Post Thanks / Like

Best setup to detail metallic paint?

Hi everyone, new to the forums and glad to be here!

I have never used a machine to detail any of my cars before and in need of advice as to which polisher and products to remove swirls from incorrectly washing my 2015 Ford Fiesta ST Molten-Orange paint as well as my wife`s 2014 Nautical Blue Metallic Scion xD.

So far from what I`ve read, the consensus seems to be with the 6" Griots DA machine, although I was also considering the Porter Cable 7424xp or Torq 10x. How does the Griots compare? Also, I`ve read where people have suggested to use 5.5" pads with a 5" backing plate? Why would they suggest down-sizing to a smaller pad instead of using the 6" that comes with the Griots?

I`ve been using Chemical Guys/Smartwax products for over a year and applying them manually with hand applicator pads - mainly Smart One, Black Light, Blitz Sealant, and Speed Wipe Quick Detail. I haven`t tried any of the Blackfire or other products. Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated...thanks in advance.

-Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best setup to detail metallic paint?

Welcome to the forum! I can`t speak to the Griots machine as I have never used one. I have a 7424xp and it handles everything I need it to do. I`m no professional, just a weekend guy only doing my own car along with some family/friends. There are so many product choices and everybody has their preferences. I would recommend megs 105 or 205. Depending on the extent of the damage to the paint, 205 would work for lighter swirling and 105 would be used for heavier stuff. Im sure many on here would agree that not only do they both work well but they are available at local parts stores, at least near me. I have also heard good things about the ultimate compound and ultimate polish but have never used either. Start with the least aggressive combo of polish/pad and go from there.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Forum, Richard -
    Glad you are here and have some great questions for us -

Regarding going to the smaller diameter 5" Backing Plate and pads is because the random orbital machines you mention will be easier to control with the 5" set up than the big 6" set up that comes with the machine..

When you get ready to start learning how to use a machine, you will find that the smaller diameter kit is also easier to keep track of what you are doing than a bigger pad combination... The bigger pad combo`s also require you to use much more down force and then the corresponding larger amount of control to keep it all doing what its supposed to be doing..

The biggest thing you want with a Random Orbital machine is Pad Rotation - plain and simple -
    You need pad rotation to break down the product and work it into the paint to further clean it and removed the defects on the top clear coat, then burnish down to polish and refine the gloss...

Some machines have bigger motors and perhaps give you more pad rotation as a result. This is why there are so many choices today... Its almost mind boggling..

I like to keep it simple and just use a Makita 9227C Rotary and have all the pad rotation I will ever need..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The PC was the standard for years and a real fine machine. Many new detailer shave gone to the GG 6 due to a larger motor and an outstanding warranty. Truth is you can`t go wrong with either machine. Welcome and happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I will continue to read throughout the forum and try to learn as much as I can as this is still relatively new to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I have both machines. Both work fine, and should suit your needs. If I would not have picked up the Griot`s during a sale, I`d still be using the Porter Cable. In fact, I actually still use it. It`s nice having two machines. One can be set up with a smaller pad (3" as an example) or even kept with the 5.5" and used for the LSP (wax or whatever)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

It is good to try different wax/sealant products since some look better than others on a specific paint. On metallics, WG Deep Paint Sealant has clarity and bling.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Thread Information