Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with my first PTG readings

Brandt !!!

Please change the reading to Microns ------
    1 Mil = 25.4 Microns...

Microns is much more sensitive to change than Mils is because, remember 1 Mil = 25.4 Microns....

I only use mine in Microns and if I start to lose a little bit of 1 micron, I know I need to stop...

Its all about saving the paint and finding areas that had bodywork and repaint, which will always be much higher...

P.S. - Besides, its much easier to not have to do the math in your head converting Mils to Microns, no ???

Dan F
    Likes mjlinane, 512detail liked this post
    Thanks 512detail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Below 4 mils.

Note - totally agree with Dan. As it should be.
    Likes 512detail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Brandt !!!

Please change the reading to Microns ------
    1 Mil = 25.4 Microns...

Microns is much more sensitive to change than Mils is because, remember 1 Mil = 25.4 Microns....

I only use mine in Microns and if I start to lose a little bit of 1 micron, I know I need to stop...

Its all about saving the paint and finding areas that had bodywork and repaint, which will always be much higher...

P.S. - Besides, its much easier to not have to do the math in your head converting Mils to Microns, no ???

Dan F
    Dan I am actually reading the thread
    Report and pics showng how much clearcoat is removed during machine polishing
    and took note of the same msg from you on there as well..guess I will just do some math on the readings and adjust

totally agree MICRONs it is.. yes 25 multipled by any number actually has a mathematical trick to it (yea im a nerd I went to college on a Number Sense UIL scholarship- haha)

thanks

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt -
    Im really so glad you Are a math nerd - we all need one !!!
    What a great help you have been and will always be to us !!!
    I am so grateful for your talent with numbers !

Ok, you are set !!!
    You have the equipment -
    You have the attitude -
    You have the skillset -

Its a beautiful car - you are going to Kill It !!!
    Dan F
    Thanks 512detail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Brandt -
    Im really so glad you Are a math nerd - we all need one !!!
    What a great help you have been and will always be to us !!!
    I am so grateful for your talent with numbers !

Ok, you are set !!!
    You have the equipment -
    You have the attitude -
    You have the skillset -

Its a beautiful car - you are going to Kill It !!!
    Dan F
    thanks for the kind words Dan but most of my math knowledge is not super useful in the real world unfortunately

im eager to get out of this office and into my other office (garage)...need to pick up some halogen bulbs and going to try out one of those 3000 lumens LED lights until I can get everything properly ordered to make my own swirl finder light like in the thread Zach M started.

my brinkman decided to die on me and it cant be fixed...bad timing I suppose

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

also this is a club member and even though I offer deep discounts to club members because I`d rather they trust who they send their car to...he chose to bypass the local guy other members have used and trust me..which I really respect

he said "I`ve seen your car..its much older than mine..and it looks MUCH better than the BRAND new ones I`ve seen..i`d rather trust you and have my money stay in the club than send it to a guy who doesn`t take his time to explain everything to us on the forum"

and that really meant a lot to me

I`m still very young in my trek to become professional grade...but building positive, long lasting relationships with clients is one of my favorite aspects of detailing

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    also this is a club member and even though I offer deep discounts to club members because I`d rather they trust who they send their car to...he chose to bypass the local guy other members have used and trust me..which I really respect

he said "I`ve seen your car..its much older than mine..and it looks MUCH better than the BRAND new ones I`ve seen..i`d rather trust you and have my money stay in the club than send it to a guy who doesn`t take his time to explain everything to us on the forum"

and that really meant a lot to me

I`m still very young in my trek to become professional grade...but building positive, long lasting relationships with clients is one of my favorite aspects of detailing
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ YES !!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

This black is a nightmare

Uhs pad was as deep as i wanted to go after testing numerous spots on the black roof and hood area.

uhs system + essence on rupes yellow foam pad....still not autopia quality IMHO

Anywhere from 125 to 137 mil readings left but man i wouldn`t feel comfortable going any deeper and subsequently i dont think coating the black is a good idea.

I think I`m going to call him and see if he wants to switch 2 black ice over fire.

making due with crappy light setup till dark.. needed to get my several tests spots in on both different colors and pull into the sun before it sets.

before

Adapt and tangerine hydrotech pad slowly applied is working well. I can go deeper but uhs setup compared to this 50/50 left me in 117-122 mil #s. I dont want this new to them car that low.

I just don`t think the black will look good once it`s coated.. it needs glaze sealant and wax to fill... maybe even black hole and several layers of ex then nattys black

I know it`s more effort and I`m going to charge him less than I would for the initial quote but I think it`s the best decision considering all the factors.

I had already discussed this potential possibility with him and he was okay with that he gave me x max dollars he was willing to spend and I gave him several options at and under that range.

Plus I think with the money he`ll save I could talk him into placing an order for some real towels and a few other essentials he would need to keep this pumpkin pretty.

I`m going to do a couple more tests on the orange and then decide and give him a call.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m just afraid the black would look to swirled once the coating gets added.... I`d like the sacrificial layer idea on top of the low mil readings but I`m just not sure.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I see you have been doing your homework and putting some serious thought into this.

I`ll echo the previous stated comment about microns being a much more helpful unit of measure.

It depends on the goals for your vehicle, and not being more aggressive than you have to be.

Now enough analysis! Get out there and use your new found knowledge!

Edit- I see you snuck in a post while I was replying.
    I`d agree with you- try a glaze or a nice sealant/wax combo. I`m sure the owner will appreciate your caution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    I see you have been doing your homework and putting some serious thought into this.

I`ll echo the previous stated comment about microns being a much more helpful unit of measure.

It depends on the goals for your vehicle, and not being more aggressive than you have to be.

Now enough analysis! Get out there and use your new found knowledge!
    Yeah I tend to overthink things and I think that`s what I enjoy about doing this there`s so many combinations and variables everything is like some crazy equation... and the end result is aesthetically pleasing. I really enjoy that.

I`m glad I read that entire thread earlier about the Micron readings after cutting into the clear... all of the replies were essentially things I was wondering and needed more information on anyways.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably do it good with the Hydro-Shred-Cyan Pad...
    As you know, its more aggressive and still finishes down really nice...
    I use them all the time with a Rotary, of course, and I can pretty much take anything out with that combo...
    Have a load of Tangerine Hydro-Shreds as well, and they are never the 1st choice for me, but may come back afterwards if I cant get it all perfect with the Cyan...

It turned out great !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW - 120um is pretty healthy paint. Compounding even with a MF pad will probably only take off a um or 2.
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know it`s too late for this one but next time, this might help you get some defects toned down if you are not going to remove them...
    Amazon.com: Chemical Guys GAP11116 Extreme Shine EZ Creme Glaze - 16 oz.: Automotive
    It`s also on their website but I dont know the cost of it there + shipping....
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

CG`s Glossworkz Glaze is quite good, too. Review: CG Glossworkz Glaze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information