Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triggered

Post Thanks / Like

Triggered

I think I have an old thread here at Autopia, or at least some posts (possible it was at AGO) bemoaning the lack of a small form-factor polisher (for ~3" pads) which would have the layout of something like a Flex 3401, with a trigger switch. Of course Flex finally came out with a small polisher, the PXE-80, which has a slide on-off switch. I had kind of forgotten about it until I dug up that Mike Phillips glass polishing video for another thread, where I came across another vid where he was using the "pixie" on some inside glass.

So I was looking at the polishers here in the Autopia Car Care store, and noticed that Griot`s has a similar machine, BUT WITH A TRIGGER. Going to the Griot`s site, all of their polishers have triggers, including the small DA`s (the one that`s like the "pixie" is a "hybrid", these machines along with the Rupes nano (which has a trigger) are convertible between DA and rotary).

It seems like Griot`s is the only company that got the memo, that power tools should have triggers. No one here has a power drill with an on-off switch. Not sure why almost all of the "PC-class" tools from Rupes, Zentool, Flex, etc. have on-off switches...maybe it`s a pricing constraint.

Who else thinks everything should have a trigger?
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Triggered

On-off last longer with less maintance, and lower production cost.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Triggers are good for short duration polishing but I really don`t want to hold onto a trigger for hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Triggers are good for short duration polishing but I really don`t want to hold onto a trigger for hours.
    That`s why they make trigger locks.
    Likes Ron Ketcham, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m all about (lockable) triggers.

This reminds me that I need to get rid of my Rupes Mini, which was too PC-like for my taste (got a GG unit to use instead).
    Likes Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Cyclo doesn`t have a trigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    My Cyclo doesn`t have a trigger.
    Funny, but the toggle switches on my Cyclos don`t bug me a bit despite me general preference for a trigger. Maybe I`m just that used to the Cyclos after what..maybe 40 years or so.

Post Thanks / Like

God, where is my Cyclo? I forgot all about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Triggered

Cyclo polisher are such a pleasure to use but you seldom see them mentioned today. What a shame
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tool. But gets heavy after awhile on vertical panels. And very little vibration.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Cyclos look to bulky to get in tight spaces.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cyclo polishers are the ONLY reason 4"diameter foam pads exist today. And , yes, I have them for use on my older Porter-Cable Dual-Action 7424 polisher.
    Long live 4" pads!
    On-Off switch and the thumb-wheel rotation speed control work for me, but that is because I am used to it on the PC-DA. Triggers are great for drills that are used for a short-time duration. Long-time duration usage, even with a trigger lock? Not sure; depends what you get used to.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Triggers are great for drills that are used for a short-time duration. Long-time duration usage, even with a trigger lock? Not sure; depends what you get used to.
    How long do you really keep the trigger depressed when you are polishing a car? If you are doing a 2` x 2` section, as is frequently recommended, not very long. If you were doing a 30` boat that you had preapplied the polish to, then I can see it being a long time, but that`s what the lock is for. I mean how long do you polish a section on your vehicle? 2 minutes? I don`t hear anybody complaining "oh, I went around my car to hose it off (or pressure wash it off), and I had to hold down the trigger on my spray nozzle (or pressure washer wand) for 2 minutes, why can`t they make a spray nozzle with an on-off switch???" (yes, I`m aware there are shut-off valves etc. for that)

So, to your point, Lonnie, I guess it`s what you`re used to, if you are used to holding your spray nozzle trigger down, it`s no big deal, but if you have a polisher with an on-off switch, then a trigger is a big complication.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Cyclos look to bulky to get in tight spaces.
    They aren`t right for every application. The tight spaces were generally less of an issue for me than certain panel contours, but eh, that`ll just depend on what the vehicle is like. I bought my first PC/non-Cyclo polisher when my Cyclo proved utterly unsuited to polishing my XJS. Before that, I never gave any thought at all to having a different polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny i just gave my grandson my cyclo polisher today for his older chevy pickup truck to learn on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information