Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question Flex vs. BOSS vs Rupes: Im not seeing something here..

I`m trying to understand the more expensive tools that detailers use. Ignoring rotary polishers for the purposes of this thread, many detailers seem to gravitate to the Flex 3401, BOSS 15 or 21, or a Rupes 15 or 21. I understand that the BOSS and Rupes are long throw DA machines, and I also understand the Flex 3401 is a forced rotation machine that keeps spinning the pad when the others would stall out. I understand the concepts surrounding DA machines vs forced rotation machines as well.

But given the prices of those units are in the same ballpark, why would anyone prefer a BOSS or Rupes over a Flex? Given the forced rotation of the Flex, wouldn`t it be the superior tool over the other options around its price point? Maybe I`m missing something here, but I don`t understand the value of each of these tools compared each other given the correction power of a Flex. Does anyone have an explanation as to the arguments for or against these tools? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex vs. BOSS vs Rupes: I`m not seeing something here..

SwedishRider- I haven`t used the other two, but as a Flex 3401 user I can say that it doesn`t always finish out as well as I want, so I have to do a final polish with something else. No, I doubt that anybody else would ever notice the diff,but hey...this is Autopia.
    Likes RaskyR1, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks SwedishRider thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it comes down to comfort too. I am a 3401 user but to be honest the vibrations and the fact it gets hot has started to wear on me. I may buy a G21 but for now my Makita rotary has been called into action and works smooth and fast.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve read quite a few reviews that praise the BOSS 15 and 21 for their comfort and power (and warranty), but they are still not forced rotation like a Flex 3401. I would think the Flex would "walk" much more than a BOSS, but would give more correction. The BOSS may finish better because of the lack of forced rotation though. I guess it depends if you need the forced rotation or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    I think it comes down to comfort too. I am a 3401 user but to be honest the vibrations and the fact it gets hot has started to wear on me. I may buy a G21 but for now my Makita rotary has been called into action and works smooth and fast.
    I have had a 3401 for a few years now and I will tell you that using it for extended periods is a workout. I am doing a lot more paint corrections these days and am contemplating purchasing the Rupes or the Griots 21. From what I understand, they do a great job of correcting while being much easier to control and physically easier on the body.

Post Thanks / Like

The key with the 3401 is to use softer cutting pads like the pink pads from lake country. As far as which is better? On jet black paint the Rupes type polishers are superior the way they finish. And here is another trick for the Rupes users - if the machine slows or stops in those common areas, move the polisher fast like the old school rotary guys. It keeps spinning and actually cuts maybe even better.

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t compare the long throw polishers to a Flex, but polishing with my G15 is a real pleasure compared to my GG6 ( I don`t have any real complaints) and it gets the job done in half the time. The ability to polish with little to no pressure and the lack of significant vibration is outstanding IMO.
    Likes Junebug, RaskyR1, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 3401... Beast of a machine but a full compound and polish job will wear you out. I havent used a rupes or a boss for comparison.

i just got a 3403 and im looking forward to learning to use it, though opportunities will be limited
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes XxBoostinxX, Detail Impressions liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I love my 3401... Beast of a machine but a full compound and polish job will wear you out. I havent used a rupes or a boss for comparison.

i just got a 3403 and im looking forward to learning to use it, though opportunities will be limited
    How old are you? It wears you out? What are you doing with it? Wrestle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany View Post
    Im 30 but have a seriously bad back
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Thomas Dekany liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    I have had a 3401 for a few years now and I will tell you that using it for extended periods is a workout. I am doing a lot more paint corrections these days and am contemplating purchasing the Rupes or the Griots 21. From what I understand, they do a great job of correcting while being much easier to control and physically easier on the body.
    I agree with wombaugh. One of the main reasons I bought a 21es is because of how exhausted I would be after long buffing hours. Don`t get me wrong I love the Flex. It cuts well, finishes pretty good, and is built very well. But if I had to choose one it would be the Rupes.
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Likes Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t care for the noise of the Flex, the counter clockwise rotation, and I could never get a comfortable position with it. If you can, see if there are any forum members close to you and if you could try some machines before you buy.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using my Rupes 15 mostly instead of my Flex since I do not do that much correction. When doing my daily driver recently I decided to do a side by side evaluation using the same polish and pad (just moved pad between machines).

The Flex is heavier and notice a difference on vertical panels. Due the weight, I noticed I needed to insure I have good body position (polisher has to mostly stay in front of you to minimize the stress on my arms. The Rupes is more forgiving on vertical areas. It was primary of the mid and lower panels areas since you have to decide to sit on the ground, rest on your knees, or use the rolling chair. The upper surfaces are fine with the flex. For both, the long body is more of a factor in handling on lower sections since I like to hold with the tail at the 4 o`clock position.

I am sure others with a lot more experience may do it better.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t touched my 3401 since I purchased the 15 and now the 21.
    I`m hanging onto it for now but once I prove that the Rupes can handle side panel corrections, it`s going off to EBay.
    I have a Makita if I have any problems after that.

It`s cool how the 3401 sounds and ramps up if you want to show off a bit. But you can`t beat the smoothness and balance of the Rupes.. so much easier on me.

Maybe I`ll be generous at Christmas.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, Stokdgs, felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My flex required more effort to use that the rupes. When I pull the flex out after using the rupes it`s amazing the difference in effort to keep the machine where you want it. The rupes requires on slight guidance where the flex needs to me moved where you want it. Tough to explain but it how it feels to me. I also can finish out better with my rupes or gg6 than I can with my flex on darker color cars. I will try the lighter cutting pads as now I am using orange.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information