Post Thanks / Like
    Well after doing some research I decided to go head and do a paint correction on WRX. I am using a pc7424 with megs 105/205 combo. So, I started with my hood and I got most, if not all the swirls off with no problem. Cool right? NO! I moved on to my doors and all the swirls were gone but these UGLY holograms are all over the doors. This didn`t happen on the hood or the fender. I drive a Subaru so I know it has really crappy soft paint but any idea why this is happening?

Been working on the car for 6 hours today and only got half done. These holograms really killed my spirits. I don`t know what to do. Can any one help a noob out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Was this after 205 or 105? What pads are you using? Pressure?
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    I used 105 with LC orange pad and 205 with LC white pad. I was using about10-14 pounds of pressure. There was some holograms before I started the correction as well, could that also play a role in this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Subierag
    I used 105 with LC orange pad and 205 with LC white pad. I was using about10-14 pounds of pressure. There was some holograms before I started the correction as well, could that also play a role in this?

I had this same issue, using the same PC, same pads, same 105/205, i have a 2004 black Honda.

I then tried M205 with a LC black finish pad with light/moderate pressure and slowww movement, it helped a good bit. However what finally got rid (or hid) the holograms was Meguiar`s Ultimate Paste Wax as an LSP

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not use the PC, but can it put holograms in paint? Sounds more like a higher speed polisher error. Like you said, there were some before. Not a 105 user as well so that does not help with me giving advice.
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    When not caused by a rotary, I refer to such issues as "pseudo-holgorams". They do look a *LOT* like the "real" holograms that you get with rotary polishers.

subierag- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry to hear you`re having problems, but as for the time factor...well, it can take a long, long time to do this stuff, especially when you`re still getting your technique/etc. squared away.

What size pads are you using? I never made any good progress with my PCs (same model) unless I used little 4" pads. I couldn`t, for instance, get good results with 6" pads no matter what I tried.

Some other things that occur to me:

If from the M105, some of it might be from the buffing off. Are you using something like M34 when wiping off the residue? I sure would...the M105 never breaks down, so it`s always abrasive. This means it can mar things up when you buff it off.

If from the M205, it might be oily residue from the Trade Secret Oils, which can be incredibly tenacious (IPA alone often won`t remove them).

You might need an intermediate step with the M105 on a milder pad; I usually do this. This should get *most* of the issues from the M105/aggressive pad sorted out. You don`t want to ask the M205 to do too much, especially if you`re using it on a gentle pad.

The M205 might not finish out perfectly. I often find it`s not quite good enough for the final buff despite being marketed as a "finishing polish".

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an issue like this as well. It wasn`t holograms, it was left over polish. I used a paint cleanser an it removed all of them. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the polish is sticking the paint, which is a very common problem with Subaru paint. Sometimes 3D HD Speed will remove the residue, sometimes Optimum G-P-S will. Really hit and miss.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    What about using a diminishing abrasive like the Menz PF 2500 on a green pad or tangergine hydro pad? I use M105/205 a lot and have found even when working M205 correctly with a black pad it doesn`t finish down well on soft paint. However I have never seen holograms. Do you have a black pad you could try with the M205.

Thread Information