Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

LaMarque- No, don`t think about clearcoating factory ss.` Just keep it maintained and don`t do anything that might mess with the originality.` Assuming it *is* factory paint (at least mostly), that`s one of that car`s greatest attributes!` It`s only original once, after it`s repainted it`s just not the same (cars that were once ss, but where then repainted with b/c are a dime-a-dozen compared to those that still have ss).` Yeah, ss takes more maintenance, but that`s just the nature of the beast.

`

Single stage paint is just *different* and it looks different.` That`s one reason why Porsche kept using ss for certain colors long after they were basically switched over to b/c.` This car is....what?...Guard`s Red?` That PIA, quick-to-oxidize, ss paint is a *feature*

Post Thanks / Like

OK. So tag your it...

`

Yes Guard`s Red. At least t is now

`

Since I`m really not going for 90% correction and I`m leaving the finish with it`s `character`, is there a need to remove the polishing oils or can I just apply an LSP after say a light pass with Adapt or 205 or Menz, etc.

`

Which aslo makes me wonder if I`m using M205 for my version of a one step, why wash off the oils?
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

LeMarque- The oils from M205 will dissppate over time, and might make for an unexpected change.` But then any glaze oils from something like M07 would do that too sooner or later.` I tjhink we`re on the same page there.

`

Hard to say...if it were mine I`d probably use a glaze + wax approach and redo both as needed, but that`s me. The thing with ss is that it just needs more work, more often.` So I`d pick stuff that`s user-friendly and do it pretty often.` Yeah, I know, most people don`t want to do that, hence the popularity of b/c.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I passed your thoughts on to the customer. He`s going to come by Monday and make a decision. If he chooses not to Opti-Coat, SOMEONE owes me a profitable job <_<
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Uh-Oh!

`

What do the resident coating experts here say about coating single stage?

Post Thanks / Like

Customer decided he want`s it coated.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

LeMarque- OK, I`m kinda relieved...now it`ll be all on him (as opposed to me costing you the coating job)!

`

It`ll be interesting to see how it works out over time, post back if you get a chance after he`s lived with it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Shucks. I was hoping to get you out here to NM to help me with a couple of cars for the upcoming SFe Concorso ...
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh, nah....that does look like a cool show though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information