Post Thanks / Like

Finally emailed about my hot G9

Put off emailing about how hot my Griots G9 gets because it was suggested maybes I was holding it in such a way to block the vents. After making sure to try different ways, finally emailed about it. Got an answer really quick — “​You should not be using it to the extent of being untouchably hot”. Of course, it happens after one or at most two section passes (2x2 up the across).

Well, y’all were right, it’s my fault for using their tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally emailed about my hot G9

All mine get hot sometimes I air cool them with this little guy. Seriously I use this. I have a couple different polishers and types the hottest on I have is knockoff flex 3401 thing get dangerously hot ryobi comes in saves the day or it would probably been broken by now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Put off emailing about how hot my Griots G9 gets because it was suggested maybes I was holding it in such a way to block the vents. After making sure to try different ways, finally emailed about it. Got an answer really quick — “​You should not be using it to the extent of being untouchably hot”. Of course, it happens after one or at most two section passes (2x2 up the across).

Well, y’all were right, it’s my fault for using their tool.
    Did you explain this to them that it gets this hot.... that fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Did you explain this to them that it gets this hot.... that fast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did my best to explain that and that it did it even when there was no extension cord involved. I guess I’ll have to call. I wish I had an IR thermometer so I could quantify how hot it really gets how soon.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

From their response it doesnt look like they understood AT ALL what you told us. Im wondering your EXACT wording in the email cause their customer service has ALWAYS been freaking incredible to me. Ive called them at least 3 times over the years and never left me even feeling at all like they didnt care!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    From their response it doesnt look like they understood AT ALL what you told us. Im wondering your EXACT wording in the email cause their customer service has ALWAYS been freaking incredible to me. Ive called them at least 3 times over the years and never left me even feeling at all like they didnt care!
    Here is what I emailed. If I could have explained it better, I’m open. My ability to express myself isn’t nearly as good since my TBI.
    Hope you are doing well. How warm should my new G9 being getting in use? It gets really warm, especially at the brushes. This happens even when plugged directly in the wall. I’ve been trying different grips in case I was blocking a vent but it still gets very warm.
    Here is the second email I sent this morning that I haven’t received a reply to.
    I don’t have an IR thermometer to quantify but it becomes very hot, very quickly. By quickly I mean during the second section 2x2 pass, ie well within 5 minutes operation time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I emailed. If I could have explained it better, I’m open. My ability to express myself isn’t nearly as good since my TBI.
    Hope you are doing well. How warm should my new G9 being getting in use? It gets really warm, especially at the brushes. This happens even when plugged directly in the wall. I’ve been trying different grips in case I was blocking a vent but it still gets very warm.
    Here is the second email I sent this morning that I haven’t received a reply to.
    I don’t have an IR thermometer to quantify but it becomes very hot, very quickly. By quickly I mean during the second section 2x2 pass, ie well within 5 minutes operation time.
    Yeah from the first email they would have no clue that it heats up "fast". The second one should help you out (HOPEFULLY)
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

They emailed this morning and asked if I had changed the brushes. I answered that I had not. I will see if they offer to send me some. Is that reasonable to expect on a new machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn`t sure if I should reply here or on the sister site, here looks like the place.

In your shoes, I`d have gone the old fashioned route and just called them. There are so many little details that could be covered more easily in a phone call than emailing back and forth. Like Don above, I`ve had fantastic luck speaking with them any time I`ve had a question or warranty concern.

If I`ve got a tool that`s not performing as I expect where it may be a warranty concern, I`d much rather discuss it in person. Especially in your situation where it seemed like you were on the fence of even just using their 180 day satisfaction guarantee and returning it (not sure if too much time has passed now?).

I`d forgotten about your TBI, so I understand where that could come into play for preferring to email.

As far as the brush situation, I`ve heard of people in the past with new polishers (not just Griot`s) where the brushes may not have been fully seated from the factory. Your G9 came with an extra set of brushes so you won`t need to wait for ones to show up in the mail. Also, you`re dealing with a high power brushed electric motor - the area around the brushes is naturally going to get warm. If you try your other set and don`t see a change, then I would contact them about sending your unit in to have them look at it. That will remove any question of "Is this normal or not".

Just to check - what backing plate and pads are you using? They talked a lot when the G9 was released about how the backing plate is a big part of cooling with the tool, so just wanted to make sure you`re using either their black vented 5" plate or the 6" plate that came on the machine along with a pad that has a hole in the center.

Sorry this has been a negative experience for you. I absolutely love my G9. Mine was from nearly right when they released them, so I did run into the glitchy power cord (the unit would just not work unless the cord was flexed just-so), but other than that it`s been a champ. It`s done multiple 2 stage jobs and I`ve not noticed any heat issues. But I`ve also not done much gripping around the brush area with all the other ways to hold the machine, as well as just being aware that`s where 1000 watts of electrical energy gets converted to kinetic energy.

EDIT - One other thing would be that I would call during their normal work day - While I think their support line is 24 hours a day, during the work day you`re more likely to get one of their seasoned on-site people. I think I`ve read where when people have called off hours it sounds like you get a different crew that may be more focused on being able to take orders and answer simple questions vs answer deep product questions. This is purely my speculation, as I mentioned above I`ve only called during the work day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Wasn`t sure if I should reply here or on the sister site, here looks like the place.

In your shoes, I`d have gone the old fashioned route and just called them. There are so many little details that could be covered more easily in a phone call than emailing back and forth. Like Don above, I`ve had fantastic luck speaking with them any time I`ve had a question or warranty concern.

If I`ve got a tool that`s not performing as I expect where it may be a warranty concern, I`d much rather discuss it in person. Especially in your situation where it seemed like you were on the fence of even just using their 180 day satisfaction guarantee and returning it (not sure if too much time has passed now?).

I`d forgotten about your TBI, so I understand where that could come into play for preferring to email.

As far as the brush situation, I`ve heard of people in the past with new polishers (not just Griot`s) where the brushes may not have been fully seated from the factory. Your G9 came with an extra set of brushes so you won`t need to wait for ones to show up in the mail. Also, you`re dealing with a high power brushed electric motor - the area around the brushes is naturally going to get warm. If you try your other set and don`t see a change, then I would contact them about sending your unit in to have them look at it. That will remove any question of "Is this normal or not".

Just to check - what backing plate and pads are you using? They talked a lot when the G9 was released about how the backing plate is a big part of cooling with the tool, so just wanted to make sure you`re using either their black vented 5" plate or the 6" plate that came on the machine along with a pad that has a hole in the center.

Sorry this has been a negative experience for you. I absolutely love my G9. Mine was from nearly right when they released them, so I did run into the glitchy power cord (the unit would just not work unless the cord was flexed just-so), but other than that it`s been a champ. It`s done multiple 2 stage jobs and I`ve not noticed any heat issues. But I`ve also not done much gripping around the brush area with all the other ways to hold the machine, as well as just being aware that`s where 1000 watts of electrical energy gets converted to kinetic energy.

EDIT - One other thing would be that I would call during their normal work day - While I think their support line is 24 hours a day, during the work day you`re more likely to get one of their seasoned on-site people. I think I`ve read where when people have called off hours it sounds like you get a different crew that may be more focused on being able to take orders and answer simple questions vs answer deep product questions. This is purely my speculation, as I mentioned above I`ve only called during the work day.
    I’m using their 5” vented backing plates. I’ve been using their pads and the Buff n Shine ones that Mike Phillips recommended on the other site. I had forgotten or hadn’t realized that there were extra brushes in the box. I’ll try them. Don’t have any cars left to polish so I’ll just run it I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t have any cars left to polish so I’ll just run it I reckon.
    With the digital speed controller and no load, I don`t think you`ll find much out just running it in the air. I guess worth trying. Maybe you can borrow the hood of your neighbor`s car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    With the digital speed controller and no load, I don`t think you`ll find much out just running it in the air. I guess worth trying. Maybe you can borrow the hood of your neighbor`s car?
    My mini just has Optiseal on it so I’ll try it on that I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the door of the MINI today. Kinda limited with what I can reach without a n extension cord. Did small sections (maybe 1x1]. The second pass , as has been the case, was where it got too hot for me to hold. Let it cool and replaced the brushes. Did the rest of the door and then half the windshield. Definitely better. It was warm at the end but handleable. It definitely still gets warmer than my PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the door of the MINI today. Kinda limited with what I can reach without a n extension cord. Did small sections (maybe 1x1]. The second pass , as has been the case, was where it got too hot for me to hold. Let it cool and replaced the brushes. Did the rest of the door and then half the windshield. Definitely better. It was warm at the end but handleable. It definitely still gets warmer than my PC.
    Its a stronger motor than your PC so that is to be expected. My FLEX 3401 gets MUCH hotter than my GG6. To the point I cant even touch the aluminum surround around the backing plate. Hopefully the extra brushes help!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Thread Information