Post Thanks / Like
    hey guys i am starting to collect polishes for personal use, going to use it on my 2 month old black(non metallic) VW passat as well as my 67 el camino with single stage that had a repaint done years and years ago.

for a polisher i got the PC 7424 and a variety of pads from 4" to 5.5" all lake country, i have black, orange, yellow, and white(all in 5.5") and orange, black, and green in 4"(the 4" pads are dimpled, there were part of a starter kit)

i have megs 105 and 205 as well as poli-seal and menzerna po 115c finish glaze. i was recommended menzerna ff3000 or ff4000 to remove bug marks off of rock guard as well(they seem to have etched into the clear bra) and i dont know which to chose(which one will be able to be used in more circumstances)

my goals are to get the passat done well enough to apply opti-coat (daily driver) and to just improve the el camino(paint is rather rough just want it to be good enough for local shows) i was also thinking of ordering menzerna PO85RD as i have read it is amazing for the black paint (a jewelling effect). does all of this seem right and all i need to do is actually get the time and do it or am i missing something or overdoing it?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, keep it simple. A good, solid compound followed by Meguiar`s 205 will take care of everything you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t know what condition your VW is in, but I`ve had very good results with HD Polish on our two. Golf is new, non metallic black, but had water etching from the dealer and HD Polish removed the problem areas with a B&S yellow pad and finished excellent. Passat is 6 years old, but in great shape and HD Speed (which is just HD Polish with HD POXY in it) removed 95% of the micro marring with B&S orange pads. Very easy to use--long working time, no dust, easy wipe off with no oily residue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d see how the 105 and 205 work out for you first, since you already have it - no sense in getting more products that you might not need without having used the ones you already have. I personally like how versatile 205 can be, depending on the pad used - on my Toyota paint, I can use it as a one-step with a Tangerine pad, or as a refining step after compounding with a Crimson pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m another big fan of not complicating things unnecessarily, but I`m not always satisified with how M205 finishes out. Sure, it might be user-error, but it`s simple enough to fo a final polish with something else (usually Menzerna) so I`m not 100% convinced that having the M105/M205 twins covers all the bases.

I`d pick up either some PO85RD or 3D Polish or something else along those lines.

Thread Information