Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing with a DA vs Rotary

I know that this topic has been beat to death with the consensus being that a Rotary can finish with a higher degree of clarity than a DA. I do not own a Rotary but have been toying with the idea of purchasing one and learning to use it. I currently own several DA`s and a Flex and get very good results with what I have. It does however intrigue me that a paint can be "jeweled" by a Rotary to achieve a finish that just cannot be achieved with other machines.

From what I understand the reason that a Rotary can finish better than a DA is the fact that it can break down the abrasives more evenly. If this is true, does this mean that a Rotary is only going to perform better using DAT polishes ? If using SMAT products is the DA going to give just as good of finish as the Rotary ? I am just trying to understand the "whys" of this debate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing with a DA vs Rotary

bswombaugh- That`s a good Q. I suspect that the "one direction only" nature of the rotary can theoretically still provide the better finish. But yeah, the operative word there is "theoretically" for a lot of reasons

(There should be a thread around here where Metropolitan Detail compared various polishers in this regard using a glossmeter.)

You and I both have the Flex 3401- I`m curious how you feel about that machine`s final finishing abilities. Trying to get a gauge on what`s the, uhm...threshold of significance.

(I`m sidestepping the whole issue of actually mastering the rotary and especially rotary-induced holograms, which *CAN* happen even with the mildest finishing combos. Also avoiding the Q of whether it`s sensible to go "beyond perfection" anyhow.)

Post Thanks / Like

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a test that had a meter verify the results. The rotary won, but it was a very close. So, should you get a rotary? I would, it`s not that hard to use and if you ever do a boat, you WILL thank me.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    If my memory serves me correctly, there was a test that had a meter verify the results. The rotary won, but it was a very close. So, should you get a rotary? I would, it`s not that hard to use and if you ever do a boat, you WILL thank me.
    Even worse - an Airplane ---
    Dan F
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Or a RV

Dave
    Likes Stokdgs, tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I own 5 different machines....if I had to pick only one to use....Makita...I personally think rotary`s provide a different gloss than Da`s....hard paints...Mercedes etc....you will wish you owned a Rotary
    Wendell Jarvis
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond, KY.
    859-248-2835
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Stokdgs, mshu7 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love finishing with a rotary on single stage paint.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    I know that this topic has been beat to death with the consensus being that a Rotary can finish with a higher degree of clarity than a DA. I do not own a Rotary but have been toying with the idea of purchasing one and learning to use it. I currently own several DA`s and a Flex and get very good results with what I have. It does however intrigue me that a paint can be "jeweled" by a Rotary to achieve a finish that just cannot be achieved with other machines.

From what I understand the reason that a Rotary can finish better than a DA is the fact that it can break down the abrasives more evenly. If this is true, does this mean that a Rotary is only going to perform better using DAT polishes ? If using SMAT products is the DA going to give just as good of finish as the Rotary ? I am just trying to understand the "whys" of this debate.
    Sometimes you will get "da haze" normally on darker colors. Just need to be finished more (imho)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

How does one finish with a rotary without leaving swirls? Especially on dark paints. Maybe I am missing something in this question. I can get the swirls considerably less noticeable with a rotary if I do it right. But they are still there. So I always finish it off with a DA. I`m willing to gamble that I am confused by this question though lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenny.bacon View Post
    How does one finish with a rotary without leaving swirls? Especially on dark paints. Maybe I am missing something in this question. I can get the swirls considerably less noticeable with a rotary if I do it right. But they are still there. So I always finish it off with a DA. I`m willing to gamble that I am confused by this question though lol.
    After which step are you leaving swirls? Are you compounding or polishing/finishing? I wonder if it is haze/marring that you see. Most of the time on soft paint it is harder to finish down and the haze will look like swirls.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenny.bacon View Post
    I never make swirls with my Makita... Not bragging, just fact..

-You want to keep the pad and product just moist enough to allow it all to finish the work, the pad, and the product are supposed to do on that spot on that panel..
    -You Always want to keep the pad FLAT on the panel, understanding fully how the center of the pad is always going to be revolving slower than the outside of the pad, and make allowances for this..
    -You will Never take the top half and bottom half of the pad, turn up the speed, and burn up and down a panel quickly - unless - you are installing the Swirl-O-Matic Look, to the paint..
    -Experiment with Speed - I find that lower speeds work better for me and my needs, and this also allows more time for the process to start and finish more completely - and I never get dusting..
    -Experiment with letting the pad do All the work for you - even cleaning up what little is left on the panel, so you have very little to wipe off and risk scratching that perfectly clear, glossy, work.. It may take a few more pads to do it this way, but to me and my business model, it is way worth it..
    - I keep a lot of little white towels handy to wipe down the foam pad face often, so that it will last longer and give me the best possible work before I need to change it..
    -It is OK to stop and start over on that panel as many times as it takes to get your process down for that panel and the rest of the car..

Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes Oldfordisbetter, Junebug liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A Rotary will be able to use any type of compound, polish, etc., and work it down in trained, experienced hands..
    I have used both DAT and SMAT and personally like Optimum Hyper-Polish a lot because it can correct and keep working until I lessen the pressure and allow it to clear up the paint and ultimately leave a very, clear, glossy, deep, finish.. It rocks on Acura paint..
    Dan F
    Likes Oldfordisbetter liked this post
    Thanks Oldfordisbetter thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I never make swirls with my Makita... Not bragging, just fact..

-You want to keep the pad and product just moist enough to allow it all to finish the work the pad and the product are supposed to do on that spot on that panel..
    -You Always want to keep the pad FLAT on the panel, understanding fully how the center of the pad is always going to be revolving slower than the outside of the pad, and make allowances for this..
    -You will Never take the top half and bottom half of the pad, turn up the speed, and burn up and down a panel quickly - unless - you are installing the Swirl-O-Matic Look, to the paint..
    -Experiment with Speed - I find that lower speeds work better for me and my needs, and this also allows more time for the process to start and finish more completely - and I never get dusting..
    -Experiment with letting the pad do All the work for you - even cleaning up what little is left on the panel, so you have very little to wipe off and risk scratching that perfectly clear, glossy, work..
    -It is OK to stop and start over on that panel as many times as it takes to get your process down for that panel and the rest of the car..

Good Luck !
    Dan F

Well said great post

One of the keys with polishing is always having a moist oily but not wet film of polish on the surface and never buff dry
    as well as slowing the machine down and keeping the pads clean with regular compressed air cleaning

Kenny - there are plenty of compounds and polishes in the market with gougy abrasives that are too aggressive for some paints and are constantly tearing at it when used
    the other thing that`s important with rotary is making sure your pad is perfectly centered on the backing plate.
    The buffing pad aficionado

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3401 and a Makita rotary. Personally I have been using my rotary a lot more. In fact the last 5 corrections have been strictly with my rotary using Menzerna products. Fg400/sf4000 is a awesome combo. Being that they are DAT products the rotary I feel breaks down the abrasives quicker and easier and makes wipe off a breeze.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes mshu7, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Its high time I get my Flex off the shelf again.
    Dan, what speed you normally compound at? You use 105 a lot, right? That Hyper Polish is good stuff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information