Post Thanks / Like

SMAT polish on hard VW paint

Hi there.
    First off, this is not a "need" situation. Purely from a desire to try out new stuff.

When polishing out my wife`s Acura, M205 and a white Hybrid on a 3401 corrects and finishes like a boss. However, using that combo on my VW is an exercise in futility. Have to break out Menz SIP1500 and SF3500/4000.

Does anyone make a SMAT polish that can tackle VW`s super hard clear? 3D Polish or 502? Hyper Polish? Or am I stuck with good old Menzerna? Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I really like the long buffing cycle of SMAT polishes. And I like trying out new stuff, because, well.....uuhhhh......yeah, you guys get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SMAT polish on hard VW paint

Megs M100 or M101.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you compounded your car at all before? If not I would look into M100, M101 or ultimate compound. Possibly even D300 with the Meguiar`s microfiber cutting disk.

What is your maintenance wash routine?

You could try using ultimate compound on a polishing pad as well. More aggressive than M205. I`m not sure how well M205 on a microfiber finishing disk (Kevin Brown`s method) would perform on the flex.

These are just some options for you. Hope it helps.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Being "stuck" with Menzerna compounds is not ever a bad thing - since they invented compounds for German car paint for decades that were even used on the Assembly Lines of German cars...

Their compounds are also very versatile and looking at the chart, they have all levels of cut and gloss...

Im pretty sure their research and development people are light years ahead of anything else out there today, when you think about how much longer they have been doing this..

And yes, one can say that with the new computers today, the ramp up time to get a new product out there that the computer says will do this and that really well evens out the playing field, and perhaps it might... But still, there is something to be said about decades over decades of actual hands on experience with product and paintwork that is hard to ignore...

I cant think of a time I have ever seen a badly compounded from the factory Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, or Volkswagen - regardless of where they are being built today...
    Dan F
    Likes Detail Impressions liked this post
    Thanks Wolfster thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I`ve not needed to compound the paint, because the vehicle is fairly new and in good shape. Just a polish for small webs and water spots. The highest octane I`ve used, was the SIP1500...

Thx for the reassurance about Menzerna, Stokdgs. So far, I`ve been happy with their stuff...just wanted to try something "new".

I`ve got some UC and D300. Doesn`t hurt to see how they do, and finish out. The SIP1500 finished perfect.

Thx everyone.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

I`ve not needed to compound the paint, because the vehicle is fairly new and in good shape. Just a polish for small webs and water spots. The highest octane I`ve used, was the SIP1500...

Thx for the reassurance about Menzerna, Stokdgs. So far, I`ve been happy with their stuff...just wanted to try something "new".

I`ve got some UC and D300. Doesn`t hurt to see how they do, and finish out. The SIP1500 finished perfect.

Thx everyone.
    I have also used Optimum Hyper-Polish very successfully on several different paints and it absolutely rocks until you stop and let it burnish the result of the correction phase.

It also kills any Acura paintwork very quickly, leaving great clarity and gloss..

And so easy to use; I hate that spray bottle so I just shake it well and pour some into a smaller bottle with a tip that I just squeeze to get it out with..

Just mind that it will continue working until you ease off the pressure... This is perhaps more critical to me since I only use Rotary Power...

Dan F
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

M205 can tackle hard VW/Audi paint. Here`s a S5 I did yesterday with m205 and a rupes yellow pad. It`s not going to be anywhere near the correction as an acura, but 4 slow passes got me to 80%+

Likes mjlinane, The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information