA as its acronym is used on this forum), is considered a SHORT THROW polisher due to its 8mm throw. Not to confuse or hi-jack the direction of this thread, but have you considered replacing/supplanting your PCXP-DA with some other buffer/polishing machine and what your choice or which way you are leaning toward for that tool? Just curious, because that seems to be a major topic of discussion in this thread for many Autopians who are contemplating that purchase.

As a rule, long throws are considered 12mm or more on an orbital polisher; 15mm and 21mm throws being the most common and short throws are 10mm or less, with 8mm throw being the most common.
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m going to suggest that for any real correction with a PC, you should try Griots microfiber fast finishing pads. They cut but leave a nice surface and aren`t too aggressive. I think they are 6 inch but I`d give them a try.

Thread Information