Post Thanks / Like
    Im interested to hear techniques for doing this for time savings and very light correction.

Im thinking HD speed or OPS on a white pad (or even one of these thin wool pads) would be a great combo for this.

This would cater to your normal one step people but you could cut a lot of time off the da one step.

Is it going to be able to finish out well enough? What other things are limitation with this?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of variables that go into being able to do a 1 step with a rotary.

`

Type of paint your working on, your skill level with the rotary, pad/product combo, etc

`

It is definitely possible, but not every paint system will be able to be finished down perfectly without holograms. Especially on softer paint such as Jet black BMW or Subaru.

`

In my experience I`d much rather use a DA such as the Rupes 21 which is much faster compared PC or Griots. I can do the correction on any paint system and not worry about holograms at all. And basically just adjust my pad/product combo for the paint system I`m working on. After adding the Rupes 21 to my arsenal I really only use my rotary for heavy cutting or for hard to reach areas that I can`t get a DA into. Compared to the PC or Griots I`ve cut my correction time in half at least. The Rupes is much faster due to the larger throw and can finish down nearly flawless on most paint systems.

Post Thanks / Like

dfoxengr- Finishing out 100% hologram-free via rotary is challenging to say the least.` I know guys who are absolute *experts* with them who still say they can`t always do it.` I`ve also seen plenty of "perfectly finished-out" jobs that, uhm....weren`t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am i right in thinking that hologram chance with a super mild finishing polish is less, so maybe except for black cars or soft paint this might be a decent way to go if lots of practice and control are uses?

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think it`s worth it. I`ve finished down a number of jobs with rotary but the process required to create a hologram-free finish is not a quick one. Finishing down with rotary is about the end result more than the time imo.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok ill stick with the 3401 for one steps then.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

dfoxengr- That`s probably a good plan IMO.` While the milder pad/product combos do make for a greater chance of success, it`s still a chance.

`

Note that I do recognize and respect guys like John Kleven and Barry Theal who can not only finish out fine by rotary, but also achieve results that might otherwise not be possible....but mere mortals like Yours Truly (and most other detailers `) are better off finishing with a DA/RO.

Thread Information