Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    What about the Cyclo? It`s got a long stoke and the limiting factor (IMHO) is that no one makes a 4" MF pad........WHY? I have a white Suburban coming in this weekend and the Cyclo with orange pads using a mix of M101 (BIG THANKS to Mike Napoli) and D300. I`m using this combo over my PC`s with MF and my rotary cause this beast is big, but just needs a good 1 step. I figure I`m covering 8" or more with each pass, plus my hands just can`t take the vibes from the PC for the amount of time required to do this thing.

I am interested in your new machine, hope to see some vids on YouTube about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I think it needs to be 4" to work.

Chemical Guys says their MF pads will work on the Cyclo. I don`t have any experience with them. I was on their site and saw the pads and remembered someone was asking about them earlier.

Microfiber Pads, micorfiber polishing, buffing, polishing, detailing car care OPTICAL SELECT BUFFING + POLISH PADS

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJayV10
    Chemical Guys says their MF pads will work on the Cyclo..

Looking at that link, they say their *5.5"* pads will work on the Cyclo. I`d bet against that; the Cyclo needs 4" pads.

Smaller ones like the 3.5" might work, but you`ll lose the majority of whatever the "overlapping pad paths" bring to the table.

The larger ones like the 5.5" simply won`t work properly as even (properly sized) 4" pads have to be aligned just right lest they bump into each other too much (that "overlap" thing again).

Post Thanks / Like
    Optimum has 4.25" MF pads, but would that be too much over hang (1/8 inch)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    Optimum has 4.25" MF pads, but would that be too much over hang (1/8 inch)?

Cyclo newbies have posted concerns about the way 4" pads bump into each other! Getting any pads centered just right (assuming you`re not using the Edge system, which does work great on the Cyclo) is a bit of a chore. So I`m leaning towards "probably not a great idea".

Guess we won`t know until somebody tries, but I`m so :think: about it that I probably will *not* be that guy. And hey, I`d sure love to get the expected level of correction out of my Cyclos!

So maybe somebody will try it, it`ll work great, and my concerns will be proven unfounded. That`d be swell by me

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown
    I know what Marco meant, as I`ve had off-line discussions and debates to quite a degree.

Marco believes that by freeing up backing plate rotation, there`s a chance that the backing plate will spin unabated, ramping up rotation to an un-stabilizing and potentially damaging or dangerous level. The damage or danger occurs if the machine is throttled up prior to placing it in contact with the paint surface.

Although nobody I`ve ever met starts the machine prior to setting against the paint, this was apparently a concern (for other parts of the world).

What do you suppose would happen if you decided to place the still-running machine against a painted panel? Would the backing plate and pad stall, or start to rotate?

It depends. If the pad was placed in LIGHT contact with the panel... AND there was enough drag created by the pad as it contacted the panel, then rotation would slow. As long as the bearing wasn`t loaded to a higher degree, internal bearing friction would remain very low (so there would be very little interaction or contact between the internal bearing, and bearing race). We still have to realize that there`s some fluid dynamics present, so the bearing`s lubricating fluid could affect rotation (increasing it).

What if you placed un excessive amount of pressure against the machine in hopes of squashing the pad and loading the bearing?

At some point, backing plate rotation would stall. But, if you continued to add pressure AND the machine`s motor did not bog, THEN you would see the backing plate ramp up its speed, at least until the bearing`s internal friction became too high (at which point the bearing would become inefficient, and would slow or fail).

Where does this lead? No seriously.. I`m lost now.

Oh yeah!

If the goal was to scrub excessive backing plate rotation during free-spin in a free-air situation, I doubt the premise was a good one. I think the goal was to scrub backing rotation while the plate was under load, during use. After all, it is a fact that when the LHR 21ES is used at high speed, it can become unstable.. If the machine is tilted, or the pad encounters some sort of bulge or flared section of a panel, the machine`s large offset can cause the pad to grab and steer the machine onto its side. Although this instability is not a big or notable issue when using thin or pliable pads, it certainly becomes an issue when using a tall or inflexible pad (such as the Rupes blue pad, or a closed cell dense foam cutting pad).

Oh my gosh, it`s late and I`m punchy. I hope at least some of this makes sense.

Good luck deciphering it all!

KB, thanks for your thought on this... I`m actually one of those who would never stop my rotary between sections. I would turn it down to speed 1,buff residue, apply polish to paint and then buff again.

I tried to remove the bp and then let the rupes spin at speed 6 and it`s indeed rotating violently the vibration is so unbearable, with the bp polishing in the air no problem with vibration or such. So yes I can see how the bp tucked agains the housing (whatever it`s called) is a way to give some control to the machine. I`m still at lost deciphering what you are trying to say here.. Can you opine on whether it safe to continue using the rupes with the washer mod the way I use my rotary ? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sulla
    KB, thanks for your thought on this... I`m actually one of those who would never stop my rotary between sections. I would turn it down to speed 1, buff residue, apply polish to paint, and then buff again.

Yeah, not ideal to do the same thing with a random orbital.

With a rotary, it`s convenient & easy to apply additional buffing liquid to the paint and then "pull" it into the pad. With a random orbital, quite a bit harder and uncomfortable to tilt the machine and pull the product in. Unless you`re being really careful, there`s a high likelihood that buffing liquid will splatter all over the place.

I tried to remove the bp and then let the rupes spin at speed 6 and it`s indeed rotating violently the vibration is so unbearable, with the bp polishing in the air no problem with vibration or such.

I`m not sure why you would remove the plate and then run the machine, just to see how out of balance the machine becomes.

That`s akin to pulling a tire off its wheel, and then being surprised that the balancing weights attached to the wheel have caused the wheel itself to become unbalanced.

So yes, I can see how the bp tucked against the housing is a way to give some control to the machine.

The claim is... that it was done IN CASE someone started the machine prior to placing on the polishing surface.

It wasn`t done SO THAT someone would be able to do it.

I`m still at lost deciphering what you are trying to say here.

Sorry for that, I must have missed the mark this time. I am saying that I prefer that the backing plate be allowed to spin freely. I want as much rotation as I can get out of the machine, and prefer to control the amount via speed setting.

l would much rather have to SLOW the machine down to MINIMIZE backing plate rotation versus having to SPEED the machine up in order to INCREASE it.

Can you opine on whether it safe to continue using the rupes with the washer mod the way I use my rotary ? Thanks.

Washer or no washer... * DO NOT * run the machine unloaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kevin Brown;1533009

l would much rather have to SLOW the machine down to MINIMIZE backing plate rotation versus having to SPEED the machine up in order to INCREASE it.

I`m lost, isn`t that what a speed switch is suppose to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=Legacy99][QUOTE=Kevin Brown;1533009

I`m lost, isn`t that what a speed switch is suppose to do?[/quote]

Well, yea, but I think it has more to do with rotation then speed :fish:

Post Thanks / Like
    If this has been covered I apologize. What are the speed settings on the Rupes? What speeds do most use to cut and polish? I have a PC7424 and normally use speeds 4 and 5 unless I`m applying a wax/sealant. I haven`t received my Rupes yet and I assume its in the instruction manual. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin Brown would be the best person to answer that question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    I`m lost, isn`t that what a speed switch is suppose to do?

I thought it was understood that the speed dial controls oscillation speed.

Hmm, let`s see... You`ve got 4-1/2 times the amount of posts that I do, so you must already know this. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was understood that the speed dial controls oscillation speed.

Hmm, let`s see... You`ve got 4-1/2 times the amount of posts that I do, so you must already know this. :nixweiss
    If I asked a stupid question, I`m sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, not ideal to do the same thing with a random orbital.

I`m not sure why you would remove the plate and then run the machine, just to see how out of balance the machine becomes.

That`s akin to pulling a tire off its wheel, and then being surprised that the balancing weights attached to the wheel have caused the wheel itself to become unbalanced.

I guest I just lacked common sense, just wanted to verify what marco and you said about the bigfoot`s power. The rupes being not loud,combined with the 500 watt power made me think it can be that powerful...running it at speed 6 without the bp and oh yeah...i forgot that it`s 4200 rpm...

I am saying that I prefer that the backing plate be allowed to spin freely. I want as much rotation as I can get out of the machine, and prefer to control the amount via speed setting.

Washer or no washer... * DO NOT * run the machine unloaded.

With the washer I no longer bog down at speed 1, interestingly speed 2 and 3 actually I notice a little bit of slowing down in bp rotation (Seems to be its electrical mechanism controlling excessive rotation).. Speed 4 and up no more bogging down...

I guess what I`m trying to ask is.. what`s the worst that could happen running the machine unloaded ? Sorry for lack of common sense, it`s just that looking at how beastly my bosch rotary spins and how benign the rupes is even with the washer mod.. I can`t yet to see danger looming ?

Post Thanks / Like
    the worst that could happen is the pad flys off.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Sulla, run your Bosch rotary with a pad that is set 21 millimeters off center and run it. You`ll see some of the forces that the Bigfoot is creating and harnessing. The Euro market is very/overly strict on many things regarding safety and that`s where it`s built so that`s the mentality your dealing with.

Their thought is that they could control and balance its orbit by mechanical means, but due to the nature of a random orbital the backing plate spins freely/uncontrollably, so they designed it to "rub" the backing plate to control the "excess" backing plate rotation that may be created. The washer lifts the BP just enough to allow the backing plate to spin free again, just like it is on the Griots, Meguiars, Porter Cable and most other DA`s used for polishing paint.

Now if the question is why do you need or want the added backing plate rotation then I`d suggest reading Kevin`s article on that.

Hope this helps

Mike

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information