Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt Cordless and Zaino PC

Hi, I am trying to correct light swirl marks on a white 2015 Macan using Zaino PC. I have a Dewalt cordless 5” random orbital and chemical guys hex pads (orange, white and black). Most random orbitals use speed settings, 1,2,3 etc. The Dewalt uses rpm, 2000-5500. Can someone recommend a speed setting in rpm for each pad? Also, should I need to use all of the pads? I would prefer a 1 pad, 1 product solution. I don’t expect it to be perfect. Any other tips and suggestions are appreciated.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dewalt Cordless and Zaino PC

Quote Originally Posted by Redknight9 View Post
    Hi, I am trying to correct light swirl marks on a white 2015 Macan using Zaino PC. I have a Dewalt cordless 5” random orbital and chemical guys hex pads (orange, white and black). Most random orbitals use speed settings, 1,2,3 etc. The Dewalt uses rpm, 2000-5500. Can someone recommend a speed setting in rpm for each pad? Also, should I need to use all of the pads? I would prefer a 1 pad, 1 product solution. I don’t expect it to be perfect. Any other tips and suggestions are appreciated.
    Do a test spot (18"X18") with the least aggressive method first, move up as necessary.
    Likes Stokdgs, Redknight9, PoisonTheWell liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Redknight9 - Welcome to the Forum !

Porsche paint is pretty medium to hard paint in in my experiences with it..

I know nothing of your C/Guys pads, so no help with them.

What is your experience level in years using your Random Orbital ? This will help us better respond to your questions.. Thanks..

Have used Zaino Fusion PC when it first came out over a decade+ ago and it was ok, but there are better products out there..

For any Random Orbital to work good, it needs Pad Rotation - the more the better -

If I had to use a Random Orbital, I would want to run it up as fast as it would go to get the most pad rotation to remove defects, and then slow it down to further refine the spot you are working on..

I also like to keep the pad a little moist so it will not dry up too soon.. I like to work the correcting/finishing/product down to nothing, and always get excellent results..

If all you have is 3 pads, that will not ever be enough if you are planning to going over your entire vehicle...

For example, I use only Rotary Power, and I might use 10-12 pads to completely correct a Cayenne that is pretty scratched up from the "brush&swirl" car wash..

If your C/Guys pads are Orange = heavy correcting, White = mild correcting, Black = Refining/Finishing pads, then you want to start with Orange, and your Zaino Fusion PC, squirt a little Zaino Z6 or something like distilled water on the pad to get it just "moist", and then work the spot until the product goes away..
    You are creating a little heat, so I like to keep the working surface and pad just " moist " enough, so that all the product is completely or almost completely gone, and then wipe off carefully with a clean microfiber, look at the spot, and see if you need to repeat the process..

In my experiences, I have found that allowing a product to dry to dust on the paintwork is not useful, creates a lot of dust that goes everywhere that needs to be removed, and makes for more steps/time to complete the correction on that spot of the panel..

You are going to need a foam pad cleaner as well.. Pads become dirty and clogged up, and then are useless and have to be changed to another one..
    Here is the one I have used for decades+ and it always works great and is easy to rinse out.. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/snap...l#.X-KHO1WQH3g

Foam pads may need 24 hours or more to dry out once they are cleaned and rinsed out... Put them on their edge standing up with air space between them to dry them out faster..

Good luck with this !
    Merry Christmas !
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Redknight9, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Redknight9, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to view Mike Phillips in action. 28 minutes in Mikes goes over counting. Black Fire One Step that he shows is a very good product to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ej_Dhb5nM
    Likes Stokdgs, Redknight9 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the very detailed response. I’ve used a rotary extensively many years ago but a random orbital is new to me. I’ve watched tons of videos on YouTube. Just want to be as prepared as possible. Also trying to keep it simple. What do you recommend instead of the Zaino?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the very detailed response. I’ve used a rotary extensively many years ago but a random orbital is new to me. I’ve watched tons of videos on YouTube. Just want to be as prepared as possible. Also trying to keep it simple. What do you recommend instead of the Zaino?
    Zaino AIO is still a favorite of mine. I use Blackfire One Step on everyday drivers I need to "compound" out. It stays "wet" for a long buffing time and does not sling and no powder.
    Likes Redknight9, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For the DeWalt, if you have the DCM 848, I tend to run most polishing on speed 4500 (sometimes 4000). If doing more correction for heavier defects, I bump up to 5000. On curvy areas where it may be prone to stalling, then I bump to max of 5500.

Me, I`d start with the Hex White pad. It`s a good overall pad. Do the test spot and inspect. If you`re happy with results, keep going. If you want more cut, go to the Orange Hex.

As mentioned earlier, Blackfire One Step is a nice product. I have no problems suggesting that one, and have recently got my 2nd 32oz bottle of it.
    Likes Stokdgs, Redknight9 liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite, Stokdgs, Redknight9 thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

You`ll need some speed to correct with ZPC. The best thing about ZPC is it`s cleaning ability.
    Likes Redknight9 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    For the DeWalt, if you have the DCM 848
    Where have I been? How did I miss this tool? Is it any good? Comparison to Flex cordless, etc.?
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Redkinght9 -

Tks for the reply.

I have used Sonax Perfect Finish (4 = Cut, 6 = Gloss) with my Makita 9237 Rotary, and Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan (Blue) 5-1/4" pads on a couple hundred German cars and had great success. Notice I used Rotary Power.. There are other products but to keep it simple, this has been a great combination for me..

Perhaps try your Zaino product and see how it takes out your paint defects, and go from there... There is never 1 perfect-going-to-work-every-time-process or product/s as you know..

Here is a link to that Sonax product I use - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/sona...l#.X-QkNlWQH3g

Merry Christmas !
    Dan F
    Thanks Redknight9 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Where have I been? How did I miss this tool? Is it any good? Comparison to Flex cordless, etc.?
    It’s only about a year old. Probably not as good as Flex but it’s cheaper and many like me will already have compatible batteries. I’ve only done a few test runs but I am very happy so far. I paid $247 for the tool only.

here is a review that also ranks compared to Flex, Makita and Adams.
    https://youtu.be/Tiz2WpCI4sY

Post Thanks / Like

Redknight9- Welcome to Autopia!

As you`re new to both the PC and the ZAIO, perhaps some of this might be useful:

-The PC-type machines can take *FOREVER* to do even mild correction...at least compared to a rotary. Using smaller plates/pads can help immensely (I consider it mandatory, but that`s just me)

-I utterly despise any pads that have dimples/depressions/etc. on their working surfaces. IME those just retain dried-up product and cut-off paint..which are the Devil and can really impact your results

-FWIW, I`ve had zero use for those very soft black pads, don`t even like them for waxes on soft paint, I just prefer firmer pads and that`s never had a negative impact on my results. See what *YOU* prefer, won`t really know until you try `em IME

-Speaking of which, I can`t imagine doing even *ONE PANEL* with only one pad on-hand. I *might* be able to do one or perhaps even two panels with the same pad, but note that I spend *FAR* more time cleaning/replacing pads than most could ever imagine (and doing that radically improved my results)

-I like/use/recommend Zaino AIO, but only as a base for more durable/better protecting products. It has *NEVER* done any correction for me, not even on soft single stage lacquer, dunno how others get it to do correction, it`s just too gentle I*M*E

-Related to the previous, I`d want something more durable/better protecting on that Macan (like those ) than Zaino, but if you like its Signature Look then I understand as it`s kinda unique

(And yeah...I *did* note that you said "light" marring...it`s still gonna take forever compared to a rotary)
    Thanks Redknight9 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don`t have a cordless Flex to compare it to. And when I do get one, it will be the forced rotation model.

The DeWalt is good, though. I do find myself using it more. it`s a 15mm, and I`m not really a long throw kind of guy, so my Griot`s BOSS G15 doesn`t see that much action. Having the cordless option is wonderful, so I probably already used the DeWalt more than the G15.

It’s only about a year old. Probably not as good as Flex but it’s cheaper and many like me will already have compatible batteries. I’ve only done a few test runs but I am very happy so far. I paid $247 for the tool only.
    Thanks for the video Redknight!! I have to check it out later.

I won`t say it`s not as good as a Flex. Quality wise, it`s there with Flex. It`s a DeWalt, and they make decent tools IME. But being that it was cheaper, and I already have the 20V max tools and batteries, I picked up the bare polisher for under 300$ - Much much cheaper than a Flex.

Here`s a short video for sound comparison. I`ll [eventually] get around to writing up a full review.

Likes Stokdgs, Redknight9, Ollever liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Redknight9 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus, hows the power of dewalt compare to your G15? Its the same polisher i have.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used Zaino PC for years, its a pretty good cleaner compound. If you`re looking for something better, Griots correcting cream line up is pretty good. It`s easier to use and just as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information