Post Thanks / Like

Backing Plate Durability

Any of you guys had any problems with backing plate failures such as the threaded stud breaking or other issues? The reason that I ask is I was wondering if it should be replaced ever so often as a good preventative maintenance move. I have several years and a ton of hours on mine thats on a DA. I would hate to know what kind of damage may happen if the stud broke while polishing at high speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing Plate Durability

Only one I`ve ever trashed was on my PC when I accidentally dropped it and bent the stud. For the most part they don`t see much pressure that they`ll come flying apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Any of you guys had any problems with backing plate failures such as the threaded stud breaking or other issues? The reason that I ask is I was wondering if it should be replaced ever so often as a good preventative maintenance move. I have several years and a ton of hours on mine thats on a DA. I would hate to know what kind of damage may happen if the stud broke while polishing at high speed.
    Several years, meaning more than two, and a ton of hours IMO needs to be replaced. I know the old adage, "don`t fix whats not broken", but backing plates do wear out.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me that I need to order one, my probably-oldest 6" came apart a while back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Reminds me that I need to order one, my probably-oldest 6" came apart a while back.
    Was it on a rotary or DA ? What exactly "came apart" about it and did it do any damage ? Have you ever had the 5/16 threaded stud to break or come loose on any of your bp`s?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bswombaugh View Post
    Was [the backing plate that died] on a rotary or DA ? What exactly "came apart" about it and did it do any damage ? Have you ever had the 5/16 threaded stud to break or come loose on any of your bp`s?
    It was a PC-type one that was mounted on my GG. The plate`s yellow foam material disintegrated in a somewhat weird way while I was using it with MF bonnet (over a foam pad) to buff off wax. No damage other than contaminating the MF bonnet pretty badly (I just tossed it).

I can imagine what you`re concerned about, but I`ve only had that happen *one* time- the stud started to tear loose; I spotted it and replace the plate with no damage done. That one time was a *LONG* time ago and I can`t remember what plate it was, but if I had to guess I`d say it was a cheapie generic (which I no longer buy).

I`d keep you keep a spare plate on-hand, but if you maintain vigilance, and keep your wits about you whenever polishing, I wouldn`t expect any problems. Though that does have me thinking "yeah, famous last words..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    It was a PC-type one that was mounted on my GG. The plate`s yellow foam material disintegrated in a somewhat weird way while I was using it with MF bonnet (over a foam pad) to buff off wax. No damage other than contaminating the MF bonnet pretty badly (I just tossed it).

I can imagine what you`re concerned about, but I`ve only had that happen *one* time- the stud started to tear loose; I spotted it and replace the plate with no damage done. That one time was a *LONG* time ago and I can`t remember what plate it was, but if I had to guess I`d say it was a cheapie generic (which I no longer buy).

I`d keep you keep a spare plate on-hand, but if you maintain vigilance, and keep your wits about you whenever polishing, I wouldn`t expect any problems. Though that does have me thinking "yeah, famous last words..."
    Thanks for the clarification. I have been using DA`s and other polishers for probably about the last 12 years and I have never had a backing plate failure. Sometimes though I get to thinking about all of the "what if`s" and what kind of damage could possibly be caused with a failure such as this. I am probably being overly cautious on something like this but with my track record of all stupid and odd things that have happened to me over the years, this is where my mind tends to go. I just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys that have made a lifetime using these tools to put my mind at ease or give some additional direction.

I did however go ahead and order new 3.5" and 5" Buff and Shine backing plates to replace the current ones that I have on my machines. I feel better doing this as I am not even sure what brand is on my current machines.

Thread Information