Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pad Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Pad Cleaning

For foam (and other) pads, do I really need one of those little handheld wire brush things to condition or clean them? I want to use water and some soap. And when I`m about to buff, do I put a few drops if water in the pad first?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad Cleaning

FWIW, I find those Pad Cleaning Brushes utterly useless and don`t even know where mine is anymore. Only found it helpful back when I was using the rotaries. I *do* wipe used product/cut-off clear off/out of foam pads regularly when I`m working though, and get out a new one when that`s not sufficient. But for actual PAD CLEANING I do it in the sink and then let them dry for hours (yeah, I do plan to DIY a pad washing setup in an old bucket some day).

MF pads I clean with compressed air. Period. I`d even buy a small compressor just for stuff like that if I didn`t already have air, but then IMO everybody oughta have at least one air compressor, even people in apartments.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I`ll just buy a can of compressed air, instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a pad cleaning brush in between sections for foam and for MF pads similar to Accumulator i have a smaller air compressor which is pretty much just dedicated to clean MF pads and blow air for crevices and under seats etc.

Ive also just purchased a lot of pads over the year and use as many pads as possible on a vehicle. For example ill use 1 MF pad per panel or 2 for larger panels (hood/ roof). This way I work cleaner, have to clean less in between sections, and hopefully increase pad life.

Once I am done with the pads I like soaking them in a bucket of warm with some snappy clean or Mckees 37 pad cleaning powder stuff and let them soak for 15-20min. This really seems to help loosen up a lot of the residue then just rinse them out under the sink and if i need to lightly agitate them and put them to dry on the rack. Let them dry over night and they are usually good to go for the next day if I need them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mass. Wine Guy View Post
    I tried that before I got my small air compressor. It did nothing lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mass. Wine Guy View Post
    Even with (only) MF pads, I bet you`d go through that *FAST*, and with foam....uh-oh especially since you need a fair amount of oomph.

Eh, I`d spend a little at Harbor Freight and have a compressor for the rest of your life. No more runs to the filling station to adjust tire pressure and it`ll blow water out of nooks and crannies after a wash. All win for what....maybe $40.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly you can get a small 3 gallon compressor from harbor freight on sale for around $50 - $60

Post Thanks / Like

Some day I`ll buy a dedicated Pad Cleaning Product, for now I`m using up my APCs and old Power Dissolver for that.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Honestly you can get a small 3 gallon compressor from harbor freight on sale for around $50 - $60
    I waited *forever* for them to offer one of their coupons for it before I got mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Some day I`ll buy a dedicated Pad Cleaning Product, for now I`m using up my APCs and old Power Dissolver for that.
    TBH i have a dedicated lake country pad washer 3000 terminator pad cleaner lol and ive used it all of one time lol

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll confess I sometimes wait a month to wash my pads, I have way too many and it ends up being a big ordeal because I`ll have three or four vehicles worth of pads to clean

I put mine through the washing machine with some tornado soaked on them and then a little bit of typhoon

once they come out I clean them with the pad cleaning brush from autopia (the really large one) and some tornado

the only pads that don`t come out 100% are my urofibers, but I just blow them out with some air and seems to do the trick

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

512Detail- I`ve been known to let mine sit around uncleaned for a while too Never really an issue, yet.

RaydiantDetail- Yeah, with the way I hardly ever do correction I don`t think I`ll ever use one much either. Still think I`ll fab up that DIY one though, if only because my broken bucket that`ll work well for it has some sentimental value (first carwash bucket I bought, back in 1976).
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my DIY Pad dryer. Couple of grit guards, some stainless threaded rod, nuts/washers and a 5 gal bucket. Wash the pads, stick them in, stick on top of vent to dry.
    Pad Cleaning-20161223_090744.jpgPad Cleaning-20161223_090811.jpg Pad Cleaning-20161223_090723.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I built one of these for washing pads-- originally designed by Swanicyouth and they work great--- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkLX...ature=youtu.be

For quick drying I lay them on the floor between a folded thick old terry towel and step on each one then let them air dry overnight.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

That looks cool. Curious does that cause any issues at all with the pad structure or weaken the backing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information