Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New polisher quandry.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post

Was sorta hoping for a definitive answer from you......... (respected opinion)
    I can give you my $.02.

The new Mark II really is more powerful and I feel it will solve all the stalling issues some users were having with the original. I can run it at speed 3 all day long and it won`t stall on me. It`s very smooth and not as high pitch sounding as the older tool, but I don`t necessary feel it`s any more "smoother" the the original. The speed control is very linear though and the new rubber stop on the back is great.

While the BOSS may be slightly out gunned in power now it still has many features I prefer over the Rupes, and it just "feels" better in my hands. It`s ergonomics simply work better for me, I can`t stand slow start features like the Rupes has, the BOSS trigger is variable (albeit not as good as a rotary), I love the rubber grips, and the quick access brushes should be standard on any tool. I don`t really consider warranty a factor but I know it matters to a lot of users. I do dislike seeing some of the failures online since it`s release but all 3 of my tools are still working perfectly, 2 of them after 16 months now. You can also find a post for any tool with some kind of complain or failure, though to my knowledge the Rupes ones have all been pretty minor dealing with cords and speed controls. With the polishers on the paint (Mark I and BOSS), I found the difference in smoothness between the 2 negligible, others may agree or disagree but that was what I felt and also what my wife and buddy who doesn`t detail felt when I let them compare the 2 sets of tools.

The new Flex is intriguing, but probably not one I`ll consider trying at this time as my Rupes and BOSS tools already do the same thing. For that reason and the fact that I haven`t used or even held the new Flex I can really only give opinion based on other Flex tools I`ve owned. While it was a very solid machine, I ended up disliking my 3401, which is why I sold it after 18 months, but I absolutely love my PE14 rotary and you couldn`t pry it out of my hands if you tired! I would expect the new Flex DA to be just as solid as their other tools and the compact, lightweight design is a definite plus. If the power is there I think it should be a serious consideration for anyone looking at a 15mm tool. If you use and own the 3401 it should also feel right at home in your hands...I know it`s briefly awkward for me switching between the Rupes and BOSS so that`s something to consider too.

Hope that helps.

Rasky
    Likes Ronkh, jsou, tropicsteve, Migue, Troy@Protekt and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am following this thread as I really want to upgrade my polisher. I just need to stop buying products, and put my money towards one. Interesting to see opinions on the plethora of options now available.

Ron, why not just sell one Flex and buy a MarkII and the iBrid. That way you are well rounded in the DA polisher dept.

SIDE NOTE: That is if you don`t necessarily have must have purpose for both 3401`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

While the BOSS may be slightly out gunned in power now it still has many features I prefer over the Rupes, and it just "feels" better in my hands. It`s ergonomics simply work better for me, I can`t stand slow start features like the Rupes has, the BOSS trigger is variable (albeit not as good as a rotary), I love the rubber grips, and the quick access brushes should be standard on any tool. I don`t really consider warranty a factor but I know it matters to a lot of users. I do dislike seeing some of the failures online since it`s release but all 3 of my tools are still working perfectly, 2 of them after 16 months now. You can also find a post for any tool with some kind of complain or failure, though to my knowledge the Rupes ones have all been pretty minor dealing with cords and speed controls. With the polishers on the paint (Mark I and BOSS), I found the difference in smoothness between the 2 negligible, others may agree or disagree but that was what I felt and also what my wife and buddy who doesn`t detail felt when I let them compare the 2 sets of tools.

Rasky
    hey rasky, curious on which BOSS polishers you have, g21 or g15? or both? is your g21 wielding a 5" backing plate by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

The solution for your problem.

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    hey rasky, curious on which BOSS polishers you have, g21 or g15? or both? is your g21 wielding a 5" backing plate by chance?
    I have (2) G21`s and a G15. I picked up the 2nd G21 so I could have it set up with the 5" BP. The other 2 tools were the test mules from Griot`s.
    Likes donbeezy liked this post
    Thanks donbeezy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autopia View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I have (2) G21`s and a G15. I picked up the 2nd G21 so I could have it set up with the 5" BP. The other 2 tools were the test mules from Griot`s.
    i find my g21 w/ 5" bp set up has much more vibration then a rupes 15 mark 2. not sure if the 5" bp plays a big part of that or not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    i find my g21 w/ 5" bp set up has much more vibration then a rupes 15 mark 2. not sure if the 5" bp plays a big part of that or not
    Any change in BP or pad weight can offset the balance and it will depend on what pads you`re using. I rarely use my 5" set up but definitely feel it`s not as smooth as it is with the 6" plate. I never compared it to my 21mm Mark II as my 5" Rupes plate is not compatible with the MKII and need to order a new one. :/

I feel the 15mm machines are smoother in general.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

what ever happened to Festool?
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    what ever happened to Festool?
    For some reason I bounced that idea over 7 years ago. But I`ll be darned if I remember why...........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul@Autopia View Post
    The solution for your problem.

Well I got those gift certs on sale a while back, jut for this occasion...........................
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Paul@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    I am following this thread as I really want to upgrade my polisher. I just need to stop buying products, and put my money towards one. Interesting to see opinions on the plethora of options now available.

Ron, why not just sell one Flex and buy a MarkII and the iBrid. That way you are well rounded in the DA polisher dept.

SIDE NOTE: That is if you don`t necessarily have must have purpose for both 3401`s.
    I was gonna throw a 3" back plate on it and hopefully get rid of jiggle machine, but I should anyway since I have rupes mini, but got tooooooo many pads to ditch it

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Did you start this entire thread to lead up to how you`re going to purchase that now? New polisher quandry.......

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Did you start this entire thread to lead up to how you`re going to purchase that now? New polisher quandry.......
    No.... I hit the polisher page and saw it again..................

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information