Thread: Cutting pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting pad?

I was wondering how much if any actual cutting a certain pad does?
    Does a "cutting pad" actual do any of the cutting or is it just a medium by which a polish or compound is able to work more aggressively?
    If cutting pads do actually do some of the cutting, what % do some pads do?
    ( I realize there are many pads out there, but just an example would be nice )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting pad?

I don`t know if you can quantify the amount of cut, but feel a Rupes Blue pad vs. a Rupes White pad and you can definitely tell the Blue pad will have more cut due to the coarseness.

Post Thanks / Like

With some foam/wool cutting pads there`s no question they contribute- no matter what product you use there`ll be hazing from the aggressive pad material. Different story with MF Cutting Disks IME, they`re more about how they work the product; the "cutting" versions are still too gentle to do anything iun-and-of themselves.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

A really good "cutting pad" that will quickly remove defects with the appropriate compound, AND finish much better than anything else that says wool, wool blend, etc., in my experiences, has been the Lake Country Purple Foam Wool pads..
    They now have probably perfected them even more or changed them for the better, but the old design from about 10 years ago will still do anything I need it to do with my Makita 9227C Rotary..
    Dan F
    Likes WhyteWizard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    A really good "cutting pad" that will quickly remove defects with the appropriate compound, AND finish much better than anything else that says wool, wool blend, etc., in my experiences, has been the Lake Country Purple Foam Wool pads..
    They now have probably perfected them even more or changed them for the better, but the old design from about 10 years ago will still do anything I need it to do with my Makita 9227C Rotary..
    Dan F
    I just got some of those purple foamed wool pads. Not sure when I`ll need them- just wanted a couple. Really interesting feel to them
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I just got some of those purple foamed wool pads. Not sure when I`ll need them- just wanted a couple. Really interesting feel to them
    I have a cabinet full of them in different sizes, all the way down to 3" I believe...
    Sometimes you come across a scratch or defect on just 1 little area and you want to just touch that area with something more aggressive and these with a compound on my Makita 9227C work perfectly..

These pads work really fast so you need to be stopping often to check your work and see if the defect/s is eliminated..

On a Rotary, they will initially blow a little wool off but then will be ok...

They need to be as "thick" as possible to work best, I mean that if they are all flattened out because they are full of gunk and compound, you need to change to a new one..

They will wash up just fine with normal pad cleaner, just mind that they have a type of wool in there and you have to be a little gentle so you keep them as thick as possible..

On Airplane paint there is nothing else in the foam world that will work as great as they do...

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs,

I only buy the biggest pads. Then when they wear out, they only wear out on the outside edge so, I put the big pad on a smaller backing plate and cut the outside edge off. Again and again. About three pads for the price of one. Lake Country hates that.

Back to the original question:

The pad provides the backing for the abrasive. A pad that holds the abrasive tightly so it doesn`t come loose and slurry around on the paint will cut faster. A soft pad doesn`t push the abrasive into the paint as hard so it will be less effective, but will leave a higher gloss. In my experience, there`s no substitute for a wool pad - or foamed wool - on a rotary when it comes to defect/scratch removal. Wool pads run cooler and are more forgiving than foam on a rotary - though foam does work and has its place... The foamed wool pad from Lake Country has the best balance between cut and shine I know of.

When it comes to the Makita BO6040, which is what I use for minor defects and swirl removal, the only pad I need is the European orange foam.

Robert
    Likes BluesBrother liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert, I was talking to lee over in Illinois the other day and he mentioned you.
    Anyhow great post.

As far as cutting, there are rayon, denim, velvet and silk pads that will do more than wool and finish down nicely on da or rotary
    however there are new super fine new Zealand wool pads that finish extremely well on any machine
    The buffing pad aficionado

Thread Information