Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What machine to buy

Sounds good
    So you guys understand. I am sure most of you are detail junkies. I am to a point. I haven`t had time to invest on forums with info because I have been rebuilding the engine in the car etc etc.. so when u talk about hybrid pads etc I am in the dark

SO. Can you guys enlighten me on what pads are good. And should. Purchase from autopia or auto geek ect. Also. What the hell is this WASHER MOD?

Thanks for all your help and info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes HCF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Us1champ View Post
    Sounds good
    So you guys understand. I am sure most of you are detail junkies. I am to a point. I haven`t had time to invest on forums with info because I have been rebuilding the engine in the car etc etc.. so when u talk about hybrid pads etc I am in the dark

SO. Can you guys enlighten me on what pads are good. And should. Purchase from autopia or auto geek ect. Also. What the hell is this WASHER MOD?

Don`t worry about all that other stuff. Get a GG6 polisher, order a 5" backing plate with the 5/16 thread built in, and some Buff and shine 5.5" flat pads. You can`t go wrong with this setup! Later you can get a 2 7/8 backing plate and some 3" pads to add some more flexibility if you so choose.
    Unless your doing polishing everyday to make a living, you just don`t need anything else...
    Likes KBsToy, rlmccarty2000, dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good

I typically recommend Buff and Shine Grip Pads.

I set my students up with green to cut, blue to polish, and red for sealant.

Those pads, paired with Meguiar`s Ultimate line, and the Porter Cable tool are the overall set up. These products have worked great for me since 2011, when I put the rotary aside, and really started using the PC more.

Also, I do carry Buff and Shine microfiber pads with me too. On occasion I will encounter some really hard paint. The Ultimate Compound on a microfiber pad makes very, very short work of the defects of the green pad is taking too long.

The washer mod refers to placing a sized washer between the backing plate recess and spindle on a Rupes type tool. These tools are designed that a rubber shroud is in constant contact with the plate, preventing excessive rotations. It`s a popular modification to remove this drag on the plate so that maximum rotation would be realized.
    Likes KBsToy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Us1champ, I recognize the name from some Mopar forums. I can be found as QwickSilverC on them.
    Lots of good info around here and very helpful people.
    I`ve had pc7424 for years and just got a Rupes 15 Mark ii today so I haven`t had chance to try it. Hopefully before Challengerfest. The 7424 has been good to me it`s solid machine but after running it all day my arms are tired and the vibration.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir. On most the Mopar forums

Thanks for all the info everyone

Likes HCF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    The 21 can be a beast if you are not familiar with it. If this is your first talk stroke machine, stick with the 15.
    You can do a lot more with a 15 vs a 21. Bigger isn`t always better. Think of the stroke a 21 is moving vs a 15.

Post Thanks / Like

I am the type of person that try`s to research before making decisions. Hence questions I am asking. When it comes to pads. I see there is slot of flavors and co. Lake country, griots, Adams, ect ect ect

Arnt most made by one or two places out of the same foam just out a HEX LOGIC. Face in it or ribs or what have you?
    Also and I don`t mean to derail things and be the guy that some are sitting and reading right now. Shaking there head at the screen going. REALLY ! Lol
    Microfiber pads. Can someone guide me in these. I see they are more aggressive but how do you know when to use them and who`s is good ect.
    Just trying to be informed

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Autopia and Autogeek for most of the pads under the sun. You can find microfiber, foam from the big names. Most give a description of what each color is designed to do.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars makes a kit with a backing plate for say a PC 7424 or a GG6 polisher it comes with pads and proper polishes.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit

Not saying you wouldn`t want a couple additional pads on top of that kit but it`s a good starter kit to make a normal DA polisher do work.

Likes BudgetPlan1, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Meguiars makes a kit with a backing plate for say a PC 7424 or a GG6 polisher it comes with pads and proper polishes.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit

Not saying you wouldn`t want a couple additional pads on top of that kit but it`s a good starter kit to make a normal DA polisher do work.

D300 w/ the microfiber cuttings discs is good stuff, can do some pretty good heavy lifting.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also this is good to look at if you think you like the sounds of the kit.

Using Meguiar`s D/A Microfiber Correction System

Post Thanks / Like

I am the type of person that try`s to research before making decisions. Hence questions I am asking. When it comes to pads. I see there is slot of flavors and co. Lake country, griots, Adams, ect ect ect

Arnt most made by one or two places out of the same foam just out a HEX LOGIC. Face in it or ribs or what have you?
    Also and I don`t mean to derail things and be the guy that some are sitting and reading right now. Shaking there head at the screen going. REALLY ! Lol
    Microfiber pads. Can someone guide me in these. I see they are more aggressive but how do you know when to use them and who`s is good ect.
    Just trying to be informed

There are a few companies that have their pads made by B&S or LC, but it`s usually to their specs and some will have foams that are unique to their line. Rupes and Griot`s system pads are weighted to their machines so they will have the least vibration, but really, most all the pads out there will work well.

MF pads are awesome IMO, they cut very well but they will also leave behind some light DA haze that needs to be refined by a proceeding step with a foam pad and finishing polish. Only way to know which pad to use is with a test spot, but visually seeing the paint condition should give you and idea of what s needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    MF pads are awesome IMO, they cut very well ...
    And they`re just *so* easy to clean out with compressed air!
    Likes RaskyR1, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And they`re just *so* easy to clean out with compressed air!
    And they last longer than foam pads!
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How about
    3" DA backing plate. 4" B & S flat pads, Orange/white/black, MF cutting pads.
    5" DA backing plate. 5" B & S flat pads, same as above

This is a starting place,
    B&S is cheaper and you could start collecting more colors as you go.
    I suggest this mainly because of the set-back velcro on the pads, similar to Hexlogic that you mentioned,
    and It`s where I started. Some 200 pads ago.

Good Luck and keep a postin`

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information