Post Thanks / Like

Short Throw vs Long Throw

I`ve been seeing lots of conversations re long throw polishers vs short throw and I`m confused as to the differences and/or advantages of one versus the other.
    Can someone please offer a brief synopsis on short vs long. I`m still using my old, trustworthy PC 7424 and it appears to be adequate for my needs; but I`m curious to know if there would be anything to be gained by switching to a different (better?) ROB.
    Thanks for you thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Short Throw vs Long Throw

Your PC7424 has 8mm of throw, which mens if you held the polisher in place, the polishing pad would cover an additional 8mm outside of the confines of the polishing head. 15mm or 21mm long-throw polishers would cover 15mm or 21mm of additional area outside the confines of the polishing head when held stationary. The idea is that the machine is moving further with every rotation and is covering more area and polishing more due to the extra coverage and orbit area. Plus the machines are usually more powerful to handle that additional orbit rotation so the machines get more work done due to power as well. Plus they usually won’t stall as readily on curves as a smaller rotation polisher.

But if you really want more power and to get done faster, you could also consider a forced rotation polisher like the Flex Supa Beast or a rotary though a rotary usually requires more skill to operate effectively but it wouldn’t be hard to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-IMO, if you`re doing OK with what you have, then there`s no need to upgrade it.
    -OTOH, I myself could *NEVER* get anything done in a timely manner via PC and IMO life`s too short to spend unnecessary time polishing paint.
    -Some people have reported that long-throw polishers don`t give them the same final finish as a shorter-throw one would.
    -There are some situations where a (very) long-throw will cause the pad/etc. to bump into things and/or give uneven treatment to some areas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you dgage and Accumulator for your responses which perfectly answered my question.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think longer speed machines are more effective in a shorter time period. They can be slightly more difficult to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

That old PC can certainly get the job done. I really like using a short throw polisher (Rupes Duetto) for finishing and/or super soft paint to avoid DA marks. My all time favorite polisher to reach for is the Rupes LTA125 which claims to be a 12mm Triple Action movement.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    ... Plus they usually won’t stall as readily on curves as a smaller rotation polisher....
    I thought it was the opposite? Longer throw machines "tend" to stall easier than short throw. At any rate, get to know the machine, and whatever throw it is, you can make it dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    That old PC can certainly get the job done.
    Absolutely!!! I`ve done some fairly remarkable work with one (If I do say so myself...and the owners!)
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a 8mm over my 15mm when polishing next to trim, mirrors etc. The long throw tends to hit where you can take the “8” up next to an obstruction.

Thread Information