Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

So I’ve used panel wipes in the past. Eraser simply cause I like the smell of it. I guess it works but I noticed it can also be used as a glass cleaner.

now I’ve always cleaned my eye glasses, iPhones, iPad with plain old drug store alcohol. Easy peasy, cheap yet not sleazy. It’s worked fantastic for as long,as I’ve used it.

so I figure I’d try eraser on all my stuff. While it did eventually get things clean it was extremely time consuming and required way more effort.

this got me thinking have we been duped into buying this stuff? We’re told alcohol is bad, and should be left in the medicine cabinet.

The obvious critique to my non scientific anecdotal observation is that glass is different than clearcoat. Or is it? To me clean is clean, and removing oils and whatnot it’s all the same.

I learned the eye glass trick from my optometrist who also sells the fancy sprays and wipes. You can literally see that alcohol works right before your eyes.

anyways, just some random thoughts and observations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

It`s a good question and observation. It appears most panel wipes do contain alcohol, but also mild solvents that help breakdown the polishing oils. I have read that an IPA only solution just moves the oils around where as a good panel prep helps break them down and remove them.

I`ve used Gyeon Prep and Optimum Paint Prep and I think both are excellent but Optimum is my favorite. A bit cheaper and works extremely well on glass and interiors.

Gyeon will always usually win the prettiest bottle contest though With Gyeon you`re also paying for aesthetic qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

And my observation was that the alcohol removed the “smudge” from my glass, while eraser moved it around, and eventually removed it.
    not sure what difference glass and clearcoat makes. And we’re it not for car pros own suggestion that it works as a good glass cleaner I’d have never tried it.

it just got me thinking and so I tried it out. Kind of makes me think alcohol is the better choice and way cheaper too.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought all those panel wipes were mostly IPA, anyway. I think Eraser and the Optimum also have some surfactants in them. I usually just use straight IPA.

nan_wpg, you have no fear that straight IPA is going to damage the anti-glare, light-responsive etc. coatings on your eyeglasses?

Post Thanks / Like

Well,the person who sold me the glasses told me about the ipa. So I trust them. Of course you could argue they want me to use ipa so that I damage my glasses and need new ones, but I can also argue that manufacturers of panel wipes have a vested interest in telling me that I’ll damage my glasses.

Again, I’m just a dude that noticed something. That’s all.

and I honestly can’t see a 10 second spritze of alcohol wrecking anything. Been using alcohol for a long long time.

and if the panel wipes contain alcohol then won’t they damage too? The other additives help to dissolve oils, etc. they don’t counter the supposed damaging (supposed?) effects of alcohol?

Post Thanks / Like

And further thought: if eraser was more effort than ipa than how much polish oils, etc am I leaving on the car? Again: not sure if glass and clearcoat are different? In other words eraser “can” be used as a glass cleaner but it’s more effective at removing polish oil from clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I think most all panel preps contain some % and some specific type of alcohol (there are many). The manufacturers claim, well some of them do, ..that there are also mild solvents in them.

I enjoy using Gyeon Prep but part of it is the smell and cool looking bottle LOL. Gyeon knows what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

They all supposedly know what they are doing but are they doing what they say they are supposed to do?

im thinking maybe compare other wipes on glass to see. Maybe all panel wipes are “ so so “ on glass but awesome on clear coat? ( the intended,use)

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding of panel wipes is that they have some extra sauce in them to act as a lubricant so you`re less likely to be instilling marring into your freshly perfected panel.

I also thought that an over concentrated use of IPA can cause a negative reaction with the clear; my search game is poor otherwise I`d dig up exactly what I`m trying to remember. Something along the lines of causing the clear to soften, swell, or contract or something.
    It`s one of those things where since I`m strictly hobbyist I`m not doing panel wipes often enough where I`d be trying to save a bunch of money by mixing my own - thus doing the research for it to be at the front of my brain.

Like Setec - I`d be leery of straight IPA on my glasses for their coating`s sake, but I tend to play it conservative not wanting to have to buy them again...

Post Thanks / Like

I get new glasses every 2 years through my insurance. But I have older pairs at the cottage/in the garage that are decades old. No harm no foul on the coatings. (Are there even coatings on the glasses that I paid for? Lol conspiracy)

just though I appreciated the guy telling me “don’t waste your money on the fancy cleaners” just use ipa.

‘’now clear coat swelling, etc that may be a valid arguement.

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite--Mike Phillips was always a big opponent of using straight IPA, that it damages the paint. I always use straight IPA when I`m cleaning spots for touchup paint, if any situation is going to damage the paint, it`s that, when you`ve got a spot down to the metal, and you`re wetting the e-coat, the primer, the color, and the clear...and I`ve never had an issue.

nan_wpg, I was just going where Oneheadlite was, that glasses are so expensive, I`m super paranoid about damaging them. Poorboy Steve used to tout using Spray n` Wipe on them, I`ve never tried that. Back in the early days of the anti-glare coating, it was very difficult to keep from getting a film on them, because they were "sticky". I found that a hand soap for contact lens wearers was able to clean them without leaving residue, so that`s what I still use, a water wash with that.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Actually the instructions for all chip repair says to use ipa wipe down.

I always had issues when cleaning glasses with dedicated eye glass cleaners. And again I’ve never had an issue using ipa. And I can safely say some of my eye glasses are older than some of you in these,forums, lol.

and that’s not a brag. Being old ain’t so great some,days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    and that’s not a brag. Being old ain’t so great some,days.
    Um...all days. But don`t tell Accumulator!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    ...Eraser simply cause I like the smell of it. I guess it works but I noticed it can also be used as a glass cleaner.
    You just gave me an excuse to try this.

Love good smelling products, and I hate cleaning glass. Maybe this is the answer?

Post Thanks / Like

Sometime I’m left with such a mess after polishing and compounding I wash with dawn instead and then use Megs glass cleaner as a quick prep spray to dry the car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information