Post Thanks / Like

1st time wet sanding and denibbing blade

had a few defects on the paint that could not be remove by compounding so i decided to get my feet wet with wet sanding. it was a challenge and still a work in process.

tools used:
    meg`s sanding pad
    2000, 2500, 3000 grit paper
    denibbing blade
    PC w/ megs MF cutting pad
    CG v32 compound
    h20 in a a spray bottle

first off, i did do some other small chips on the hood before moving to these areas shown in the picture. those chips were my "practice" spots and i found it a bit challenging but fun. most interesting thing i found were the "tracers" after wet sanding. with incorrect technique these tracers show up after compounding. after i corrected my technique, the tracers were all gone except the ones near any edges or dips. will have to go back and research what i did incorrectly to fix those.

my first area was on the hood. i did this area with 3000 first but after sanding it and blowing it dry, the marks were still evident so i went down to 2500 grit then came back to 3000 again. i should have taken a picture of the in-between sandings but was in the zone and kept working. the technique i used was holding the sanding pad vertical but sanding in 45 degree angles. i would make a \ pass then come back this way / ... spray the area and paper clean then continue another pass.

my next big spot was in the right fender. this paint chip happened years ago before i started this hobby. it was a bare metal long scratch/chip and i simply just dabbed some touch up paint into it and smeared it around. i actually used the finger nail paint brush that the OEM includes in the touch up tube(i know.. i know..). at this point i had no choice but to keep touching it up, i built about 5 layers into this scratch/chip until it was overfilled but i think i should have done 1 more layer (you will see in the end). i had this idea to buy a denibber blade to help me remove some of the overflow in the paint chip and it would level off quicker. the blade works "okay", i think wet sanding it would have done the same thing. after the blade i followed up with 2000, 2500, 3000 grit and compounded. i wish i had my before picture from years ago when it was just bare metal as a reference but im 80% satisfied with how it got filled. i may go back one day and fill it in again.

i plan to go back and polish it after i tackle a few more defect areas. any questions or critiques are welcome
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st time wet sanding and denibbing blade

Nice! Yes, some touch ups there is only so much you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

The tape on either side of the defect does not allow the Denibber to do its job

There also should be a cord on the denibber that is designed to keep the blade at the appropriate angle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    The tape on either side of the defect does not allow the Denibber to do its job

There also should be a cord on the denibber that is designed to keep the blade at the appropriate angle
    when the tape isnt there, the denibber chips into the paint. maybe because no cord? my package didnt come with a cord......

Post Thanks / Like

donbeezy- I enjoyed seeing a wetsanding thread that didn`t make me nervous
    Likes donbeezy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

if im nervous about doing something, i typically dont attempt it. i felt like i did enough research and watched enough videos to fix any problems i would run into.

i did have an "oh xxxx" moment when i wet sanded the long scratch, black paint started to transfer onto the sand paper then i realized it was the touch up paint transfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    if im nervous about doing something, i typically dont attempt it. i felt like i did enough research and watched enough videos to fix any problems i would run into...

Glad it worked out so well for you. Far too often that "I felt like..." is the prelude to a disaster and is followed by "now how do I fix this?"

i did have an "oh xxxx" moment when i wet sanded the long scratch, black paint started to transfer onto the sand paper then i realized it was the touch up paint transfer.
    Heh heh, I bet that *did* get your attention!

Thread Information