Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How much product to use

It has been a while since I really did any correction but I made an attempt yesterday. I am a poser for sure. I clearly used too much meguires 105 on my harbor freight DA withe HF orange pad.

I was getting some gumming and dusting.

What is a proper amount to use and can I typically use one pad for the entire car without it getting too loaded up?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much product to use

Quote Originally Posted by frito View Post
    It has been a while since I really did any correction but I made an attempt yesterday. I am a poser for sure. I clearly used too much meguires 105 on my harbor freight DA withe HF orange pad.

I was getting some gumming and dusting.

What is a proper amount to use and can I typically use one pad for the entire car without it getting too loaded up?

Sorry for my ignorance.
    M105 has good cutting ability. One pad is not enough to correct an entire vehicle. Minimum 5 pads. When I use M105, I prime the pad first meaning I coat the whole pad with 105 spread the coat on panel. Then after coating, I place 4 or 5 dime size dots on the pad. 105 in my experience will gum the pads. I clean my pad after every 4 passes. Once no cutting is being attained, either I change pads or wash pad thoroughly and spin dry.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    M105 has good cutting ability. One pad is not enough to correct an entire vehicle. Minimum 5 pads. When I use M105, I prime the pad first meaning I coat the whole pad with 105 spread the coat on panel. Then after coating, I place 4 or 5 dime size dots on the pad. 105 in my experience will gum the pads. I clean my pad after every 4 passes. Once no cutting is being attained, either I change pads or wash pad thoroughly and spin dry.

This^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha. I normally start with a dry pad so cleaning and spinning dry was not in my playbook

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha. I normally start with a dry pad so cleaning and spinning dry was not in my playbook
    Also if you are trying to dry them quickly you can place them against the back of a box fan on high. Humidity makes a big difference how well this works, if its dry out they can dry in 10-15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks you guys, onto M205 this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Might wanna give M101 a try or D300 w/ the microfiber cutting discs. For me, 105 ain`t worth all the trouble/peculiarities...snatched a small bottle once just to see what all the hubub was about, tossed in garbage after 1 section even using all the `M105-specific` recommendations. Other options work just as well (if not better) in a more straightforward manner.

Although not much is gonna work at 1 pad per vehicle.
    Likes Ronkh, dschribs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I threw away my 105 the day I bought D300 and MF pads. Absolutely hated it.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I *really* like M105, only switched to M101 as it works better for me on the clears I normally correct.

But yeah, unless you`re wired like Yours Truly the M105 can take some getting used to, from priming the pad (as per the Kevin Brown Method) to the quick work-time, to the need for a *LOT* of pads (no matter how often/thoroughly you clean them).

One *FOAM* pad?!? Sorry, felt shocked for a moment there....I can`t remember the last time I corrected even a full panel with one foam pad, no matter what product I was using. MF is different, at least if you have compressed air, but I still use a lot of them. Other than the expense (and, OK..the lost time swapping/priming them) I can`t see any downside to frequently switching to a new/uncontaminated pad. Especially when doing significant correction with aggressive products (think "cut-off clear", not just dried product). Only takes a short time for the cut-off clear to build up, and with M105`s fast work time the pad is gonna get (over)loaded with dried product *fast* even if you blow it clean with compressed air (which works a lot better with MF than it does with foam). Once it gets loaded up I`ve never been able to thoroughly clean it with a towel/etc. in a remotely timely manner, better to just grab a fresh one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Like I said I have not done much correction. I should say that I used such and aggressive product since my car, now 2 years old, has never been polished and it had enough little scuffs etc. It however had very little swirling as I don’t touch the paint much to avoid it.

Anyway, things were a lot better with M205 and I will look into the other products listed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Like I said I have not done much correction. I should say that I used such and aggressive product since my car, now 2 years old, has never been polished and it had enough little scuffs etc. It however had very little swirling as I don’t touch the paint much to avoid it.

Anyway, things were a lot better with M205 and I will look into the other products listed.
    There are quite a lot of great products out there, as well as pads.

Post Thanks / Like

My process for M105 was to spritz with M34, add four small dots of product, and reload with two or three dots for subsequent sections. My normal cutting pad is actually now referred to as a polishing pad - green or pink 60ppi medium density foam. If that or a Cyan Hydrotech can`t do the job, I use a microfiber.

I no longer use M105, unless I`m using a rotary. M100 has taken it`s place for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post

Would you guess using that amount of polish would total to about 2 ounces of polish on an average car? Seems like that is approximately how much I use on a typical car.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can see using 2 ounces if much cutting has to be done

Post Thanks / Like

I will use my M105 up and try another product. When I started using M105 and M205 they were pretty new and now I see they have really expanded the range. I guess I need to do a little research on M101, M100, D300 etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information