Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJayV10
    Is the FG-400 diminishing?

Not only does Menzerna mill abrasives as fine as 0.3 µ (micron), they have developed some of the tightest quality control procedures in the industry. These diminishing abrasive polishes are foam pad ‘dependant’ as far as its paint correction / renovation abilities are concerned and they appear to work better when the foam pad is ‘primed’
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    a true one step - something like menzerna 203/hydrotec tangerine pad on the DA, sonax perfect finish on the black pad via DA

an AIO one step - DA with optimum poliseal/white or black pad

Never do a one step with a compound and a cutting pad...I heard of a very reputable detailer doing once steps with 105 and a megs burgandy pad....knocked him off of my "reputable, ill send him work" list. I dont care how hard the paint is, a compound will never finish out well enough! The goal of a one step isnt defect removal, its gloss enhancement with a byproduct being some defect removal. Otherwise, why not 105/surbuf for a one step and throw some wax on it - after all, defects are removed....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    a true one step - something like menzerna 203/hydrotec tangerine pad on the DA, sonax perfect finish on the black pad via DA

Never do a one step with a compound and a cutting pad...I heard of a very reputable detailer doing once steps with 105 and a megs burgandy pad....knocked him off of my "reputable, ill send him work" list. I dont care how hard the paint is, a compound will never finish out well enough! The goal of a one step isnt defect removal, its gloss enhancement with a byproduct being some defect removal. Otherwise, why not 105/surbuf for a one step and throw some wax on it - after all, defects are removed....

Good post man. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna PO203S/PO106FA or Sonax Perfect finish.

Post Thanks / Like

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like

Xpert ultra which does the job of a compound, polish and finishing polish can be used as a one step to correct and finish out with no marring from itself with a DA. Sure I wouldn`t use a burgundy pad, Id use microfibre polishing pads which even on black cars that are fairly soft, turn out marr free.

I`d say 3D HD Uno , polish and speed could be used the same way with many pads and finish out great with a one step as could system one X3 aka System 51

there seems to be a difference in what everyone classes as a one step. some do 85 to 100% correction with superb gloss whilst others do alot less correction and more gloss enhancement, so thus why I have two different one step services to cover both
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m getting out of my Megs 105/205 comfort zone and I`m lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJayV10
    I`m getting out of my Megs 105/205 comfort zone and I`m lost.

And that`s totally fine. Those are great polishing compounds. At the end of the day all that matters is what works well for you. But, it`s always a great idea to research new & exciting tools and products......
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    And that`s totally fine. Those are great polishing compounds. At the end of the day all that matters is what works well for you. But, it`s always a great idea to research new & exciting tools and products......

I agree 100%. I`m trying to learn as much "good/quality" info and not get caught up in the hype. That`s the main reason I like this site, there`s not a lot of hype unless its well founded.

I`m going to order a Rupes this weekend. I`m doing a black 10` Denali next weekend which is a train wreck. After seeing how much real estate there is, using the PC would take me forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Never do a one step with a compound and a cutting pad...I heard of a very reputable detailer doing once steps with 105 and a megs burgandy pad....knocked him off of my "reputable, ill send him work" list. I dont care how hard the paint is, a compound will never finish out well enough!

After having a long conversation with someone very reputable in the business tonight my views on this have completely changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me rephrase it. My views on "pad A is used for cutting and pad B is used for polishing" has completely changed. The same goes for the compounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    care to share your new thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr
    care to share your new thoughts?

That the compound and the technique has more to do with the way it finishes out than the pad does(to a point I`m sure) Changing pressure, arm speed and machine speed will dictate the type of finish. You can correct with a finishing pad and correct with a polish pad and depending on the pad you can finish with a cutting pad.

I`m still trying to wrap my head around it and it does make sense. I`m sure I`m going to get flamed but that`s ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    probably why people use the same mf pads for compounding and final polishing. makes sense. though i`ll still keep multiple pads for different scenarios

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information