Post Thanks / Like

I reached out to Kevin at buffdaddy, but emailed him 6 days ago and haven`t heard back, and it`s a bit time sensitive, so I thought I`d ask the community here. `Here`s what I sent him:

`
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Hi Kevin,
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">`
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">I’ve been detailing for 7 years, and while I use a rotary on rare`occasion, my go-to for compounding and polishing is the latest GG 6” DA, 5”`backing plate, m105 on mf pad, d300 on foam.
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">That said, there are a wide range of instances in which I need to wet sand to get to deeper RIDs. `I find doing so by hand fairly frustrating and inconsistent. `
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Wondering if you could recommend a complete but basic setup for machine wet sanding, ranging from small areas to entire panels. `I’m no stranger to`clear coat`tolerances, but if I can get 90% of the results with 1/10th of the risk of mistakes with a certain setup, I’d happily make that compromise.
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Also, on a related note, I’ve never used wool via rotary (or DA for that matter). My need for faster cutting is increasing, so I need to dive into that as well. `My Dewalt`rotary just passed away, so I’m looking for a quality but cost effective rotary, backing plate, pad setup, and I’m open to your recommendations!
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">I appreciate the time, and everything you do for the detailing community!
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">- - - - - -`
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">I realize that perhaps they are dumb quesitons. `I`ve searched to no end here, and many suggestions on this topic are from years ago. `I know it`s a slower-changing industry than some, but curious what you guys are using currently for the above challenges?
    <div style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahheck01- I`ll spare you my usual dire warnings about doing this stuff, including removing`serious RIDS in general, but please consider them expressed anyhow.` I`m as fanatical as anybody and there are plenty of things I simply live with because I believe it`s the smart thing to do.` OK, OK...

`

I`d wait for Kevin on the wetsanding-by-machine info/stuff.` But FWIW`I like the foam-backed Mirka stuff, so you might at least do a google on their line.` Barry posted about his preferences a while back, can`t remember what he likes these days.

`

I *like* wool via rotary, runs cooler than foam so it can be a lot safer.` I kinda prefer my Metabo rotary over my Makita, but the latter is more of a heavy-duty tank (not like a Milwaukee though, or probably even your Dewalt).` I`m not enough of a rotary expert to advise you on plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Ahheck01- I`ll spare you my usual dire warnings about doing this stuff, including removing`serious RIDS in general, but please consider them expressed anyhow.` I`m as fanatical as anybody and there are plenty of things I simply live with because I believe it`s the smart thing to do.` OK, OK...

`

I`d wait for Kevin on the wetsanding-by-machine info/stuff.` But FWIW`I like the foam-backed Mirka stuff, so you might at least do a google on their line.` Barry posted about his preferences a while back, can`t remember what he likes these days.

`

I *like* wool via rotary, runs cooler than foam so it can be a lot safer.` I kinda prefer my Metabo rotary over my Makita, but the latter is more of a heavy-duty tank (not like a Milwaukee though, or probably even your Dewalt).` I`m not enough of a rotary expert to advise you on plates.

Thanks for the reply, Accumulator. `Taking your advice and waiting for a reply from Kevin, yet it`s been 18 days and no reply yet. `Is there a trick to get a response from him? `His website says "You can also`<span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">e-mail`questions to Kevin at:`iamwaxman@aol.com

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;text-align:justify;">You`ll receive an e-mail back from Kevin, often within a few minutes." `So I`m wondering if I did something wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is right up your alley: `http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...-brown-method/
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Ahheck01- Huh, wonder what`s up that he hasn`t gotten back to you...

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

`

`

`

`

Have you tried Mirka`s latest polish and/or compound? I have some sitting in my shop and would love to try it out. But we`ve been slammed and over the last month, since being handed a few bottles and I have been relying more on my bread and butter combos. When I have the time, I want to explore their current offers more.`

`

...I have been able to use their electric DA sanders and have fallen in love.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been curious why I don`t see more about the Mirka brand on here. `It`s all GG, Rupes, etc., yet I see a lot of high end shops using Mirka, and frankly their products are gorgeous. `I`m willing to spend money on quality machines. `I don`t want to save $150 for a purchase that I`ll use a couple hundred times a year, when that $150 more offers a superior machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Jean-Claude- No, I`ve never tried the Mirka compound, only use their sandng disks once in a blue moon.

Post Thanks / Like

grab a 3"" backing plate, get the interface pad, and 3" discs for spot sanding...you will do a 4*4 area with a 3" pad (dant sand in one spot for too long)

`

Kevin set me up with a complete kit a while back to multistep sand a VW van.` Total was about 350.` everything needed from 1000-1500-2000-2500-3000 in 6" and 3" with the tools i didnt already have.` I mainly havent had to use the 1000 yet, but have a feeling I may soon on a project.`

Thread Information