Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

80um and under on hood

Autopia we have a problem

This is the hood. PTG freshly calibrated (properly). Readings are 47-86um around the hood. Recalibrated. Same.

Roof hoovers around 95-104 um. (Not really concerned about roof so much though)

I thought 80 and below was some type of danger zone.

I have a Rupes Duetto + Nano and solid selection of polishes/pads (glazes)

Suggestions ?

Its pretty swirled too

Rest of car is going to be safe compounding. Already got a nice result on the a pillars with the Nano

I recall someone`s post showed like 7um removed for compounding.

What would You do with this hood?

I`m thinking essence. Then dodo nano (good light polish with filling combo) and i know they play well together...im on day 85or more now on my essence topper test.

Thanks

-Brandt K.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 80um and under on hood

Honestly, safer is always better. I would call the customer and inform them that the paint depth is very low and at this point it would be unsafe doing anything other than a very light polish (Even though this isn`t up for debate, your the detailer, you call the shots in this case). Anything below 80, I get VERY hesitant in using anything, even a mild polish, it`s probably the only time I want to use fillers IMO.

Good luck, your exactly on the mark with this!
    Likes Ronkh, 512detail, Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks 512detail, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Honestly, safer is always better. I would call the customer and inform them that the paint depth is very low and at this point it would be unsafe doing anything other than a very light polish (Even though this isn`t up for debate, your the detailer, you call the shots in this case). Anything below 80, I get VERY hesitant in using anything, even a mild polish, it`s probably the only time I want to use fillers IMO.

Good luck, your exactly on the mark with this!
    Spoke with customer he said he appreciates the heads up and that`s why he brought his car to me because he knows I`m super careful with these things.

Told him his options I even told him how much um I had removed with a one-step polish and a One Step compound on other areas of car and the risks in polishing the hood more than very finely.

I told him I would put about 10 coats of wax sealant and glaze on it as much as it took to look to my standards or if he wanted I would just clean it and coat it so he doesn`t have to worry about it getting any worse.

Which got me thinking how long a coating might last on top of a glaze.
    Hmm. Prolly pass there.

Essence via hand and soft wax pad is sounding pretty good about now. Couple layers of Dodo nano (which fills too)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know..maybe some of you would polish it...this really had me thinking about all the posts I see and how anyone deals with this? I`ve never seen anyone post on here about low readings and what to do..maybe I missed it..but I kind of have a feeling some of us might be leaving scary low numbers on our customers cars. Just a thought.

I think to myself what would I have done without this reader. I know it`s not absolute but it`s definitely a good base and I can tell you the hood on my Challenger reads 110-124 not 57 or 80.

Edit-grr.. its when i try to edit the post that im displaying this latent narcissim (thanking myself by accident - lol )

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Kamakazi artificial clear coat is what I would consider. Im tempted to start using it on my new vehicles.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

512detail- Glad to see this topic is getting some attention and that you`re being cautious.

When the clear`s too soft for significant correction, just don`t correct it. Bring up the gloss and protect it and be OK with the knowledge that you didn`t precipitate cc failure. Though Autopia is generally all about doing impressive correction and making things perfect, sometimes that`s just not feasible and honestly (IMO) most regular folks don`t really care about that so much anyhow.

I`d expect FK1000P to bond fine to whatever you decide to use, and that`d provide good durability and protection while looking "nice and shiny" in a way that`ll look impressive especially to non-Autopians who don`t obsess over minute diffs in LSP appearance. That`s the kind of approach I use on the `93 Audi that can`t be corrected, and to normal people it looks like some perfect showcar (to some Autopians it`d probably look like a "before picture", oh well).
    Thanks 512detail thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandt -
    Hope you got that sorted out...

Yeah, those low micron numbers are scary because as you remember, that number is the Total amount of thickness on that spot which includes primer, etc., so the actual paint is way way less...

I would have done what you did with the Client and perhaps used only a mild correcting glaze or something with probably L/C Hydro-Tech Tangerine, and try to not remove even 1/2 a micron... If I measured that much removed, I would have to stop...

Im thinking your plan with CarPro Essence sounds good; its like Sonax Perfect Finish, and leaves it smooth and glossy...

With total thickness readings that low, you just have to say NO to the Client wanting perfection - which is nice but what about next year when it`s all scratched up again???

This is where perhaps a good coating would be the only option...

Good Luck, Amigo !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Brandt -
    Hope you got that sorted out...

Yeah, those low micron numbers are scary because as you remember, that number is the Total amount of thickness on that spot which includes primer, etc., so the actual paint is way way less...

I would have done what you did with the Client and perhaps used only a mild correcting glaze or something with probably L/C Hydro-Tech Tangerine, and try to not remove even 1/2 a micron... If I measured that much removed, I would have to stop...

Im thinking your plan with CarPro Essence sounds good; its like Sonax Perfect Finish, and leaves it smooth and glossy...

With total thickness readings that low, you just have to say NO to the Client wanting perfection - which is nice but what about next year when it`s all scratched up again???

This is where perhaps a good coating would be the only option...

Good Luck, Amigo !
    Dan F
    Coating it even though swirled pretty well?

I considered it

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I would, after all, can`t correct it either way. It`s either tons of fillers with little protection or strong protection and more peace of mind. With so many user friendly coatings out there, it would not be an inconvenience and take a similar amount of time than doing a sealant so might as well do the long lasting protection.

Of course ensuring the client understands he still needs to maintain it.
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    I would, after all, can`t correct it either way. It`s either tons of fillers with little protection or strong protection and more peace of mind. With so many user friendly coatings out there, it would not be an inconvenience and take a similar amount of time than doing a sealant so might as well do the long lasting protection.

Of course ensuring the client understands he still needs to maintain it.
    Did an optimum paint prep wipe just to be double safe.
    Looks like early onset cc failure. Hard to photograph. Little patchy spots.

I went with essence via hand and lc crimson 4inch wax pad.

Going to pbl with pbl later today. Im way ahead of schedule since i took the day off of work today.

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

nano is killing it around the windows etc

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

And he said, let there be light...........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Lol
    Patience. We have some curing going on here

Hood pics (pbl v2)

How long until Synergy topper? 12 hrs? more?

Edit: I have the pick up around 5pm or so tomorrow.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post

The paint is not perfect but safe and looks pretty good. The hood though, under the led, up close looks like it has been failing for some time. Very wierd zig zag fading up close and probably in direct full sun too.

Brandt K.
    Likes The Driver, Stokdgs, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I don`t know..maybe some of you would polish it...this really had me thinking about all the posts I see and how anyone deals with this? I`ve never seen anyone post on here about low readings and what to do..maybe I missed it..but I kind of have a feeling some of us might be leaving scary low numbers on our customers cars. Just a thought.

I think to myself what would I have done without this reader. I know it`s not absolute but it`s definitely a good base and I can tell you the hood on my Challenger reads 110-124 not 57 or 80.

Edit-grr.. its when i try to edit the post that im displaying this latent narcissim (thanking myself by accident - lol )

This reinforces the purchase of a 200B advanced in my mind... ugh my wallet is going to hate me... seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information