Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I have a few questions I wanted answered before I pulled the trigger on a new polisher!

`

I`ve always hand detailed my cars for years, realizing now how much time I waste doing it by hand.

`

Anyways, I just purchased a 2013 black nissan altima and it`s loaded with swirls since the place I bought it from washed it several hundred times through those automated car washes.

`

I for sure don`t want to tackle this by hand and I really don`t want to pay someone to buff it for me (quoting me 500$), esp since I love to keep my car clean and shiny I might as well learn how to do it myself using a polisher.

`

Okay onto the question. I read a bunch on polishers but I am still kind of clueless you know, don`t really understand something until I do it myself then I can learn it fast.

`

I was going to purchase the porter cable 7424XP polisher since everyone seems to think it`s one of the best for learning. (and safe for my clear coat)

But later on today I discovered a polisher my room mate left behind a year ago in storage but since I don`t know much about them I decided to ask you guys if this polisher is usable to remove those nasty swirls on this new car or should I just purchase the PC polisher. I am unable to find reviews or any kind of relevant information on this item.

`

Heres the webpage for the polisher I found:`http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Mod...spx?Name=9227C

`

Anyways, bottom line. Nasty swirls on my black car, best option to remove them? Buy that Porter cable polisher or figure out how to use the one I found (wether its easy to use or safe for my paint/clear coat)

`

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia!!!

`

That polisher is a direct drive Rotary polisher--without the proper skill and allot of practice`there is a high chance of you burning through your paint.` As a beginner stick with a random orbital dual action polisher like the Porter Gable, Griots Garage DA or Harbor Freight random orbital -- they are safe and with the proper pads and polishing products you can accomplish what you need on your paint.

`

The Griots Garage DA is by far the best for the money`of the standard DA machines as it has the most power and a lifetime warranty.`` If money is a consideration the Harbor Freight unit is more powerful than the PC and you can pick it up for about $50 and another $10 for a 2 year replacement warranty.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

p2flol- Welcome to Autopia!

`

Yeah, skip the rotary.` Just don`t go there.

`

I disagree about the idea that the`PCXP is the best to start with.` My big gripe with it is that if the (hollow!) shaft that the backingplate/pad mounts to breaks (and it *has* broken for some users) it can cause severe damage.

`

I too recommend the Griot`s Garage 6" Random Orbital.` I simply love mine, and and I have a lot of other polishers to compare it with.`

Post Thanks / Like

My first polisher was the PC 7424xp and it`s still in my arsenal today. Never had a problem with it and it`s definitely user friendly. It`s now dedicated to mostly applying waxes since I have the Rupes 21.

`

That being said the Griots has a little more power and comes with a lifetime warranty so you really can`t go wrong.

`

With either unit your going to want to switch the backing plate to a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads with it. You`ll get far better results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay`s

..With either unit `[PCXO or GG] `your going to want to switch the backing plate to a 5" backing plate and use 5.5" pads with it. You`ll get far better results.

You know how I always said that you gotta use smaller pads to get anything done?` I was *very* surprised at how well the GG works with 6" pads, and that was on hard clear too.` I do believe that 5-5.5" would work even better, but I`ve changed my tune about how 6-6.5" pads are useless on the Griot`s.

Thread Information