Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone does detailing work outside. Assuming you can find shade, would wind/dust/debris be an issue with detailing outside?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a pro by any measure, as I only do my own vehicles (and a few close friends/family)... but for the most part, I don`t have a choice but to do it outside.

Is dust an issue? Definitely. Slows me way down, as I carefully make sure any dust I see is cleared from the surface before any paint correction on that panel/section (or sealing).

This time of year is a nightmare - POLLEN!

But it can be done.

Miranda Detailing MirandaDetailin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also work all outdoors, we do many one steps and some correction jobs. I use a canopy to help with shade, but some dust and mostly pollen season is terrible. But many times its ok. We are used to making sure each panel is clean before we proceed with any polishing, it just becomes routine. Also an air compressor helps to blow dust and pollen off each panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work outside 90% of the time. I usually give the panel I`m about to correct a good wipe down with ONR if it gets dusty and then another full ONR wash before LSP. It definitely slows me down a little sometimes, but it`s never been so bad that it`s a deal breaker. I use a 10x10 canopy for shade if it gets too hot in the sun. Sometimes having to deal with the dust and pollen makes me miss my shop but it hasn`t affected my quality at all.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Pollen is certainly an enemy. One day outside is a car caked full of pollen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grasa
    I work outside 90% of the time. I usually give the panel I`m about to correct a good wipe down with ONR if it gets dusty and then another full ONR wash before LSP. It definitely slows me down a little sometimes, but it`s never been so bad that it`s a deal breaker. I use a 10x10 canopy for shade if it gets too hot in the sun. Sometimes having to deal with the dust and pollen makes me miss my shop but it hasn`t affected my quality at all.

Great advice. Just ONR (or waterless wash) the next panel and that way you`ll know the dust is gone prior to polishing it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information