Post Thanks / Like

Question KAIO: apply by machine or hand?

I`ve been using KAIO followed by KSG for years on my cars with good results. Recently, I`ve considered taking the next step and getting a DA to apply the KAIO (but keep applying the KSG by hand). The DA polisher could be used for light paint correction before the KAIO as well (Meg`s Ultimate Compound). I guess my question has to do with the benefit of a machine polisher over the microfiber hand application I use now. What benefit, if any, is there in a DA polisher for KAIO? Is there a case to be made for buying a GG6 for KAIO, or would I be better off with my hand application. I don`t mind spending the money on the GG6 if it would make the job better or faster. Problem is... I don`t know what it would offer to my KAIO method. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KAIO: apply by machine or hand?

Well, it`s going to be a more thorough and efficient application of KAIO as far as cleaning...um...this is going to get kind of convoluted--I think machine application is going to be of more benefit if you`re NOT using the Meg`s UC first. In that case, using KAIO with a machine will get you more correction and better cleaning than a hand application (at least where you can reach with the machine). If you are going to polish with an abrasive polish first, that`s going to do the correction and cleaning, and the KAIO will be left to remove the UC residue and prep the surface for SG.

If you do use the KAIO by machine, just beware of building up residue at panel edges, etc.; you know how Klasse products are tough to get off when you get them on thick.
    Thanks SwedishRider thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, it`s going to be a more thorough and efficient application of KAIO as far as cleaning...um...this is going to get kind of convoluted--I think machine application is going to be of more benefit if you`re NOT using the Meg`s UC first. In that case, using KAIO with a machine will get you more correction and better cleaning than a hand application (at least where you can reach with the machine). If you are going to polish with an abrasive polish first, that`s going to do the correction and cleaning, and the KAIO will be left to remove the UC residue and prep the surface for SG.

If you do use the KAIO by machine, just beware of building up residue at panel edges, etc.; you know how Klasse products are tough to get off when you get them on thick.

What ^he^ said
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishRider View Post
    What benefit, if any, is there in a DA polisher for KAIO?
    Speed - Quicker than working by hand assuming the DA can reach everywhere (in most cases you`ll need to apply by hand in certain areas)
    Mild correction - Depending on the pad you use to apply KAIO you can achieve much more correction than you could by hand
    Even application - I personally find the DA applies LSP`s very evenly and everywhere, whereas
    by hand you may only go over a spot once or twice the DA goes over it many more times ensuring the product is all over the paint.

Is there a case to be made for buying a GG6 for KAIO, or would I be better off with my hand application?
    I`ve applied KAIO by hand and DA, when my paint is perfect (just polished) I apply by hand as to reduce any chance for error as no correction is needed and I`m never rushing. If you need some very mild correction or are pressed for time then I`d recommend using a DA. I do love using the DA application when doing friends/family cars as it`s faster.

I don`t mind spending the money on the GG6 if it would make the job better or faster. Problem is... I don`t know what it would offer to my KAIO method. Any thoughts?
    IMHO there will be no noticeable difference between application methods if correction is not needed (not normally the case with a daily driver). With that said I think there`s a slight benefit to applying KIAO by DA for daily driven cars that are not regularly corrected.

Final thoughts if your into detailing and think you`ll use the DA sometimes, it`s worth purchasing because it can be used for so many different tasks/jobs (much more useful than just applying KAIO). I think you`ll find yourself using the tool to do many different jobs you wouldn`t consider until you own it. -Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Only reason(s) I can think of to do KAIO by machine (and I do often do it that way) would be related to how the polisher is a "fast hand that doesn`t get fatigued"; so it`ll probably go over the area more times (hence perhaps providing better cleaning), more uniformly than you will manually. And the motions of moving a polisher are just *different* from moving an applicator, you might like one method better/worse than the other.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think KAIO flashes too fast using it with a DA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
    I personally think KAIO flashes too fast using it with a DA.
    Yeah, you have to use more product than normal (I find).

Thread Information