Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary buffing??

With all the new dual action polishers on the market today, are there people out there who use rotary polishers on a daily basis still? If so what are you using for pads (foam and/or wool)? And what compounds/polishes are you using nowadays?

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary buffing??

Yep still plenty of rotary users. I`m a hobbyist but I prefer the rotary. Just can`t beat the buttery smoothness of a pe14, and the speed of correction is awesome.

I like the curved CCS pads. Pink for heavier polishing, black for jeweling. For really messed up paint, the white cool wave pads with 3D AAT compound makes really quick work of it. 3D/HD polishes are my favorites, very user friendly, long work time.
    Likes jtford95 liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

My Makita 9227C is all I have ever used and as already been said above, the speed of correction and smoothness is so much faster and easier on the joints..

I bought a new Flex 3401VRG around 10 years ago when it first came out, to see what it was all about coming from a big German company that polishes stone...
    It was a pretty good machine for what it does, has more pad rotation than anyone else in the Random Orbital world, works like a beast, but you just have to get used to the counter-clockwise rotation and then you have it..

And like all Random Orbitals, there comes with it an amount of vibration, which after using for several hours non stop, will leave your hands numb sometimes..

I only use Flat Foam Pads, have messed around with the Microfiber but it`s too much trouble for my needs, and then you have to come back and clear up the paintwork, where I can get all the correction and clear glossy paintwork usually with 1 foam pad type..

There is a zillion compounds and polishes out there, I prefer Menzerna and Optimum, sometimes a little Sonax and Im good..

I will just stick with the Rotary Power and get very flat, clear as glass correction with no swirl marks, etc...
    Dan F
    Likes ShaneB, davidc, JustJesus, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Still many rotary users out there. Dan hit on all the key points. Any dual action polisher will have vibration. Nothing you can do about it really. IMO the large throw DA polishers with the right setup can cut extremely well and typically finish better than a rotary (in all but the most experienced hands). However as much as I`m a DA kind of guy, if you really need to do a lot of cutting and do it fast, rotary/wool is the way to go.

every tool has its place. All comes down to personal preference and experience. As much as I love my Rupes 21, if another pe-14 comes up in an open box deal for a really good price, I may jump on it! I love how smooth rotary buffers are
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs, pmdr85, davidc, Mary B, richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    if another pe-14 comes up in an open box deal for a really good price, I may jump on it! I love how smooth rotary buffers are
    The PE is the single greatest detailing polisher of all time. I can get into any spot with an extension, have incredible cutting power and finish at levels most can only imagine. Then the added bonus of being smoother then a rolls royce helps as well.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Stokdgs, davidc, jrock645, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the PE is a sick machine. I didn`t even know that flex and those companies that are big into the whole D.A. scene made rotary polishers until about a month ago. I ended up buying a gg6 and a bunch of pads but just wasn`t feeling it. I`ve used my rotary still since then.

Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One day when I can afford it... A PE-14. First a Boss15
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mary B View Post
    One day when I can afford it... A PE-14. First a Boss15
    Keep an eye out for them open box deals. I got one that looks new at an incredible price. Haven`t put it to paint, but holding it, and "rev`n" it - it feels so good. Solid. Fairly quiet. And smoooooth.
    Likes Stokdgs, richy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m probably going to start using my gg6 for polishing after I do some heavy cutting with the rotary but besides that I just wasn`t feeling it..prob just need some more hours behind the machine. Anyone totally switch over to d.a. and never go back to rotary

Post Thanks / Like

I cant imagine anyone doing that. Maybe if youre just doing more casual 1 steps with AIO`s, but anyone used to correction speed and power of a rotary wouldnt be able to stand a DA. Not to mention how much more beat up you feel after a day on the DA vs a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what I was thinking the first day I used the d.a.. I was doing a new silver Yukon with some decent scratches but nothing that shouldn`t come out. I was using a MF cutting pad and good 3m compound and the d.a. wasn`t touching them. By the time I was done I could have corrected and polished 2 s.u.v s with better results..I know that`s an isolated and specific case but wasn`t a good first impression of my new d.a.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I believe every machine has it`s place. That said I do like to challenge myself sometimes when I feel I have too much bias towards one machine. I like to keep my skill sharp in all, this one needed a ton of cut and I really wanted to see if the DA would/could like a rotor. I used the 21 on 90% of it, did it work? I`ll let you decide...

Detailers Workshop Vs Waterspots... THANKYOU JSMOOTH!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

He`ll ya it worked haha looks awesome! My plan is to sharpen my skills first on the gg6 and then step it up to a boss or a 3401 flex. Haven`t used either one but I`m sure there`s a good power difference.

Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    ... this one needed a ton of cut and I really wanted to see if the DA would/could like a rotor. I used the 21 on 90% of it, did it work? I`ll let you decide...
    Indeed it can! Maybe not as fast. I`ve used only PC style machines. It`s getting the results, just not very fast. Even used one to polish out some wet sanding. (Was testing some products and getting some practice).
    See here --> http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...tml?highlight=

Nice work on that car, The Driver!
    Likes The Driver liked this post
    Thanks The Driver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still use my harbor freight rotary that I`ve had for close to 5 years. I bought into the large throw da talks and picked up a rupes 15, but even my cheap rotary works better for me. Now I will say that my gg6 with 3 or 4 inch pads is my favorite machine to use. One day, I hope to step up to the pe machine but I just can`t justify the expense right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information