Thread: Pc 7424

Post Thanks / Like

Pc 7424

Does anyone on here use one of these?

Or is is a out dated item / tool

Would like to get some input from folks that use this tool

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pc 7424

I have one, bought mine back in 2009 and it still works like a charm. I purchased a Flex3401 and assigned my PC for 3" pads , it`s faster to put one machine down and pick the other one up rather than switching backing plates . There are other machines out there that I believe might be stronger (Griots DA) , and I`ve seen plenty of folks have good success with the Harbor Freight DA.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this and the gg6" and the gg6" is far supieor with life time warrenty and corrective power. My pc is getting destined to be either sold, used as loaner, or as carpet/upholstery tool. Although my go to polishers are my rupes now.

Post Thanks / Like

The PC 7424XP was the first tool I purchased and learned on. It`s a good polisher to get started. It can correct well especially with a 5" backing plate and thin pads. Mine is still going strong after a few years. I used it very rarely now that I have my Rupes polishers. The only downside I had with the PC is that it would numb my hands and leave me with a tingling sensation after hours of work from the vibration of the machine. Essentially hand fatigue.

But it`s a good polisher to start with and get the hang of using a DA polisher.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes trashmanssd, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Groit`s GG6 (same style machine just considered slightly better by many people, little smoother and little more power) great machines to learn on and perfectly fine machine for someone who`s only doing their own 1-2 cars once a year or so. Like others have said just save your self some money and time by getting 5" backing plate and using 5-5.5" thin style pads (thin pads are 9/16" - 7/8" thick pads), I bought one of the package deals with (6) 6.5" pads (1 1/4" thick CCS pads) and those pads worked but not have as well and easy as the 5" this pads do.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had the 3401, I have some Rupes polishers, I have the 7424xp, but the 1st Gen 7424 is the machine I use most.

The last vehicle I corrected had a ton of branch marring from a hunter driving through the woods. I used my typical green hexadecimal, and ultimate compound on speed 4.5-5 with the 1st Gen, with light pressure.

I`ve had tougher paints that I need to use a microfiber pad with the Ultimate compound.

To get the most out of this polisher, I`d stay away from hard, stiff euro foam cutting pads. I like green Hex Logic/Buff and Shine pads for defect removal. For stubborn paints I`ll use Rupes blue microfiber pads with UC, or M100. I also use thin, dense vinyl backing plates on it, like the 3M 202026 (?), or the newer Meguiar`s plate.

The large open cell pads are more active in helping the abrasives cut into the paint. Because of the softer nature, they`re also able to navigate irregularities in the surface, and still rotate. The stiffer pads rely more on the abrasive only to get the job done. They generally need more pressure to accomplish this, which reduces rotation. Rotation is also reduced when a slight curve or contour is encountered with a stiff pad. The American foams also significantly reduce vibration. I only use the orange foams for one step polishing these days. Something like M205, or SwirlX because they`re smooth on the surface, and finish very well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pair, though technically the one is a 7336 (same internally). Both have been rebuilt at least once; they`ve seen a lot of use.

IME, this tool is far better suited to its original purpose of finish-sanding wood. To correct autopaint I have to use a 4" pad for anything to happen in a remotely timely manner. The vibration when its operating is far worse than any of my other polishers and could pose a genuine risk of injury for somebody prone to White Finger-type issues.

Thank goodness there are far more capable machines available these days. I don`t even use my PCs to apply wax any more, they might never leave the shelf again unless I donate them to charity.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was the machine I started with. Does the job just fine, just takes a little longer than the long throw options. Today I use it for applying waxes/sealant. I have a GG Boss 15 to handle polishing and correcting and a GG 3" for the smaller areas.

Post Thanks / Like

I too started with the 7424XP. I followed up with the GG6, and yes, it is a slightly stronger machine. I then used the PC with 3" pads, while using the GG6 with 5" pads.

Until I got another machine. At that point, the GG6 was used with 3" pads, and the PC now serves duty as my wet sanding machine (but I don`t sand too much).

The PC can still perform, especially with the newer stuff out there, like the thin pads people have mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know...while I say the PC (well, at least the old pre-XP model) is ineffective, the *only* time I`ve damaged clear by being too aggressive was with the PC/Cyclo green/3M PI-III Machine Glaze 05937 (not really a glaze, rather a mild Finishing Polish). Had to have a repair spotted in on the MPV after I damaged it by overdoing it with this fairly gentle combo. Never did that with anything else, not even seemingly aggressive rotary work. Just goes to show that Abrasion is Abrasion, even if it happens slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the older 7424 and I like it. Nice for light correction and light polish and waxing. Also, I will put a brush on it for scrubbing seats, carpet. I am used to issuing a rotary for heavy correcting/ polishing. Not a bad machine all tho

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pic posted to the Meguiar`s FB page, of a 50/50 where I removed 1500 grit with the old 7424, green pads, and M100. I was doing a light clean up for a friend, and he decided to level the orange peel in his single stage respray...

I was in a fairly remote location, and didn`t have anything else to use. I gave the 7424 a shot, and it worked. It too a few hours to complete the process, but I did it. I figure that if I can keep abrasives rolling around on the paint, while a pad is rotating, eventually something is going to give.

People kill their process by putting too much pressure on the pad, killing rotation. I know the experts recommend it, but it`s never been proven to me in practice to be an effective technique. It was the rotary that taught me the technique that I transferred to the random orbit machine.

Actually, the first time I ever used the 7424xp, I struck through paint. Blew my mind. I had been using a rotary since 1998 - no issues. 12 years later I use a pc - struck through some paint.

I`ll try and post that 50/50 shot to my photo album. I`m horrible loading pics to these things...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts fellas-- I have one of the "older" 7424 (no XP) machines/tools. It came in a kit I purchased many years ago and never even used it one time, got scared I would screw the paint up so I just stashed it- re-located it the other day and am thinking about using it.
    It has a thin backing plate that is 5 and 3/4" wide. i don`t have a wrench to remove it-- those wrenches must be wafer thin cause I aen`t got nothin` even remotely close to fitting into that gap to hold the spindle.

Please keep the recommendations coming as I think I will get the courage to use this

All I will be doing is light work- ( wax removal / polishing) for the time being

You guys are the best!!
    Likes danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is still going strong.......doing carpet duty lol. It`s gotten it`s share of use over many years, but I`ve since moved on to a Rupes

Post Thanks / Like

Pc 7424

Another example of "outdated technology" Lolz that still works great.

I use mine (non XP ~ 2005 version) all the time with 3" pads after years of using the GG6 for that purpose.

It works better for smaller pads than the GG6 because the spindle housing is smaller and it`s not so top heavy feeling with a 3" plate...

Quite frankly, people were using these machines with older polishes & older abrasive technology 10 years ago and getting pretty much the same results we are getting today with the latest and greatest....

So the machine still works well, it just may take a bit longer to get the job done.

If you don`t have the BP wrench, PBMG sells them, or can can simply jamb a long skinny screw driver against the spindle and twist the BP til it comes loose... Ask me how I know that... Lost a few of those wrenches til I finally bought 3 and put them in various spots.
    Likes danlc95, re-tired liked this post
    Thanks re-tired thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information