Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick and easy process for an exterior detail?

Quote Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
    ... but does anyone have another similar chart or perhaps some kind of database on what polishes and compounds work best on the various OEM paints? For example, say I have a 2005 Chevy malibu. It would be really handy just to consult the chart on what to use on that car. Then I get a 2001 honda accord, and its different. If that information was anywhere, I figure it would be here.
    Sorry, but such a database doesn`t exist. The quickest answer to the "why" is that paint changes with too much frequency for anybody to be able to update any such database. For example: It`s been noted that the paint type (even if it`s the same color) has been changed midway through an assembly line. So, paint for a car, even the same make and model, might have different paint from one car to the next.

Given the information I`ve been reading, your target audience, and your overall goals, I would suggest something like HD Speed with either a medium cut pad, or a heavy polish pad. You might be able to get away without using a final wax over that, since it has one built into it. You would still want to give it a good wash and decontamination first.

It doesn`t sound like you want show car results with great paint finish; but more of a quick, shines-better-than-before type result.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    HD Adapt is a polishing compound. Not necessarily an all in one as it leaves no protection behind. All in one`s tend to be a cleaner wax type of product that leaves something behind. HD Speed gets rave reviews. You can use something like that. It`s an all in one that leaves protection behind. You could follow up with either HD Poxy (HD Speed is a mix of HD Polish & Poxy) or 3D Express Spray wax for a quick detail.

If you go the HD Adapt route you can use any wax that you choose.

In regards to your question about the difference between Adapt and Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Compound will have more cut. A polish may or may not be needed depending on if the surface has some marring after compounding.

Are you doing this by hand or machine?
    Are you looking to do this by hand or machine?
    AIO wasn`t a good choice of words on my part. Meant in terms of cut and finish ability, it`s versatile enough to be a one step fine polish and swirl remover. If you want a super simple and versatile one one step polish, Adapt is great. Not terribly expensive, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, everyone`s paint is in different condition. With that said, do you have any pictures of the car and close ups of the paint?

My car for example never shined the way I wanted (at first) simply because the reflections were too blurry for my taste due to a distortion caused by the uneven/textured clear coat (Orange Peel) so for me my process was very involved to get that perfect shine. I spent over 100 hours diligently compounding/polishing the clear coat to be as flat as possible (most people would wet sand but I lacked the skill and knowledge at the time).

In short I understand your goal but I don`t know the condition of the paint in order to make a recommendation.

Process I used to get to my goal (excluding wheels, interior, and under the hood):
    1. Pressure rinse
    2. Two bucket wash
    3. Pressure rinse
    4. Iron and tar decontamination
    5. Pressure rinse
    6. Clay bar & clay alternative
    7. Foam canon / foam gun, press rinse, and dry
    8. Inspect paint and take note of areas that are in need of more correction
    7. Tape off one panel (I like to work panel by panel as I don`t want to rush myself)
    8. Compound using an Orange Peel removal pad (one panel at a time, doing 6-12 overlapping passes)
    9. Gently wipe and inspect the panel frequently and work on that panel until your satisfied with the level of correction
    10. Waterless wash the panel and dry
    11. Polish the panel using a slower speed and less passes
    12. Use a paint cleaner to remove any oils that may have been left behind by the polish
    13. Final inspection of the panel under strong halogen lights to ensure satisfaction
    14. Protect the paint with a LSP that meets your needs (Wax/Sealant/Coating/etc)

I did one panel a week and skipped steps 1-6 for subsequent panels unless decontamination was needed again. For subsequent panels I even just waterless washed as I knew it was decontaminated very recently...
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

bennylava- The vehicles I`ve reconditioned with such "gee, I want to buy that!" results *did* get some pretty serious attention, but just not to the degree that I think of as "Autopian". I.e., I`d correct with both a compound and a polish, but I wouldn`t try for the best results attainable (that being determined by how much clear I could safely remove). Rather, I`d just try to eliminate all the *obvious* marring and make things look really clean and shiny.

The non-Autopian car enthusiast (let alone the average used-car buyer) isn`t on the Autopian wavelength. The degree of perfection we`re always going on about here simply goes right over their heads.

But in almost all cases you will need both a compound and a polish, then a Last Step Product. The "just an AIO" approach would only be sufficient on...gee, I can`t think of an example as IMO most new cars in showrooms need more than that.

And IME people like to see everything *clean*. Those clean wells/jambs/engine compartments/undercarriages give the impression that the vehicle has never been neglected. It will probably be the *only* time the buyer ever looks at some of those areas, and you`ll have to point them out, but it`s that one time that it`ll matter. Actually, I`ve received a lot more compliments for having spotless doorjambs that I have for having utterly perfect (i.e., marring-free) paint. And those compliments are usually followed by "I can tell you`ve always taken great care of this car". That`s the kind of thing that reassures buyers.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies everyone. You`ve all been a great help and its all very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    bennylava- The vehicles I`ve reconditioned with such "gee, I want to buy that!" results *did* get some pretty serious attention, but just not to the degree that I think of as "Autopian". I.e., I`d correct with both a compound and a polish, but I wouldn`t try for the best results attainable (that being determined by how much clear I could safely remove). Rather, I`d just try to eliminate all the *obvious* marring and make things look really clean and shiny.
    So perhaps for my purposes, the clay bar-ing can be skipped? Which is actually another question I wanted to get to. If you compound, and then polish a car, aren`t you just going to knock all those contaminants flat anyway? I mean they`re not going to be gone, but they`ll have to be flat... right? Which would still contribute to a better looking car than before.

The non-Autopian car enthusiast (let alone the average used-car buyer) isn`t on the Autopian wavelength. The degree of perfection we`re always going on about here simply goes right over their heads.
    This right here is the only reason I really even think that I can get away with doing it the quick "dealership" or "cheap detail shop" way. The fact that they just want to see a clean, shiny car. They wouldn`t even know what to look for when it comes to the way people around here would have it. If I can get the paint to really shine and be really reflective, the car has a much higher chance to sell immediately and I don`t have to meet with near as many people. But so many of the cars that I get, don`t really shine up much, after just a good wash. You can tell they need more to really show that their paint is still good and not faded.

And IME people like to see everything *clean*. Those clean wells/jambs/engine compartments/undercarriages give the impression that the vehicle has never been neglected. It will probably be the *only* time the buyer ever looks at some of those areas, and you`ll have to point them out, but it`s that one time that it`ll matter. Actually, I`ve received a lot more compliments for having spotless doorjambs that I have for having utterly perfect (i.e., marring-free) paint. And those compliments are usually followed by "I can tell you`ve always taken great care of this car". That`s the kind of thing that reassures buyers.
    You seem to know this aspect quite well. That`s all really important. You`re basically giving the impression that - This right here, is a damn fine automobile. I mean just look at it. Look how clean it is. There are people out there in the world who take great care of their cars, and this one must have been owned by one of them! The other thoughts that might cross their minds is "Well this car just really hasn`t seen much use comparatively..." or "Well it doesn`t look like they had any kids..." stuff like that. All very good thoughts to convey.

Post Thanks / Like

So perhaps for my purposes, the clay bar-ing can be skipped? Which is actually another question I wanted to get to. If you compound, and then polish a car, aren`t you just going to knock all those contaminants flat anyway? I mean they`re not going to be gone, but they`ll have to be flat... right? Which would still contribute to a better looking car than before.
    One potential problem with skipping decontamination is that some of that stuff can get caught in the polisher`s pad and cause new marring. I`d lean towards doing the Chemical Decontamination (e.g., VlauGard`s "ABC" system, which is just a series of three washes) and let that be sufficient. And that`s only when a decontamination is really necessary for what *you* are talking about.

Warning, Autopian Heresy follows: Ya know, we kept cars awfully nice before they came out with detailing clay

(Not hating on clay, I like/use/recommend it. But not for everybody every time.)

so many of the cars that I get, don`t really shine up much, after just a good wash. You can tell they need more to really show that their paint is still good and not faded.
    And that polishing that shines `em up will also remove the worst of the marring = nice (enough) looking car without going overboard.

You seem to know this aspect quite well. That`s all really important. You`re basically giving the impression that - This right here, is a damn fine automobile. I mean just look at it. Look how clean it is. There are people out there in the world who take great care of their cars, and this one must have been owned by one of them! The other thoughts that might cross their minds is "Well this car just really hasn`t seen much use comparatively..." or "Well it doesn`t look like they had any kids..." stuff like that. All very good thoughts to convey.
    You seem to have gotten my point exactly!

BTW, I had a small used-car dealership back in the day, and found that doing stuff to *my* satisfaction just wasn`t necessary (nor a good use of resources).

And over the last 40 years or so it`s been interesting to see what people do/don`t compliment on my cars. The whole "it`s just so clean!" thing seems to be the biggie.

Heh heh, an example related to the "no kids"/etc. - I sold my (metallic black/light gray) Yukon *daily dog-hauler* to a dealer I know after just washing it for a year or so (no "real detailing") and he simply pulled it into his showroom, did *zero* additional prep. Nothing. A couple showed up to buy a Land Rover, but bought the Yukon instead because "it was just like new" (he would`ve rather sold them the LR ). They called him back later to say how happy they are with it too, not like it ended up smelling "doggy" or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, an example related to the "no kids"/etc. - I sold my (metallic black/light gray) Yukon *daily dog-hauler* to a dealer I know after just washing it for a year or so (no "real detailing") and he simply pulled it into his showroom, did *zero* additional prep. Nothing. A couple showed up to buy a Land Rover, but bought the Yukon instead because "it was just like new" (he would`ve rather sold them the LR ). They called him back later to say how happy they are with it too, not like it ended up smelling "doggy" or anything.
    Now *that* speaks to Accumulator`s process/results. Perfect example, sir.

I wonder if I should just send the OP a sample of Malco`s Cherry Wax (liquid) to try out on a just-washed car. More heresy follows: Wash a car, as clean as possible, but without being Autopian about it. Follow it up with Malco`s, and see if he`s happy with the results. Why Malco? Three reasons:
    1) It`s super cheap to buy
    2) It`s extremely user friendly, with easy on and easy off. (Haven`t tried it on trim, and wouldn`t suggest it at this time).
    3) It does a bit to improve the looks (or shine) of your Average Joe`s car.
    4) My math is terrible, so I`m going with four instead of three
    -- 4) It will last at least two weeks.
    ----- edit: two weeks of Sunny So Cal weather
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add my 2 cents. I think you could get away with, on 75 percent of cars brought to you to sell, 1. Wash, and I mean wash with a combo of APC (all purpose cleaner) and a decent car wash product (there are numerous) 2. An AOI. That`s it. If the car looks too dirty to sell, just wash it again, this time use a car wash product with something to help add shine (ex. Carnuba). Trying to get your cars up to Autopian standards or even new car standards would kill your bottom line. Let the customer decide how they want their new car to look. 99 percent of car buyers just want good honest transportation. Now if you are selling High dollar collectible cars then that is a whole different ball of wax. Good luck and you are on the right forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Now *that* speaks to Accumulator`s process/results. Perfect example, sir.

I wonder if I should just send the OP a sample of Malco`s Cherry Wax (liquid) to try out on a just-washed car. More heresy follows: Wash a car, as clean as possible, but without being Autopian about it. Follow it up with Malco`s, and see if he`s happy with the results. Why Malco? Three reasons:
    1) It`s super cheap to buy
    2) It`s extremely user friendly, with easy on and easy off. (Haven`t tried it on trim, and wouldn`t suggest it at this time).
    3) It does a bit to improve the looks (or shine) of your Average Joe`s car.
    4) My math is terrible, so I`m going with four instead of three
    -- 4) It will last at least two weeks.
    ----- edit: two weeks of Sunny So Cal weather
    I would love that. You never know, just might turn out to be all I need. I really don`t need a finish that is all that durable. If they have high standards with their car car (perhaps like some people around here) then they`re probably going to take over with their own methods anyway. If they don`t, then they`re not going to care if that high shine is gone in a couple weeks. They`ll just start washing it at the drive thru car wash when it gets dirty enough that it would be embarrassing not to wash it.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I would like to add my 2 cents. I think you could get away with, on 75 percent of cars brought to you to sell, 1. Wash, and I mean wash with a combo of APC (all purpose cleaner) and a decent car wash product (there are numerous) 2. An AOI. That`s it. If the car looks too dirty to sell, just wash it again, this time use a car wash product with something to help add shine (ex. Carnuba). Trying to get your cars up to Autopian standards or even new car standards would kill your bottom line. Let the customer decide how they want their new car to look. 99 percent of car buyers just want good honest transportation. Now if you are selling High dollar collectible cars then that is a whole different ball of wax. Good luck and you are on the right forum!
    Thanks! Yeah most people really are just wanting good reliable transportation. But if it shines, they jump on it like a dog on a bone. And I`ve been noticing that some of the older cars I`ve been getting, are just pretty lacking in the shine department. Such as this 01 accord I have now. It really sells a car, just like Accumulator was saying. They get this idea in their heads that it must be a great car. And when dealing with used cars, convincing the customer that this is a good car that is not going to crap out on them, is about 90% of your task. At least in my experience. They come to me wanting the car I have, but are very *very* concerned about its reliability. And rightly so. Something about a car that is real darn shiny and clean; it does that convincing for you.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this thread keeps on going !! Love it !!!

Benny Lava -

You are flipping cars....

Just get some Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme.. Here -- Meguiars Paint Reconditioning Cream D151

It will give you a reasonable cut and correction, and shine pretty darn good, leaving a little polymer wax on the top...
    This takes 1 or more steps out of your Reconditioning process..

Once I had to do some big white vans for a roofing company that had stickers on them (that I had to remove) and had never been detailed in their lives..
    I used this product on my Makita and they turned out beautiful, white, glossy, no swirls, holograms, clean inside, and they sold all 3 of them the very next day..

If you are all about production, then this or things like this is where you need to be looking at..

As you get more experience with the machine/s, you will make them look even better and you will be faster..
    But you have to put your head down and do the work... Watch the work.... No distractions... Learn from each time you are out there...

You got this !!!
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

There is really nothing easier than the rapid flash fire post that Todd put up your a few years ago. Hundreds of us are using it over the Camaro and the vette sites… Because it`s easy and doesn`t require you to have a lot of detailing knowledge.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/blackf...mbination.html

And for a few hours work, you get this, which by the way, was done 3 months ago. This pic after a 20 min rinseless wash:

Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Likes Stokdgs, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Yeah most people really are just wanting good reliable transportation. But if it shines, they jump on it like a dog on a bone. And I`ve been noticing that some of the older cars I`ve been getting, are just pretty lacking in the shine department. Such as this 01 accord I have now. It really sells a car, just like Accumulator was saying. They get this idea in their heads that it must be a great car. And when dealing with used cars, convincing the customer that this is a good car that is not going to crap out on them, is about 90% of your task. At least in my experience. The come to me wanting the car I have, but are very *very* concerned about its reliability. And rightly so. Something about a car that is real darn shiny and clean; it does that convincing for you.
    1) It just looks better and, regardless of what they say, they`d prefer a better looking car over a rustbucket.
    2) It makes it seem like a well taken care of car. When I sold my Escape I told the guy that bought it about all the problems, but he told me more than once that it looked like a very well taken care of car. It was, it just had problems, but his assumption was based solely off the fact that it was clean and shiny.
    “Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses.” - Plato

Now, if you will excuse me, I must go pray for wisdom from the Meguiar`s gods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RDKC View Post
    ..[ a good detail].. makes it seem like a well taken care of car. When I sold my Escape I told the guy that bought it about all the problems, but he told me more than once that it looked like a very well taken care of car. It was, it just had problems, but his assumption was based solely off the fact that it was clean and shiny.
    That sounds like my white Crown Vic, I kept warning the buyer that it had issues (that`s why it was at our mechanic`s shop in the first place) but he kept disregarding my warnings. After a while I just took his money (and he promptly had a major project on his hands).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    ... Just get some Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme..

It will give you a reasonable cut and correction, and shine pretty darn good, leaving a little polymer wax on the top...

Dan F
    Thanks for this. I always wondered about this product!

I would love that. You never know, just might turn out to be all I need.
    PM (private message) me your address, and I`ll get out a sample on monday/tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    There is really nothing easier than the rapid flash fire post that Todd put up your a few years ago. Hundreds of us are using it over the Camaro and the vette sites… Because it`s easy and doesn`t require you to have a lot of detailing knowledge.

And for a few hours work, you get this, which by the way, was done 3 months ago. This pic after a 20 min rinseless wash:
    Please don`t take this the wrong way. That combo sounds pretty good (and fast) and I can see how it would work on Vettes, Ferraris (as on the other thread you linked), and a 2016 Camaro - but how effective would it be on a beater that is 10-15 years old? Not being a jerk, just wondering on how well it would work on a daily driver that is likely neglected (hence, why the OP is looking for advice here).

That sounds like my white Crown Vic, I kept warning the buyer that it had issues.. but he kept disregarding my warnings. After a while I just took his money.
    Well, you *did* warn him!

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

On a beater i would swap the total polish and seal for a more stout polish like fg400 or meguires 105.

There is no "easy and quick" for a beater, the original question is flawed.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information