Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

Quote Originally Posted by nan_wpg View Post
    They all supposedly know what they are doing but are they doing what they say they are supposed to do?

im thinking maybe compare other wipes on glass to see. Maybe all panel wipes are “ so so “ on glass but awesome on clear coat? ( the intended,use)
    Optimum Paint Prep is great on glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    My understanding of panel wipes is that they have some extra sauce in them to act as a lubricant so you`re less likely to be instilling marring into your freshly perfected panel.

I also thought that an over concentrated use of IPA can cause a negative reaction with the clear; ... of causing the clear to soften, swell, or contract or something.
    Yeah, that`s what I understood. Some panel wipes, Eraser being one, have added lubrication for that reason. Some paints are way too sensitive

Also, that`s what I remember reading: can soften and/or swell the paint (if the alcohol content was too strong, and left on the panel for too long, something like that)

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Oneheadlite--Mike Phillips was always a big opponent of using straight IPA, that it damages the paint.
    I want to say Mike P shared an article (maybe no pics?) in which he described having an experience using some sort of IPA wipe and that the paint did swell on him.

I used to do my own IPA mix with DI water and 70% alcohol. A low ratio of less than 1:1 alcohol to play it safe. Once I started using dedicated panel wipes, i stopped using my own mix. It then became a case of buying a well priced, yet effective, panel wipe. After trying a few, I`ve kept Eraser on hand always. There were times where other wipes didn`t quite get it done, and Eraser came in and took care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to try the Optimum Panel Prep ( have, but I bought it for two reasons:
    1) the lubricants in it to prevent micro-narring over using 91% Iso-propyl Alcohol
    2) it was developed by the same chemist who formulated/developed body shop-standard DuPont Prep-Sol (Dr. David Ghodoussi)

WHY some detailer would think panel wipes are over-hyped may be naive about what a good panel wipe does do (clean off oils from polishing or old sealants/LSPs) AND what it does not do (micro-mar, even with good microfibers). OR maybe they`ve NEVER had a bad LSP application experience attributed to a bad chemical-interaction between a LSP and compound or polish oils/colloidal suspension chemicals,
    Maybe like the Indy 500 racing adage: "There are only two kinds of Indy 500 drivers: Those that have hit the wall and those that will hit the wall.`
    Without using a panel wipe, some detailer WILL experience a bad LSP-Polish Oils interaction sooner or later.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

No comparison at all between IPA and my old PrepWash stuff from TOL, but then IPA has never been a great solvent for me anyhow. Sure doesn`t clean glass worth a [darn] for me compared to glass/lens cleaners. But hey, that`s just me and YMMV/etc.

Setec Astronomy- Heh heh, shades of Barry Theal`s comments! I must be turning into the Old Man of Autopia even though plenty here are older than Yours Truly! But seriously, yeah, you`re right. it`s still just a number to me..as the song goes "..you never slow down, you never grow old" or, as a nonagenarian pal recently said as we dumped our recyclables. "[screw] that aging [crap]!" 93YO and he`s still feisty as ever, wouldn`t let me help him with his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    No comparison at all between IPA and my old PrepWash stuff from TOL, but then IPA has never been a great solvent for me anyhow. Sure doesn`t clean glass worth a [darn] for me compared to glass/lens cleaners. But hey, that`s just me and YMMV/etc.
    Now that I think of it, Mike Phillips used to talk about how Dr. G "invented" (I guess I should say formulated) a paint prep/panel wipe I think between PPG and when he started OPT--I`m drawing a blank on the name of it. So he ought to know a thing or two about that (not that it`s complicated, I don`t think, for a chemist). But I agree that alcohols are not great solvents for a lot of oils, but of course it`s complicated, the good solvents are gone now due to ozone depletion, global warming potential (ODP and GWP), and the replacements are too expensive/volatile for this. Or they are carcinogenic. Then other ones are too flammable, and you`re left with heavy solvents with low volatility that are probably problematic in this application because they don`t flash off fast enough and wind up leaving their own residue for a time--which is probably why these coating-prep products are mostly IPA.

Coincidentally the stuff I mentioned above is why you can`t get good brake cleaner anymore. I think the last stuff I got was perchlor, and I had a devil of a time getting it.

Post Thanks / Like

.. the good solvents are gone now due to ozone depletion, global warming potential (ODP and GWP), and the replacements are...or..etc..
    Glad I, uhm..accumulated...plenty of the nasty-but-effective stuff

But as for Panel Wipes, I see Griot`s has a new one now (in addition to their old Paint Prep).

Post Thanks / Like

Um...all days. But don`t tell Accumulator!
    eraser is expensive. But smells nice. But I can also say the same about megs glass cleaner. I’m gonna try it on my glasses. I hate cleaning glass too. Interiors actually lol. I like washing and polishing paint m

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Sometime I’m left with such a mess after polishing and compounding I wash with dawn instead and then use Megs glass cleaner as a quick prep spray to dry the car.
    I use a,damp ONR microfiber to remove polish before I spray it,with so,e type of panel prep.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers CMX has a panel prep product that isn`t too expensive. It was easy to work with. I have a can of Rustoleum wax and grease remover that I found left a greasy mess when I used it.

I suspect companies such as BASF and PPG license some of their products for use by other companies.

Post Thanks / Like

Kleen-Strip Prep All was the most enjoyable panel wipe I’ve ever used…stuff was so smooth during use that I usually ended up using Eraser or Prep after it because something that glided so nicely across the surface just had to leave something behind Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

Never ran into any issues coating after using it alone though so…:shrug:

Worst was Gtechniq PW…that stuff was stroooong, likely very high in alcohol content Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea kleen stripe Was good it was also slicker that expected only part that stinks is it’s in a metal can and is pia to get on. I splashed it onto towels and was impressed it like an actual paint prep You can put in sprayer but I don’t think u can let it sit in might eat plastic or do something.

does any one else wash after. I find it cleans better I use a dish soap figuring yea the grease cutting but also residue free because food safety. And I dry with Megs glass cleaner this ends up being faster for me.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The guy from Perl nano convinced me to switch from panel preps to that method

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Kleen-Strip Prep All was the most enjoyable panel wipe I’ve ever used…stuff was so smooth during use that I usually ended up using Eraser or Prep after it because something that glided so nicely across the surface just had to leave something behind Panel wipes over hyped? My observation (likely incorrect)

Never ran into any issues coating after using it alone though so…:shrug:
    I think that was the one that Dr. G formulated. I think Mike Phillips mentioned it once a long time ago on AGO.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think that was the one that Dr. G formulated. I think Mike Phillips mentioned it once a long time ago on AGO.
    wow did not know that.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also think fenylab would maybe have a knock your socks of prep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information