Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Final polish, and LSP

Q about the BF combo- does it darken paint the way BF AFPP does? That darkened the S8 so much that it looked like a different paint code! Hated it on that color, liked it on others.

WaxAddict- One caveat, I`ve had FK425 mess up fresh Collinite. Only happened once, but it was an absolute disaster as in "strip it off instead of delivering the car...". It messed things up so badly that I`ve never used FK425 on Collinite since, and I`d done it many times with no issues.

The Guz- I`ve had issues with some LSPs over top of M205 when I failed to completely strip the Trade Secret Oils. Never had any problems when the LSP was from Meguiar`s though.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`ve had issues with some LSPs over top of M205 when I failed to completely strip the Trade Secret Oils.
    I was planning to use an 20% IPA solution to strip the oils, but I read that it`s not good enough any other over the counter recommendations (Simple Green diluted maybe?)

As I assume 845 is even harder to remove than the left over "trade secret oils" in the polish this will be important for when the BFWD/BDMS arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

4u2nvinmtl- I don`t let Simple Green get anywhere near my vehicles.

IME the IPA simply doesn`t strip the M205`s oils effectively, complete exercise in frustration. I use TOL`s Akyra Clean (formerly known as PrepWash). The same stuff would strip the 845 but might take some doing. I myself would probably just wash the vehicle with ValuGard`s "A", but then I already have that on the shelf. There are probably lots of products on the market that`d work OK, just never tried `em.
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used 15% IPA but I went over the area a couple of time to strip the oils from M205. Again this was on the OEM hood that is not on the car to do some testing. I`m Accumulator on simple green. You could get some Meguiar`s D114. It`s been mentioned on the Megs forum that D114 at 6:1 can be used as an IPA replacement.

The Guz- I`ve had issues with some LSPs over top of M205 when I failed to completely strip the Trade Secret Oils. Never had any problems when the LSP was from Meguiar`s though.
    This makes sense they are within the same family.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Just a FWIW, the two vehicles where I simply could *NOT* strip the TSO with IPA were an e36 M3 and a GMC Yukon. They both had "sticky" paints that simply retained those oils like I couldn`t believe...worse than porous single stage even.

And yeah, IME Meguiar`s does a good job of making the intra-family compatibility thing work.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- One caveat, I`ve had FK425 mess up fresh Collinite. Only happened once, but it was an absolute disaster as in "strip it off instead of delivering the car...". It messed things up so badly that I`ve never used FK425 on Collinite since, and I`d done it many times with no issues.

Accum., check it, in bold, from my message to the OP:
    "...Collinite 845 will look great on your truck and give you months of protection. A few days later, top the 845 with Finish Kare 425 QD. ..."

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Heh heh, oh sheesh....that`s at least twice in two days that I failed to read carefully enough before I posted something

BTW, you ever try IUDJ? I ask because I was a diehard FK425/FK146 fan (sorta still am, I *DO* really like those QDs), but I find that I`m reaching for the IUDJ instead most of the time, enough so that I`m actually wondering when I`ll ever use up the FK! Sure never expected that...so I`d be interested to hear what you think if/when you ever try the IUDJ.

Post Thanks / Like

WaxAddict- Heh heh, oh sheesh....that`s at least twice in two days that I failed to read carefully enough before I posted something

BTW, you ever try IUDJ? I ask because I was a diehard FK425/FK146 fan (sorta still am, I *DO* really like those QDs), but I find that I`m reaching for the IUDJ instead most of the time, enough so that I`m actually wondering when I`ll ever use up the FK! Sure never expected that...so I`d be interested to hear what you think if/when you ever try the IUDJ.
    No, I just have never gotten around to it. Although Gary is just like 10 miles away, he`s in the opposite direction of everything I go to, and he`s open when I`m working. I mention this only because I will not pay shipping for something from Tampa when I`m just down the road! Conversely, I won`t go to his shop for reasons mentioned. OCD mental block.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    No, I just have never gotten around to it. Although Gary is just like 10 miles away... OCD mental block.
    Heh heh heh...

Post Thanks / Like

LSP stuck at customs...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information