Post Thanks / Like

product recommendation for pc7424xp and removing swirls in OC 2.0

I have a 2014 blue mustang that had the hood wet sanded and clear coated to fix a corrosion problem. I have a PC and I am looking to clean up my old opticoat from about 2 years ago and possibly apply whatever new coating I can layer on top. Will optiglass work ok for this? I dont need a perfect finish and good enough is good enough. The car has some swirls under some lighting. I wont be putting the car under any special lights to find everything and I am just trying to figure out what polish and pad combos would be aggressive enough to handle OC.

I had both megs MF pads of various sizes and some optimum pads as well as LC ccs pads of various colors. What pad and polish combo will help me dig into oc to remove these swirls? I assume this will be a 2 step polish process. What should I use to finish before adding optiglass coating? I do not need perfect results but I do need something aggressive enough to do the job. If I end up removing OC completely it matters not as I will be re coating with something.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: product recommendation for pc7424xp and removing swirls in OC 2.0

My personal favorite is Menzerma 400 to cut then Menzerma 3800 (4000) to finish. Use the Megs microfiber cutting pads with the 400 and that will cut through the OC. Finish with your choice of pads. The Megs microfiber finishing pad works fine or a LC finishing pad will do the job as well.
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Or the old standby, meguire 105 & 205. Works every time.

Post Thanks / Like

what is OC?

Post Thanks / Like

OC = Opticoat
    Which is what he wants to remove
    Likes ascarbo27 liked this post
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the condition of the paint after repainting and wet sanding??

If you dont really care how it looks after, then any polishing compound would work just as good and hopefully if you are experienced with your Porter Cable enough, it will be pretty shiny again with not as much work if you use an aggressive compound first...

Are you asking if you can use Opti-Glass on the paintwork ?? I have never heard of anyone doing that...
    Dan F
    Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have never heard of anyone doing that...
    Glad that Im not the only one that was thinking of that.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.
    Likes Stokdgs, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start again. I had corrosion on a aluminum hood near the headlight area that was taken care of by ford warranty. it was sent to a body shop and it looks like they spot repaired the area and re clear coated the whole hood. I assume they wet sanded before clear coating. The body shop did a ok job and I see no major defects on the hood. There is no telling what I will find then I wash the car. I have 2 year old opticoat 2.0 on the vehicle which I am not sure if much life is left if any at all. Its probably about gone as I get little beading or any signs of opticoat left. After correctly the car and of opticoat is left in some areas is it ok to top with opti gloss or another similar coating?

I was planning on trying fg400 for the correction process and than moving to m205 to finish on megs MF pads with a pc. After inspecting the paint its not too bad and I feel like I can remove most everything with maybe just m205 and make this easy on myself. I have used m105/205 a fair bit and have gotten good results.

1) Can i coat over opticoat with optigloss or a similar coating? Is an IPA wipe down enough before adding optigloss?

2) any issues following fg400 with 205?

3) Any other compounds I can pick up that come in smaller sizes than FG400s 32oz size? Id like to try a few different things.

3) If I do decide a 1 step is enough for me, what other choices besides 205 are available that will work decent with a DA polisher as a one step with mild correction abilities?

Sorry for the confusion. I dont need perfect paint on a daily driven car, but Id like a clean car that is mostly defect free to the human eye. Ive always been one to worry about removing too much clear on my personal vehicle. This vehicle has had one application of 205 before opticoat when it was new 2 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

furiousfrog- Welcome to Autopia!

I switched from M205 to HD Polish- better final finish and fewer issues related to Polishing Oils (M205 oils simply drove me nuts on some paints).

My go-to compound these days is M101.

Both M101 and HD Polish work fine by RO/DA/hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    furiousfrog- Welcome to Autopia!

I switched from M205 to HD Polish- better final finish and fewer issues related to Polishing Oils (M205 oils simply drove me nuts on some paints).

My go-to compound these days is M101.

Both M101 and HD Polish work fine by RO/DA/hand.

How does HD polish compare in cut to 205?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by furiousfrog View Post
    Let me start again. I had corrosion on a aluminum hood near the headlight area that was taken care of by ford warranty. it was sent to a body shop and it looks like they spot repaired the area and re clear coated the whole hood. I assume they wet sanded before clear coating. The body shop did a ok job and I see no major defects on the hood. There is no telling what I will find then I wash the car. I have 2 year old opticoat 2.0 on the vehicle which I am not sure if much life is left if any at all. Its probably about gone as I get little beading or any signs of opticoat left. After correctly the car and of opticoat is left in some areas is it ok to top with opti gloss or another similar coating?

I was planning on trying fg400 for the correction process and than moving to m205 to finish on megs MF pads with a pc. After inspecting the paint its not too bad and I feel like I can remove most everything with maybe just m205 and make this easy on myself. I have used m105/205 a fair bit and have gotten good results.

1) Can i coat over opticoat with optigloss or a similar coating? Is an IPA wipe down enough before adding optigloss?

2) any issues following fg400 with 205?

3) Any other compounds I can pick up that come in smaller sizes than FG400s 32oz size? Id like to try a few different things.

3) If I do decide a 1 step is enough for me, what other choices besides 205 are available that will work decent with a DA polisher as a one step with mild correction abilities?

Sorry for the confusion. I dont need perfect paint on a daily driven car, but Id like a clean car that is mostly defect free to the human eye. Ive always been one to worry about removing too much clear on my personal vehicle. This vehicle has had one application of 205 before opticoat when it was new 2 years ago.
    Autopia sells a nice 4oz. 4 bottle set of Poorboys SSR #1,2,2.5,& 3 work down the #s or pick 1 that works ??

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what it would take to completely remove the old coating. The 205 may suffice or you may have to use the 105 to completely remove the old coating. I would not apply a new coating over the existing coating, just too many variables involved. Use your IPA after final polishing and before coating. There is an 8 oz bottle of HD Cut that you can try out if the Menz 400 32 oz is too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Give the Meguiars Ultimate a shot. Super easy to work with, delivers great results, easy to obtain. Ill take Ultimate Compound over M105 whenever possible, and it works great with microfiber pads too. Ive always been able to get a lot of milage from Ultimate Polish in getting decent "clean up" of light swirls, to maxim gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by furiousfrog View Post
    How does HD polish compare in cut to 205?
    I cant really say as I dont expect my Finishing Polishes to do correction and I seldom use them for that. At least not enough to be able to compare the two. Sorry I cant give you a real anwer, my vehicles just dont get the kind of "light marring" that those polishes would/might correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. meguiars ultimate compound is something to try. After inspecting my paint closer my swirls are fairly heavy and ill just need to test to see what it takes. Thanks for all the advise. After wash today I dont think much opticoat is left anyways, I cant tell like I could 6 months ago.

Thanks

Thread Information