Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`m going to buy a flex polisher

I am looking at these 2 models because I want a better 8mm throw

I an never seem to get the flex website to open so I would like some input on these 2 models

Flex 3401 or Flex XCE 10-8

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I`m going to buy a flex polisher

Great choice! Forced rotation is a powerhouse.

I have both and like both.

3401/aka The Beast: Just as the name implies. It will cut defects out! No worrying about pad rotation/stalling. It just goes.

XC 10-8/aka The Supa Beast: Very similar to the 3401. No aluminum shroud, it is plastic on this model. It is lighter and a little quieter than the 3401. It also does not get as hot as the 3401. I don`t have much time behind it, however the performance appears to be the same/simialr to the 3401.

Hope this helps you decide! Can`t go wrong with either of them IMO.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Ollever, John U liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I am looking at these 2 models because I want a better 8mm throw

I an never seem to get the flex website to open so I would like some input on these 2 models

Flex 3401 or Flex XCE 10-8

Thanks

Astouffer512 --
    I purchased the Flex XC- 3401-VRG when it first came out, I believe in mid 2000`s..
    Just wanted to see what all the hoopla was about.

It rotates Counter-Clockwise, so that takes getting used to (it wants to go to the left), if you have run machines that rotate Clockwise all your life..

Back then, it came with only 1 - 6" backing plate, so I cut the backing plate down so it would accept 5" pads. It was much easier to manage with the 5" pads..

Later, Flex started offering the 5-1/2" I think, smaller backing plate for those that preferred it over the 6" one..

I believe you can purchase other parts that allow you to change pad sizes to even 3" size pads now..

Since I have used Rotary Power for decades and am never going to change, this XC3401-VRG has had a really nice life in the cabinet..
    I have used it a few times over the years, to quickly apply sealants, etc., only..

Here is the Flex at the Autopia Store -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/flex...l#.XrTH7kSpH3g

I went straight to the Flex website with no problem - Here is what I used -- https://www.flex-tools.com/en/compet...f97f3c9d37fc10
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I love the 3401. Awesome tool and a must have in my opinion. The Supa Beast is an updated model of the 3401 but I haven’t used it yet to directly compare although I would feel confident in purchasing it.

I must respectfully disagree with Dan above. I also have been using a rotary forever and still do. I could care less which way a tool spins. It only matters if you are picking up a bead of polish. If you hold the pad flat it will not pull in any direction. Of course if you buff on an edge, it will pull or if you are not holding the pad flat it will pull. The tool teaches you how to hold a pad flat fast.

While pad size is a personal preference, I prefer using 6.5 inch pads on the factory installed backing plate to cover more area. It’s nice that there are different backing plate sizes now for those that wish to run smaller pads.

Great thing about forced rotation is zero pad stalling!!
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I sure don`t want to be without my Flex 3401, I [REPEAT what others have posted, on both sides of the fence].

I don`t mind how it works, it`s plenty user-friendly *FOR ME*. But a whole lotta people *don`t like it* and I`d hate for you to spend your $ only to find yourself of that opinion.

And perhaps most importantly, I only consider it useful for major correction. I`ve *NEVER* had it finish out to my satisfaction by a long shot. I see it as strictly a replacement for the rotary/cutting pad combos I used previously- it knocks down the worst flaws and gets things ready for refining (with something else). If that fits the bill for you, then sure, but for a does-lots-of-stuff polisher...nah, not IMO.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

I went straight to the Flex website with no problem - Here is what I used -- https://www.flex-tools.com/en/compet...f97f3c9d37fc10
    Dan F
    Interesting..... The "mothership" does not list the 3401. Looks like the transition to the "new" beast XCE 10-8 is underway!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`m going to buy a flex polisher

Lots of good info here. I really appreciate it.

Will either of these 2 models I am asking about from flex be a better option than a 21MM throw free spinning DA.

This would be used on the 1st step on from what I know now to probably be a Honda Pilot (assuming soft clear) and a Chevy Silverado (not sure what clear)

And I know not necessarily apples to apples because of the orbit difference, but looking more in terms of defect removal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think in terms of just defect removal the 3401/10-8 can`t be beat. (except rotary)

My usual MO: 3401 or equivalent for defect removal/cutting/compounding/etc.

DA/Long throw or equivalent for my finishing stages.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Will either of these 2 models I am asking about from flex be a better option than a 21MM throw free spinning DA..
    I`ve never used a 21mm unit, I decided I didn`t want/need one since I have the Flex 3401. The longer throw brings a few negatives to the table for me with regard to doing things other than big/broad panels. But I bet this is one of those subjective things where fans of the 21mm will say they don`t need/want the Flex 3401 for similarly subjective reasons...so which subject do you think *you* are? That`s the Q IMO...

This would be used on the 1st step on from what I know now to probably be a Honda Pilot (assuming soft clear) and a Chevy Silverado (not sure what clear)
    I`d assume (yeah..uh-oh!) that the Silverado is pretty hard.
    And I know not necessarily apples to apples because of the orbit difference, but looking more in terms of defect removal
    While you`d get a more useful response from somebody who`s used both types, I`d lean towards the Flex since it simply *won`t* stall if you apply pressure (which is another topic where different people have different opinions).

And I can`t help but wonder how well the 21mm units cut at the outer reaches of that long throw..whether it`s the same degree of cut that the rest of the area being worked experiences. (And I do wonder about it..I don`t know.)

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info here. I really appreciate it.

Will either of these 2 models I am asking about from flex be a better option than a 21MM throw free spinning DA.

Astouffer512 --

When I told you this -- Post #3 --

""It rotates Counter-Clockwise, so that takes getting used to (it wants to go to the left), if you have run machines that rotate Clockwise all your life""..

I was not in any way saying that you could not or would not get used to the opposite rotation; I was telling you, this is what the Flex XC3401VRG does. Just an FYI--
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512 --

""It rotates Counter-Clockwise, so that takes getting used to (it wants to go to the left), if you have run machines that rotate Clockwise all your life""..

I was not in any way saying that you could not or would not get used to the opposite rotation; I was telling you, this is what the Flex XC3401VRG does. Just an FYI--
    Dan F
    Some people *really* took issue with that. I didn`t, and OK I kinda wondered what the big deal is, but still...

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512 --

Dan F
    Thanks for pointing that out!!!
    Having owned mine since they they were introduced, I never realized that! I knew there was “something” when I turned it on, but I paid no attention as soon it gets down to business.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve never used a 21mm unit, I decided I didn`t want/need one since I have the Flex 3401. The longer throw brings a few negatives to the table for me with regard to doing things other than big/broad panels. But I bet this is one of those subjective things where fans of the 21mm will say they don`t need/want the Flex 3401 for similarly subjective reasons...so which subject do you think *you* are? That`s the Q IMO...

I`d assume (yeah..uh-oh!) that the Silverado is pretty hard.

While you`d get a more useful response from somebody who`s used both types, I`d lean towards the Flex since it simply *won`t* stall if you apply pressure (which is another topic where different people have different opinions).

And I can`t help but wonder how well the 21mm units cut at the outer reaches of that long throw..whether it`s the same degree of cut that the rest of the area being worked experiences. (And I do wonder about it..I don`t know.)
    Well I decided to go with a 21MM for now, I found a really good deal on one so I`ll go with that for both. Main reason being is both the Honda and the Silverado will be all but new vehicles. The Honda will be new for us come July, and the Silverado was new to my father in law right before winter. So hopefully both of these just need more of a polish and any form of cutting. (I know not guaranteed with any new vehicle, but my hope is so)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I think in terms of just defect removal the 3401/10-8 can`t be beat. (except rotary)

My usual MO: 3401 or equivalent for defect removal/cutting/compounding/etc.

DA/Long throw or equivalent for my finishing stages.
    With my above statement I hope by this year around the holiday time sales i will have enough saved to then by the Flex.
    Astouffer512 --

Dan F
    Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out!!!
    Having owned mine since they they were introduced, I never realized that! I knew there was “something” when I turned it on, but I paid no attention as soon it gets down to business.
    So does that mean its left to right for your polisher movement?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I decided to go with a 21MM for now, I found a really good deal on one so I`ll go with that for both. Main reason being is both the Honda and the Silverado will be all but new vehicles. The Honda will be new for us come July, and the Silverado was new to my father in law right before winter. So hopefully both of these just need more of a polish and any form of cutting. (I know not guaranteed with any new vehicle, but my hope is so)
    With my above statement I hope by this year around the holiday time sales i will have enough saved to then by the Flex. So does that mean its left to right for your polisher movement?

Which 21mm did you buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I decided to go with a 21MM for now..
    OK, hope that works out perfectly for you. Hey, a *LOT* of people love `em and my concerns are probably quite related to my specific vehicles.

With my above statement I hope by this year around the holiday time sales i will have enough saved to then by the Flex. So does that mean its left to right for your polisher movement?
    That`d sure give you some great options!

The only time I pay any attention to the direction is when working around the edges of panels, where ya need to work "away from/off the edge". Or at least that`s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information