Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad recommended with SSR 2 and SSR 1

Had a good look at the car in the direct sunlight. Looks like the sides (vertical surfaces) of the car are the worst... Probably not enough weight/time with the polisher there....? In retrospect, I probably should of started on the sides!
    Gonna redo the sides with orange pad/SSR 2.5.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nailed it! Could of saved me a whole wack of time!
    Orange LC pad with SSR 2.5 at 1100 rpm... And it still needed a pretty good working over (in 85% sunlight? The black paint was pretty warm). Finished with SSR 1 and black pad at 1400rpm

Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes RaysWay, Poorboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2.5 + 1 = Beautiful
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes WuNgUn liked this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great .. perseverance provided great results
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

So... Washed the car yesterday, late afternoon. With the sun low and direct on the side of the car, lots of swirls were visible! Ugh!
    Question... Would swirls be visible from using only SSR 2.5 on orange pad? In other words, SSR 1 with black pad didn`t clean up the 2.5, either from me not working it enough and/or the black pad is too soft...?
    Or my SSR 1 is too old and ineffective....?
    Disappointed
    The hood/trunk/roof now look better than the sides, despite using only SSR 2 on white pad followed by SSR 1 on black (no swirls but some light scratches visible in direct sunlight) , which leads me to believe I didn`t work it well enough on the side of the car with the finish pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a guess bit aince its sides....you probably didn`t use enough pressure
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WuNgUn View Post
    Question... Would swirls be visible from using only SSR 2.5 on orange pad? In other words, SSR 1 with black pad didn`t clean up the 2.5, either from me not working it enough and/or the black pad is too soft...?
    IMO I do not like the combo of 2.5 and an orange pad unless there is severe swirls and scratches .. it will cause marring of its own with 2 abrasives (pad and product) I would have used either the white or black pad and then follow with SSR2 on a black pad ..

Or my SSR 1 is too old and ineffective....?
    is it yellow or pink?

The hood/trunk/roof now look better than the sides, despite using only SSR 2 on white pad followed by SSR 1 on black (no swirls but some light scratches visible in direct sunlight) , which leads me to believe I didn`t work it well enough on the side of the car with the finish pad.

you may have just missed the SSR2 step on the sides .. SSR2 does also finish off really well and the SSR1 might not be needed.

tip for next time .. tape off a bad section and experiment in that one spot until you have it the way you want.. then proceed through the rest of the car with the same technique

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I was on cell phone. Old fat fingers and no glasses.........

Since it was on the sides, I would guess that you didn`t work it with as much pressure or as long..... Just a guess, but I know it happens to me.

Post Thanks / Like

The product is still pink....
    I`m sure it`s my technique and not the SSR.
    My initial work of SSR 2/white, 1/black obviously didn`t remove the initial marring on the sides, and from there I made the mistake of going with 2.5 on orange. Pretty sure this must of removed original swirls, even if my pressure wasn`t correct....but introduced new marring from the pad (mostly). So I`m thinking I`m not working in the SSR 1 good enough (because it did clean up the top surfaces 99%, whether that was mostly due to the 2/white or working 1/black properly).
    I`ll mask off a couple of areas and work the SSR 1 on black and see if that cleans up. If I`m not happy with that I`ll try 2/white on the second masked off area and see if that makes me happy.
    Unfortunately I don`t have another black pad to try 2.0 with (I have no idea why I went with a green pad when picking my combo pack!). I do have a Porter Cable DA and a set of pads, however.

Thanks for the feedback!
    What rpm would you suggest with 1/black? I was around 3200 I believe. Is it safe to go a little higher, as it`s not easy getting the pressure against the side of the car....

Post Thanks / Like

The product is still pink....

whoa .. that`s some old stuff .. but if it still looks good.. go for it !!

I`m sure it`s my technique and not the SSR.
    it`s always an adventure to find the right combo of pad, product, machine and machine speed .. most finishes are different and take a trial and error approach

My initial work of SSR 2/white, 1/black obviously didn`t remove the initial marring on the sides, and from there I made the mistake of going with 2.5 on orange. Pretty sure this must of removed original swirls, even if my pressure wasn`t correct....but introduced new marring from the pad (mostly). So I`m thinking I`m not working in the SSR 1 good enough (because it did clean up the top surfaces 99%, whether that was mostly due to the 2/white or working 1/black properly).
    I`ll mask off a couple of areas and work the SSR 1 on black and see if that cleans up. If I`m not happy with that I`ll try 2/white on the second masked off area and see if that makes me happy.
    Unfortunately I don`t have another black pad to try 2.0 with (I have no idea why I went with a green pad when picking my combo pack!). I do have a Porter Cable DA and a set of pads, however.

What rpm would you suggest with 1/black? I was around 3200 I believe. Is it safe to go a little higher, as it`s not easy getting the pressure against the side of the car....
    You seem to have thought this through now and have a good idea how to accomplish your goals .. You can always clean your black pad between steps .....
    I think you can easily go a bit higher especially on the sides where you are not get as much pressure....

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I finally got to the point where I`m satisfied with the cars finish.
    Went over the trouble spots with SSR 2 and white pad at 2000rpm.
    Finished with SSR 1/black at 2400rpm.
    I noticed in one section I kinda worked the SSR 1 too long or spread out the product too thin and ended up holograming the paint! I wonder if I did this initially...? Oh well...
    Used lots of SSR this time and worked it!

Post Thanks / Like

Pics?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll try to get some this weekend...

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit! Dammit!
    Well, my perfect finish in now, not perfect. Just washed the car and now I see lots of swirls.
    Obviously from my wash mitt or my drying process.
    I use a piece of lambs wool as a wash mitt (suspect) and a synthetic chamois and waffle weave MF for drying.
    Lamb`s wool I`ve used before without issue and it does a great job holding water and suds.
    It`s upholstery quality (aircraft) and supremely soft, like rabbit fur. I think I`m going to stop using it, however, seeing as a wool polishing pad has a lot of cutting power to it.
    Dammit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information