Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon everyone!

I was a detailer for 3 years before i changed my profession and became a career firefighter. Over those 3 years I was spoiled with the tools my boss provided me. I wouldnt give up my job to go back into the business(no offense) but I`ve been getting the itch to build up my own little arsenal of tools to do the famliy vehicles. Right now I`m focusing on buying a DA poilsher. For the price and the great reviews I`m set on a griots DA polisher.

My dilema right now is which type/brand pads to buy for it. I see all these differenet "cross cut, waffle cut etc" style of pads and am not sure which is best for a amateur like myself. Also, which cuts of pads would be good to start. Both vehicles have minor surface scratches and blemishes that i would like to tackle. I was trained on a dewalt rotary and even got proficient in wet sanding and buffing. So im confident in my skills but am not sure what to buy because these new styles are all new to me. I figured I would need 4-6 assorted pads. Which ones is the question. Do i go with the high cut, light cut and two different finishing pads? This is where i`m confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Good choice with the Griots Polisher--can`t beat the power and lifetime warranty in that price range.

From everything I`ve read stick with flat pads--no dimples or waffles--to get the most out of the GG6. Even though the GG6 can handle larger pads 5.5" pads are prefered by most so you might as well make the switch now before you invest in allot of pads. On you first 5 or 6 pack of pads you`ll save enough to buy a 5" backing plate so then on each future 5 or 6 pack you`ll save about $15. I started with 4 pads for each step--4 orange for heavier correction, 4 green for polishing, 4 black for final finishing and one red for each LSP I use and have found this to be a good start for a weekend warrrior.

Buff & Shine, HD and Uber pads all seem to be the same and are really high in quality--no delamination that I`ve experienced or heard of. Good source for B&S pads and 5" backing plate with good prices and good shipping Buff and Shine - Autoality Incorporated

You might want to take a look at the polishing products from our sponsor here HD--very effective, long working time, no dusting and easy to remove---3D International, LLC :: Polishes & Compounds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    You might want to take a look at the polishing products from our sponsor here HD--very effective, long working time, no dusting and easy to remove---3D International, LLC :: Polishes & Compounds

From the amount of reviews that I have seen and read, I believe HD will be my first purchase towards paint correction and protection. Can you recommend which product(s) I should purchase? I have two vehicles, one (2013 kia soul) with very little scratches and second (98 dakota) that is in dire need of correction (clearcoat peeling, scratches/marring/holograms, etc).

I am thinking HD Cut, HD Uno, and HD Poxy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyAl3x
    From the amount of reviews that I have seen and read, I believe HD will be my first purchase towards paint correction and protection. Can you recommend which product(s) I should purchase? I have two vehicles, one (2013 kia soul) with very little scratches and second (98 dakota) that is in dire need of correction (clearcoat peeling, scratches/marring/holograms, etc).

I am thinking HD Cut, HD Uno, and HD Poxy?

I was reluctant to respond to your post as I don`t have experience with the two vehicles you mention, but perhaps my reply will jog others to chime in. I would think HD Polish or HD Speed may be all you`ll need for the Soul---Speed alone has some cut to it based on the pad choice & machine speed and as a follow up to Polish using black pads it is fantastic. I was able to clear up all the light washed induced marring on my VW hard clearcoat with Speed and orange pads.

Clearly on the Dakota you`ll need HD Cut, but with the failing CC I don`t know what to recommend--at least you`ve got something to practice on before you tackle the Soul.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed that LC makes foam wool pads. Anyone have any experience with using this pad or similar pads? Will these pads work well on a DA polisher? I have used all wool pads on a rotary before just never on a DA. Will they make a difference of just stick to the heavy cut foam pads or correction?

Thanks, Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IAFF78
    I just noticed that LC makes foam wool pads. Anyone have any experience with using this pad or similar pads? Will these pads work well on a DA polisher? I have used all wool pads on a rotary before just never on a DA. Will they make a difference of just stick to the heavy cut foam pads or correction?

Thanks, Kevin

The LC Purple Foamed Wool ("PFW") pads are OK, but IME the newer Microfiber Cutting Disks (I use the ones from Meguiar`s) are infinitely better and have basically rendered the PFW (and a lot of other aggressive pads) obsolete.

For serious correction, just get the Meg`s Cutting Disks. They`re *that* good.

If you really want foam cutting pads, I keep amazing myself with how much I like the Meguiar`s maroon color ones, both their newer-tech ones (forget the part#) and their older 7006 ones. Other than those, the various orange light-cut pads are generally OK.

But [REPEAT my MF Cutting Disk advice]....

And no, they`re not terrible-aggressive either, so they won`t be "too much".

Follow up with somebody`s Polishing Pad and it oughta work out great.

And yeah, stick with *FLAT* pads.

Thread Information